Alright, im trying my best to get good scream vocals into my mixes, but im pretty much failing horribly. when i scream live or in practice it sounds great, but if I try to record it, it sounds so...far away for one, really distorted for 2 and not really like a scream. im running a shure sm57 into my POD HD500 (ive been trying to make use with what I have when it comes to compression, eq ect.) but now ive decided to record a dry signal, so can anyone suggest some free or affordable vst plug-ins to give me that hardcore scream? (Chelsea Grin, Asking Alexandria)
same thing happens to me dude, scream sounds great live and at practice, but when i record, i just dont know what happens haha
Turn your lows up more and level out your mids and highs. Compress compress compress, and watch your gain.
hah glad to know im not the only one with that problem XD hah and jtv, what compression settings or vst is best? i really have no clue
Slight distortion + Layering will help...sing underneath it and turn that really far down.

If you sound bad recorded you probably sound bad live and just don't realize it yet cause its the same signal going through the microphone.

Also learn how to scream.

Even more important learn how to sing as well. If you can't hit the notes singing I doubt you will be very good at screaming and staying in key, and yes it does sound like shit screaming out of key. Unless its punk rock then stay out of key as much as you want.
well, i sound pretty good screaming without any mics or anything just straight screaming in front of people, but its just the setting that screw me up pretty bad when it comes to this stuff.
Quote by Hatedsurvivor
well, i sound pretty good screaming without any mics or anything just straight screaming in front of people, but its just the setting that screw me up pretty bad when it comes to this stuff.

Do you have any recordings (like from a mobile phone/webcam) to show for this or are you just assuming? What you hear in your head can be very different to wht the mic (and everyone else hears) I'm afraid. And as you're singing it live, that affects what you hear from the monitors live so you still get that effect, until the olume is high enough to begin to drown out the inner reflections you hear.

It's a harsh lesson to learn, but an important one. The more you can record yourself and analyse your voice, and practise with amplification, the more you will start to sound like what you hear in your head (and the more what you hear in your head will sound like the bigger picture). We all have to overcome it - some people just develop it at a really young age or have a natural ability to hear very similar to how they sound.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Do you have any recordings (like from a mobile phone/webcam) to show for this or are you just assuming? What you hear in your head can be very different to wht the mic (and everyone else hears) I'm afraid. And as you're singing it live, that affects what you hear from the monitors live so you still get that effect, until the olume is high enough to begin to drown out the inner reflections you hear.

It's a harsh lesson to learn, but an important one. The more you can record yourself and analyse your voice, and practise with amplification, the more you will start to sound like what you hear in your head (and the more what you hear in your head will sound like the bigger picture). We all have to overcome it - some people just develop it at a really young age or have a natural ability to hear very similar to how they sound.

This is what I was assuming earlier as well. I think its something you should def look into. I thought I had a decent scream at once....then I recorded it and was like...well I am glad I never did this in public.
hah well, i use constructive crit on myself but my band tells me i fit what were trying to do well, when i record it it sounds dead, like, sometimes too bassy and the highs sound too gainy and like my first guitar amp...hah
awesome man thanks it sounds better i just need to tweak it a little thats all. the damn pod has too many options, its hard understand em lol.

Edit: hey, on the Para EQ i have LOW, HIGH, FREQ, Q and Gain and they all have %'s any idea on what percent each one of them should be?
Last edited by Hatedsurvivor at Apr 14, 2011,
before working with the EQ too much, try something even more simple. step back from the mic. if i am remembering correctly, the 57 has a proximitity effect, so the sound will be more bassy if you are close. too gainy means you may be clipping the input, so stepping back will help that too.
alot of screams are double tracked to add thickness to them. that being said if you're screaming properly you should be able to just add a little reverb/delay and have it come out sounding pretty good. i'm not saying you're undoubtedly doing it wrong, im just saynig you might want to consider it. like disarm goliath said, what we hear in our head and whats actually projected out are 2 different things.
the scream should sound good raw there should be no need to add a bunch of FXs
the FX should only enhance the scream not make the scream.
believe me i've been doing it for years and went through that phase were i thought i sounded good then recorded myself and found out i didn't haha.
its all practice not studio magic that will help you.
Assuming your mic isn't clipping (If it is just step back) the only thing you should ideally be doing is compression (4:1, quick attack and release) and a stereo delay/reverb.

For backup screams and overlays, line up all the S's and T's and P's, then run it through a highpass.
---------------
When you first start recording your screams you'll be like DAMN THAT SOUNDS BAD WHATS WRONG.

Then you'll realize it's you.

But then you'll improve and re-record yourself until you sound good.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Apr 14, 2011,