hey guys, whats up...i was listening to "More than a feeling" earlier and just thought..."Hey!...how do you get that type of awesome tones from my guitar?!"

so i figured i would ask you guys lol

i have a Line 6 Spider 4 15w (but i will soon be buying a Peavey Classic 30), a Epi Les Paul and a Digitech rp355

i know, its not the best set up...but it soon will be alot better lol

anyway, what are the settings i need to have and what not...

this may be a horrendously noobish question, but im just curious as to how one goes about aquiring that tone/sound
total studio magic. Boston's tone was very studio bound with a lot of help from tom sholtz's knowledge of electronics. he invented the rockman which was based on the Boston sound (but didn't totally get it). just for the record back in 78 on Bostons first tour people were very disappointed becasue they couldn't reproduce the sound live either.

to answer your ? you'd need a very smooth distortion and a harmonizer to get the basic sound. a little delay and then you'd have it. wit what you have i dunno if it is achievable
ah thanks for the lesson, i didnt know that...and i've been a fan of boston for YEARS lol...

ya, i could easily see how fans would have been dissapointed...because DAMN, they have such a unique sound...but i guess it would be equivalent to Led Zeppelin trying to play "When the Levee breaks" live...it wouldnt sound the same at all
I seem to remember reading a Tom Sholz interview and he even said its a nightmare to get those tones live.

Edit:
And they first toured in 76 or 77.
I saw them in Fresno, California.
The Outlaws opened for them and they kicked Boston's ass.

Edit2:
I can't remember how close they got to the studio sound cause I was pretty wasted.
Tip: NEVER EVER drink beer and Southern Comfort together. EVER.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 13, 2011,
move to boston and drop your "r's"
for practice...."pak the ca in the paking lot"
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
I'm waiting for Brett's epic post of epic.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by monwobobbo
total studio magic. Boston's tone was very studio bound with a lot of help from tom sholtz's knowledge of electronics. he invented the rockman which was based on the Boston sound (but didn't totally get it). just for the record back in 78 on Bostons first tour people were very disappointed becasue they couldn't reproduce the sound live either.

to answer your ? you'd need a very smooth distortion and a harmonizer to get the basic sound. a little delay and then you'd have it. wit what you have i dunno if it is achievable

Ok, so, like. Yeah, not totally true, first album was nothing more than cranked plexis les pauls (with p90s or a DiMarzio SuperDistortion) and a 6 band MXR EQ, very simple, the mics were 57s or the like. It was also 98% recorded in Scholz's basement (Minus "let me take you home tonight which was a "diversion" for scholz to record in his basement) as for actually getting the "boston" sound here is how I've gotten it before:

Well, here are a couple of links to help you get started...
Rockman-Gearup.com
Rockmancentral.com
Rockman.fr

Now, I recommend you start with a Rockman sustainer (100 or 200, doesn't matter 100 if you're on a budget) and rockman distortion generator. Use the Rockman sustainer for clean 1 and 2, that is your clean module, for yourOD use the DG, on EDGE and distortion. You're going to want to also buy a dual 15 band EQ I recommend the DBX 215, great little EQ for the price used, buy any will do. You're going to want to put the first part of the EQ BEFORE the Compresser of the sustainer, and tweak to your hearts delight. After the sustainer and DG I would put a Chorus/delay, and use the delay setting on 200ms (the higheset it goes) for making your chords really big and chunky. after that a Stereo Chorus Works great to fatten up your leads and chords on the "wide" setting. After all this put the second side of your EQ here and tweak some more. This will all run you about 650-750 USD on the used market. If you're really going for the Boston sound I recommend a LP style guitar with pretty hot pups (Scholz uses DiMarzio SDs) The best place to find the stuff is on ebay, but craigslist and gear ad's are always good places to look.

Other "rockmodules" I think you should have are the Stereo Echo and midi Octopus and midi pedal. Recommended not required.

If you can't get rockmodules the classic 50 will do ok.

Get a EQ run it like this :

run your amp LOUD and run something with humbuckers, run a very VERY VERY Subtle chorus in your loop along with about 200 ms of analog delay. You should also run something akin to a TS9 in front with the gain VERY low. the Distortion + is better (what scholz used albeit modded) as it has less mids) though.

that will get you close enough for covers, you can substitute a wah for the EQ FOR SOLO"S ONLY

here are some clips of what i've gotten tone wise doing something similar to the second setup.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Bostonrocks/music/all/play717795

this is with rockmodules:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Bostonrocks/music/all/play615244

as you can see very acheviable with some time and work

EDIT: Min, Not sure if you're serious. but no...not going to get him boston tone.

EDIT2: I've seen boston live, they do a great job of getting the tones now days, on their first tour Scholz did say it was hell to get those tones though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 13, 2011,

Brett, you are the master of all things Boston.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
For the song ''More Than A Feeling'' make sure to be on neck pick up for the lead part.

Hope that help !

-MDP

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Bridge pup, half cocked wah, (or the EQ settings)
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
the really cheap way is a vh140c.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Lol, he's planning on getting a Peavey Classic 30, so with that amp, how would TS get a Boston tone? I think the Classic 30 could get the tone, maybe not perfectly, but pretty close, I can get close with my Valveking, don't remember what I did, but I got close to a Bostonish tone.
As already stated, the debut album featured Scholz playing through a Marshall Plexi cranked to deafening levels. I recall an interview in 1978 where he said that he could achieve subtle but useful variations in distortion only with his amp cranked to the gills. To this day, Scholz despises digital recording gear and records on old-fashioned analog equipment and tape:

http://www.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplate.aspx?articleid=175&zoneid=2

http://www.thirdstage.ca/boston/articles/online-articles/512-more-than-a-feeling-talking-les-pauls-with-bostons-tom-scholz

This was taken live in NY before the Rockman gear was created. Sounds pretty good; particularly considering it was all 1970s and earlier technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlzsP4jN1E&feature=related

The Boston guitar sound on the first two albums is still one of the best ever created for rock & roll. When they released their first album, it just blew damn near everything else away. If you ask me, it still does.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
ya, the boston tone is just amazing....i still think its one of the best sounding tones out there, its just pure f*ckin rock lol

ya, hopefully i could sort of acheive some decent tones from the Classic 30...but who knows
Quote by FatalGear41
As already stated, the debut album featured Scholz playing through a Marshall Plexi cranked to deafening levels. I recall an interview in 1978 where he said that he could achieve subtle but useful variations in distortion only with his amp cranked to the gills. To this day, Scholz despises digital recording gear and records on old-fashioned analog equipment and tape:

http://www.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplate.aspx?articleid=175&zoneid=2

http://www.thirdstage.ca/boston/articles/online-articles/512-more-than-a-feeling-talking-les-pauls-with-bostons-tom-scholz

This was taken live in NY before the Rockman gear was created. Sounds pretty good; particularly considering it was all 1970s and earlier technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlzsP4jN1E&feature=related

The Boston guitar sound on the first two albums is still one of the best ever created for rock & roll. When they released their first album, it just blew damn near everything else away. If you ask me, it still does.

Good calls, I was going to include some of this and decided not to, that footage is from their second tour in 1978-9 to support "Don't Look Back". as you can hear it sounds great, Plexi's and Les Pauls baby!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well, which would be better? a 6505, or a classic 30?

ive heard good things about both, but i figured the 30 was more versatile
A Peavey 6505 series amp is made for modern high-gain metal tones. I don't know how well-suited it would be to Boston's 1970s arena rock-oriented sound. You'd have to try it and see.

You might want to look at some of the less-expensive tube amps on the market that are not geared toward lethal levels of gain, such as the Jet City and Carvin's X100B. Those might be more useful as a foundation for replicating the Boston tone. You could also look at some not-so-inexpensive choices such as the Ceriatone clones or a Splawn Quick Rod. But with most of the Rockman gear difficult or impossible to find, your best bet is a Les Paul with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a cranked 50 or 100-watt Marshall SLP and a matching cabinet. Anything less than what Scholz actually used is going to be an also-ran at best.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
well, which would be better? a 6505, or a classic 30?

ive heard good things about both, but i figured the 30 was more versatile

neither really.

find a used traynor ycv50 blue and call it a day.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 15, 2011,