Hello just me again. wanted to know if it was possible to modify my epihpone valve special to have more gain on tap. i am to poor to buy a different amp, and already have a good overdrive. i just wanted to know if either getting different tubes or actually moddifying the amp will make it have more gain. thanks in advance!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by AcousticMirror
not without drastically modifying the amp no.

okay thank you

Would a big muff pedal get a good black sabbath tone? and if it could whihc model? Tone whicker one, pi one, russian one, little big one? which one! there are so many!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
You might be able to put a gain booster on your guitar (Alexi Laiho and Kerry King use one) but it probably won't have the desired effect.
Quote by Somekid94
You might be able to put a gain booster on your guitar (Alexi Laiho and Kerry King use one) but it probably won't have the desired effect.

again thank you for the information. like i said probably good idea just to get a big muff than modify my amp...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
You could get an active preamp, or some sort of distortion pedal, but there's always the option of the Black Ice mod, of getting two schottkey diodes and putting them in anti-parallel and wiring it up like a tone pot, it will clip the signal to make it more distorted. It will make it a little quieter, but then you can just turn your amp up.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
You could get an active preamp, or some sort of distortion pedal, but there's always the option of the Black Ice mod, of getting two schottkey diodes and putting them in anti-parallel and wiring it up like a tone pot, it will clip the signal to make it more distorted. It will make it a little quieter, but then you can just turn your amp up.

my brain is smoking...you broke me man. waaaaaaaaaaay to technial XD.

but can someone please answer my question about the big muff above?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Well when you say gain, do you want it to be louder or more distorted?

A Big Muff Pi wouldn't be a bad choice, it does a lot of things well, it will both boost and distort your signal.

If all you wanted was a quick distortion control, that's why I brought up the Black Ice Mod, as you can control it from your guitar.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Well when you say gain, do you want it to be louder or more distorted?

A Big Muff Pi wouldn't be a bad choice, it does a lot of things well, it will both boost and distort your signal.

If all you wanted was a quick distortion control, that's why I brought up the Black Ice Mod, as you can control it from your guitar.

I would would like distortion. yes. but which one of the big muff's is the best out of what i listed above? i dont have a guitar center near me so i cant test them each...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Get your hands on a boost pedal. This will help overdrive the first pre-amp tube of your amp. Giving you more gain! Some examples are the MXR Micro amp

okay check. there is another pedal to look at.

After looking at the micro amp all i see is a gain setting. wouldnt it be better just to get a big muff? or am i missing something...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
okay check. there is another pedal to look at.

After looking at the micro amp all i see is a gain setting. wouldnt it be better just to get a big muff? or am i missing something...

Yes. Try and find a rams head USA version. The Russian one has less gain than the USA one.
Quote by samhell
Yes. Try and find a rams head USA version. The Russian one has less gain than the USA one.

rams head? i thout there was just pi, little big muff, russian one, and the tone wicker one.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
It seems to me that you could put a master volume in without having to modify the amp a ton. That would allow you to drive the tubes harder at a lower over all volume giving more gain at a reasonable volume.
EDIT:You can a ton of resources on google, but this one looks like a good site to me.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."
Last edited by Uhh, Tanner at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Uhh, Tanner
It seems to me that you could put a master volume in without having to modify the amp a ton. That would allow you to drive the tubes harder at a lower over all volume giving more gain at a reasonable volume.
EDIT:You can a ton of resources on google, but this one looks like a good site to me.

i have the valve SPECIAL. notthe junior. it has trebble, mid, bass, gain, volume, and some bad dsp effects that they just had to add..
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Ah, should have read that more carefully.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."
Quote by Uhh, Tanner
Ah, should have read that more carefully.

its okay I think im gonna get the usa big muff pi and use my tube driver as a boost.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
rams head? i thout there was just pi, little big muff, russian one, and the tone wicker one.

All you will ever need to know about the Big Muff:

http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

I've built most of those. With my setup, the rams head version sounded the best. I have two factory Russian ones built in different years and they sound a little different but still darker and less gainy than the rams head.
Quote by samhell
All you will ever need to know about the Big Muff:

http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

I've built most of those. With my setup, the rams head version sounded the best. I have two factory Russian ones built in different years and they sound a little different but still darker and less gainy than the rams head.

i went on ebay and rams starting at 380 however, the basic usa one sound nice...i think ill buy that one...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
i went on ebay and rams starting at 380 however, the basic usa one sound nice...i think ill buy that one...

Just build it. Most of the old pedals are easy to build yourself. Plus you can tweak parts to make it sound however you want. The parts are only a few bucks...
Leave the gain alone. Less is more! But if you really need try the metal muff. Good the Black Sabbath tone you mentioned earlier. Well I geuss it depends what album your looking at. For Masters of Reality tone that's the pedal for but if you want an earlier Sabbath tone look elsewhere.
Just try before you buy though.
Quote by Mr Bombastic
Leave the gain alone. Less is more!

agree 100%....you don't want gain on top of gain, it just becomes thin and messy.

I run a BSIAB2 in front of my blackstar (HT5h) and it sounds awesome....BUT..... I drop the gain on the amp down to around half (12 o'clock) and the gain on the pedal down to about 2 at most, but the volume of the pedal is almost on full and the tone is on full. This way you stay out of the fuzz zone...although I guess with a sabbath sound you probably want the fuzz, but remember iommi didn't have a hugely distorted sound in modern terms

i just took a look at the schematic of the epi valve standard to check for similarities to the valve junior, which i have modified my own to have a pretty thick high gain sound.

if you look at the the schematic, after the first gain stage, V1a and b, it goes through R12 (1M) and into the gain pot (1M) as well. it forms a voltage divider that is variable from no signal to half of the original signal. that means after the first gain stage only half of the amplified signal makes it to the second stage. It was probably designed like that to limit the max distortion sound. the valve jr has a similar design in it.

You can remove R12 and replace it with a jumper for maximum drive into the second stage (when the gain pot is at 10). Or you can tweak the voltage divider and replace it with any value less than 1M for more drive. I think 100K would be nice. A clever man would replace R12 with a board mounted 1M trimmer and tweak it until he found the sweet spot.

Since you are lowering that R12 part value, the overall sound will be brighter, but that is ok since you have an EQ. You might have some feedback issues, if so raise the value until feedback is no longer an issue.

20 minutes and a $1 part from radio shack should get your overdrive sound a little ballsier.