How do I get the type of sound you hear in songs like born to be wild, werewolves of london and Saturday night's alright for fighting? It sounds to me like a bridge pickup with lots of mid and treble and possibly some fuzz but I can't seem to get the right sound. Does anyone have some suggestions for amp settings or effects?
I hate to say this, but that's not going to happen, at least not with an RG.

In all of the songs, you are hearing the sound of the guitar that's making the tone, not the sound of the distortion. So while even if you get the right effects going on it, your source sound won't let you get it quite right. If you really want to get those tones, get a Les Paul or a Rickenbacker.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Oh sorry, I thought Xevious1 was you. Sorry, I get mixed up when people have the same avatar.

What amp and other gear are you using?

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
You're going to really struggle if all you've got for an amp is software. Real classic rock distortion came from simplistic tube amps being pushed to breaking point, sometimes with a basic overdrive pedal in front of the pickups alone aren't quite enough. That's the one thing that solid state systems, let alone digital software, can't really emulate.

The closest you could maybe do is picking a model of a vintage Plexi head, or one based on an older Orange head or a Fender Bassman, something along those lines. I'd say keep the gain fairly low and have the EQ set all around the same level, just a little past the halfway points except the mids which should be pushed a little further. If you wanted the much thicker earlier 60s tones then push everything all the way with the gain set right back. Try rolling back either the treble or presence controls to shave off some of that digital harshness. I'm not used to Amplitube so I don't know the full extent of its features, but if it has cab modelling then you're going to want something close to a 4x12 with Celestion G12Ms, might be called Greenbacks. If there's mic emulation too then have them "placed" fairly far away and stick to a basic Shure 57 or similar. If there's reverb simulation (not reverb pedal simulation) then go for a tiny touch of that, keeping the tone of it quite warm.

But really you want to grab some simple tube amp like a 5w Fender Champ 600 and a standard, basic overdrive pedal.
Ok, then: EQing: high mids, and high treble. middle level bass.

Effects: Compression, just a touch of Reverb, and either a real light fuzz going into a marshall style distortion or a overdrive pedal into a British voiced amp model. (you're 'double dipping' the distortion here, but sounds nice because it isn't 2 really heavy distortions)

Guitar: Bridge Pick-up, tone all the way open or turned down a just a tad to keep your sound from "icepicking".

Also, a thing to note, is that your guitar will always sound a bit off without a backing track for this style. It's because with these types of songs, awesome as they may be, the guitar isn't the "main thing" you hear throughout most of the song, (in "Werewolves" and "Saturday Night" you're hearing piano/keys; "Wild" you're hearing the organ).

EDIT: actually in these songs you aren't really hearing Fuzz, just straight up distortion.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 13, 2011,
Those sounds are all midrange, whack mids up and if you have an EQ pedal boost the lower mids a bit. Turn the bass down because you don't want it to get wooly, and chop the treble a bit because you want that rounded, "woody" sound, you don't actualyl want it to cut through too much.

Doesn't need any fuzz or anything like that, it's just an overdriven tube amp although runing an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer into a clean amp will as good as get you there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for all the replies, I am planning on buying a tube amp soon when I get the money, I'm just using amplitube right now because it sounds better than my SS practice amp.
tubescreamer + plexi
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
my les paul with just the normal amount of gain on the OD channel works fine for those sounds.
you just have to use the bridge pickup and be sure not too have a br00t4lzz bridge pickup.
Quote by kangaxxter
I hate to say this, but that's not going to happen, at least not with an RG.

In all of the songs, you are hearing the sound of the guitar that's making the tone, not the sound of the distortion. So while even if you get the right effects going on it, your source sound won't let you get it quite right. If you really want to get those tones, get a Les Paul or a Rickenbacker.

A John Kay Ric - With Humbuckers - No longer in production. Most Ric fans will nag you about changing anything to your guitar, and just tell you to buy one of those.
Quote by Buck's Student
A John Kay Ric - With Humbuckers - No longer in production. Most Ric fans will nag you about changing anything to your guitar, and just tell you to buy one of those.

Shit, I'd nag myself about modding a Ric. Those ****ers are expensive.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi