I have an Ibanez RG4EX1, with an edge III tremolo. The bridge has always been a pain in the ass, but I always figured that that's how all floating bridges are. Now I've been hearing that Edge III sucks, and that there are much better tremolo's out there. I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble to get a new tremolo or just sell my guitar and go for a new one.
See, money is my main concern here. If it's going to cost a ton of money to get a new tremolo, than I'd rather just sell my Ibanez and get a new guitar. But then again, how much would I really get from selling my guitar? I don't want to sell it if I'm not going to get a good deal on it. Also, If i buy a new bridge, can I get it professionally installed, and for how much?
Any help at all is greatly appreciated
If it doesn't bother you that much, I say keep it. Some people will always talk garbage about something just because they didn't like it.
you can either get a kahler bridge or get a guitar with a standard stop tail or string thru bridge such as an Ltd or an Epiphone.
check finished listings on ebay to see the rough going rate for your guitar used.

Then see how much a known good trem (e.g. OFR, schaller, gotoh) costs where you are.

Also you need to check it's a direct swap (including the studs). If not it's a bit of a faff unless you're DIY-minded.

Basically see how much it costs to upgrade the trem versus how much you can sell your guitar for versus how much you can buy a guitar with a known good trem for.

Obviously you already knew all that, lol. But I mean if you're not particularly attached to your current guitar I'd sell it and get something else with a good trem, which would probably be a nicer guitar too. Assuming it falls under budget. The only real reason for spending a lot of money on upgrades is if you love the guitar or aren't going to get rid of it for sentimental reasons. Or if the upgrades are way cheaper than buying a better guitar which already has those upgrades.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?