Okay, so when I play drums, after a while I start to develop a blister on my more dominant hand's thumb. This only happens when I play drums.

wat happnin?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Play more often. Get manly callouses. Make your woman do the dishes so your hands don't get soft. Stop masturbating so much.
I don't do dishes.
And I didn't know it's a matter of callouses like guitar.. Okay thanks.
And I don't masturbate. That's weird.

Quote by Steve08
I dunno, you might just be holding onto the stick really tightly, and if that's the case then lighten up on it a bit more when you play.

That may be the case... Hmm. I'll try that. Thanks!

Is drumming supposed to come from the wrists mainly?
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Well, it depends. There's no real rules, but if you're playing faster stuff then yeah, it's logical to use your wrists since it's a smaller motion. If you're playing a slow quarter note beat or whatever, then it doesn't really matter, but for anything even mid-tempo (like 8th notes at 100 or something) then you should use wrists simply because it's a more economical, efficient movement. You won't get as tired and as you play faster, the motions will get smaller anyway. There's no point in swinging your entire arm though, even if crashing a cymbal or whatever.
Last edited by Steve08 at Apr 13, 2011,
I have no idea with what kind of notes I'm doing, at what kind of beat. I just play.
But I see. But I can't go very fast that way.
At least I think I play fills/rolls with my arms... Maybe a combo.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
It's not really a wrist motion exclusively at any point, unless you're trying to go for incredibly small movements which can't go very fast anyway haha. Your arm will move naturally with your wrist (and should) but you shouldn't be making an effort to anything larger than your elbow. Matt Greiner plays pretty much independent of rebound and uses very wide strokes for the most part, his wrist is basically static and most of the motion comes from the elbow I think. That will slow you down in the long run though, and it feels quite odd to me personally, but meh, preference plays a part I suppose.
i get calouses on the side of my fingers and on the side of my thumb on both hands, even with gloves.

i blistered out too much in the past and discovered gloves, they work out great for me, and plus when your hands get all sweaty you don't lose grip of your sticks as easily.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i blistered out too much in the past and discovered gloves, they work out great for me, and plus when your hands get all sweaty you don't lose grip of your sticks as easily.

You just have to deal with looking like a total douchebag.

As for the topic at hand, just play until you develop callouses. The sides of my index fingers are like rocks from playing over the years. Or get yourself some moleskin.

I used to have this problem, but I eventually developed callouses. Make sure your grip is tight enough that your sticks aren't constantly rubbing your hands and fingers as you play, and as someone mentioned above me, make sure the majority of your motion is from your wrists instead of your arms.
i've never gotten callouses...
it may be because you let the sticks rub against your fingers as you play, in which case you could adjust however it is you hold your sticks if its a significant problem
i recommend the using mostly wrist
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Boss Drive Zone Dual Distortion Pedal
Dunlap Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
Boss Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Delay
Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack