I had an argument with a friend recently on the subject of the differences and similarities in attaining a Bachelor of the Arts and a Bachelor of the Sciences.

My friend is under the impression of two things:

Firstly, he says that for every single degree - for the most part - that can be obtained in a B.A. can also be obtained in a B.S. and vice versa. For instance, he says you can gain a B.A. in history or english, as well as a B.S. in history or English. A B.S. can be obtained in microbiology as well as a B.S.

Additionally, he says that because a B.A. and a B.S. can both be obtained in any major, a B.S. is the superior degree as well as the most challenging.

I am under the impression that a B.S. is applied to degrees relating to sciences such as chemistry, biology, engineering, maths, etc. and that a B.A. can be applied to the liberal arts such as English, history, political science, etc.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Too many letters

Welcome to 1st grade.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Well my professor for Graphic Design always brought this up. A BA will make you a more well-rounded individual while a BS is hardcore-whatever you're studying meaning that a BS will make you take more technical classes and actually prepare you better for a career.
I know for sure my school offers a B.A. in Chemistry. Not sure about others though.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
My degree will be a B.A. degree. Even if I had a choice, it'd be B.A.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
My degree will be a B.A. degree. Even if I had a choice, it'd be B.A.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

I am under the impression that a B.S. is applied to degrees relating to sciences such as chemistry, biology, engineering, maths, etc. and that a B.A. can be applied to the liberal arts such as English, history, political science, etc.

Thats how it is at my uni.
At my college, no BS degree is also a BA degree. If you want to major in Biology, it's a BS in Biology. If you want to be an English major, it's a BA in English.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by Ticket48
At my college, no BS degree is also a BA degree. If you want to major in Biology, it's a BS in Biology. If you want to be an English major, it's a BA in English.

I thought that is how everything is
This thread is full of BS.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Should've done what I'm doing, an Associates in Arts and another Associates in Applied Science for Paramedic. Best of both worlds

Joking. Don't do what I'm doing, I'm going to have to end up getting a BS one of these days, just took two years to figure out what I wanted.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Your friend is an idiot.
Quote by metaldud536
Well my professor for Graphic Design always brought this up. A BA will make you a more well-rounded individual while a BS is hardcore-whatever you're studying meaning that a BS will make you take more technical classes and actually prepare you better for a career.

What? No, that's not how it ****ing works. I'm doing an honours major (ie. "hardcore-whatever") in philosophy, that doesn't mean I get a science degree. BA- bachelor of arts. BS- Bachelor of science. If you are majoring in chemistry, you get a BS. If you are majoring in history, you get a BA. What's so complicated about this?

Most schools have a science and an arts faculty. Whatever faculty you are a part of determines the type of degree you get, not how "hardcore" you studied. There is no difference in the quality of the degree, it just reflects what you studied. If you studied accounting, you get a bachelor of commerce.

That said, different schools operate differently. Perhaps your school is run by retards who decided to call an honours bachelor a bachelor of science.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by rjdusa

The BA is easier.

What are you talking about? They are the same, except for one has room for electives and one doesn't. If you take advanced particle physics for your electives, the BA is harder.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
What are you talking about? They are the same, except for one has room for electives and one doesn't. If you take advanced particle physics for your electives, the BA is harder.

Easier Calculus, Physics, and P.Chem options.
No Multivariable Calculus requirement.
The elective courses are generally easier than the upper-level courses. (I didn't put the list up because it'd take to much room.)
You only need 9 credits worth of electives vs. 12 credits of upper levels.

Seems like an easier degree to me.

EDIT:
Quote by Vornik
Your friend is an idiot.

What? No, that's not how it ****ing works. I'm doing an honours major (ie. "hardcore-whatever") in philosophy, that doesn't mean I get a science degree. BA- bachelor of arts. BS- Bachelor of science. If you are majoring in chemistry, you get a BS. If you are majoring in history, you get a BA. What's so complicated about this?

Most schools have a science and an arts faculty. Whatever faculty you are a part of determines the type of degree you get, not how "hardcore" you studied. There is no difference in the quality of the degree, it just reflects what you studied. If you studied accounting, you get a bachelor of commerce.

That said, different schools operate differently. Perhaps your school is run by retards who decided to call an honours bachelor a bachelor of science.

The B.A. is more rounded for chemistry, because the electives get you into other fields. The B.S. is only more "hardcore" in the sense that it's more focused.
Last edited by rjdusa at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by Vornik
Your friend is an idiot.

I think he meant that a BS is more technical and specified for job fields, arts you get electives. Because arts degrees are generally bull. Nothing about honors there buddy, philililililililosophize about that.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Quote by Vornik
Your friend is an idiot.

Well I was speaking in the sense of graphic design. With a BA in graphic design we could take classes not related to our degree and we'd also have to satisfy a requirement for general ed classes.

A BS on the other hand was nothing but design classes.

Some majors let you get a degree in either or both. Some don't.
Quote by DangerPat 00
I think he meant that a BS is more technical and specified for job fields, arts you get electives. Because arts degrees are generally bull. Nothing about honors there buddy, philililililililosophize about that.

Philosophy is not something that most people can major in. Don't go bashing his degree and don't go around saying that art degrees don't get you anything.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society