Well, let's hope I don't come across as a complete idiot with this question... I have a tune-o-matic bridge and I noticed one of the pieces was loose. I don't know the exact name for it, but it's the piece that the string rests on. The piece for my D string was wiggling around a bit, so I tried tightening it with a screw driver and ended up moving it from its original position. How does the position of this piece affect the playability of my guitar? Is there any correct position for them to be in?

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/tuneomatic.jpg/

In that photo they're all positioned in the center, they were all in different positions on my guitar.
Its the string saddle. Moving it will effect your intonation. The correct position is when its intonated.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Sounds like what you moved is the saddle.This is an adjustment screw for adjusting the intonation of the string.What you want to do is tune your D string with a tuner,then finger the D string at the 12th fret and check to see if is in tune.If it is sharp move saddle away from the neck,flat move saddle closer to the neck.If the intonation is off the notes you play will be out of tune.
Quote by RockRolla
Sounds like what you moved is the saddle.This is an adjustment screw for adjusting the intonation of the string.What you want to do is tune your D string with a tuner,then finger the D string at the 12th fret and check to see if is in tune.If it is sharp move saddle away from the neck,flat move saddle closer to the neck.If the intonation is off the notes you play will be out of tune.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice... I'll get on that right away.
Quote by nowa90
Its the string saddle. Moving it will effect your intonation. The correct position is when its intonated.

This
Was it loose when the string was off it, or resting on it and tuned?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
This
Was it loose when the string was off it, or resting on it and tuned?

It was loose when the string was on it and tuned...