So as my search for a 400 series LTD Ex is growing thin, i have come across this old EX model which apparently is a james hetfield signature(The one with the Faux diamond plate, made in 2002-3). These seem to be going very cheap. i was a little weary at first because the general rule of thumb with LTDs is to not buy below the 400 series, but these old 351 models were apparently still made in the old Korean factories all LTDs were made in before they switched to Indonesia and China. I know they dont come with real EMGs. Im not sure how the hardware is either. But thats okay considering the price they seem like a very moddable guitar. Im sure concerned on playability and qaulity. Are they as good as the 400 series? OH, and do these come with the Thin U neck shape like the other ESPs and LTDs?

I can get one of these guitars for less than $250. So should i go with this or keep waiting for a white LTD Ex400 to come my way for reasonable.
i dont see "dont buy an ltd under the 400 seriese" as a rule of thumb....my 50 sereise plays great, just got to upgrade the pickups....really. My guitar plays like butter and my friends EC50 plays great too. undeserved hate right here.

as for your guitar hunt, that 351 sounds pretty sweet for the price, i would hop on it. ar ethe pickups EMG-GZ's?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Yes the pickups are the EMG hz. i was also wondering how difficult itd be to swap in active EMGs. And im not saying anything under the 400 series arent good guitars, they just for the money IMO seem like the best place to start.

I probably will hop on it, just like to get some opinions, thanks
Quote by EspTro
i dont see "dont buy an ltd under the 400 seriese" as a rule of thumb....my 50 sereise plays great, just got to upgrade the pickups....really. My guitar plays like butter and my friends EC50 plays great too. undeserved hate right here.

you got lucky. i had a ltd m100fm that felt just as cheap as a 100 dollar squire and never stayed in tune. and the pick ups........ i cant even begin to explain how much i hated them. the neck felt like plastic. the "hate" is not undeserved, ltds below 400 are junk
Quote by TheCalvinator
Yes the pickups are the EMG hz. i was also wondering how difficult itd be to swap in active EMGs. And im not saying anything under the 400 series arent good guitars, they just for the money IMO seem like the best place to start.

I probably will hop on it, just like to get some opinions, thanks

i looked up the pickups and it said GZ....probably a typo haha. about the swapping to actives.....the emgs do come with wiring diagrams but i dont think you shold be fooling with it unless you know your way around wiring. i had a tech do it....its a bitch to pay for it though. basically you have to rewire the pots to the new pots it comes with, wire the 3 pin connecters, and wire the output jack.

*EDIT* and the battery connecter
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Apr 14, 2011,