This has been bugging me for a while. There's a technique/trick that Satch uses quite a lot when soloing where he takes two notes and it looks like he's 'side picking' them, and it creates a nice round sound. This bad thing though is I just can't seem to replicate it.

A good example of it would be off his new record, the song Premonition on it at 2.19 uses it for a second. He also uses it in this live version at 2.29. It doesn't seem to be simple alternate picking, the attack is too soft :<. I think it's great, and want it in my playing!

Has anyone ever mastered this? If so, care to enlighten me?
Nah it's not that, I can do that easily - it looks like he's doing something similar to that but it's got a plucky sound not such a sharp attack. He also does it above his humbuckers, so it doesn't seem like he's jabbing the pick onto the frets lie in that video you posted.
A link to exactly what you mean would be good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Link would help so i'll just guess. I have a technique I use where I make a little circular motion as I alternate pick. It's a soft flowing attack that's pretty difficult to describe. Instead of just picking up and down, it's more of a circular movement toward the front and back of the guitar, on the string. I dunno, need more info.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I have the song.
2:19 sounds like a short but routine Satriani trill. (?)
Sorry I thought I'd posted the link... I even described it in my 1st post :s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2Ce9jCUIo&feature=related

@ 2:29

At the start of the solo, he does the 'pick tapping' thing suggested above, which is just simple tapping with side of plec instead of right hand, but the thing I'm after is the bit at the end of the solo before the whammy bar harmonic squeal.
As far as I can tell the only thing going on there is Satriani's tone unless you're talking about the little two note hybrid picking thing he does...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.