well i made a mistake not too long ago and sold my vypyr 30. i just bought a peavey 6505 with a peavey cab and its a great amp but not too great for practicing and a pain to haul a stack around and this summer im going to be going to travel a lot and would like a small amp with me. im considering getting another vypyr 30 (its a vast upgrade over the 15 IMO) but id like to consider other options.

so i want something small and low wattage obvoiusly. im wanting to get back to playing some classic rock and and get away from the heavy metal ive been doing. i was looking into some tube amps and the bugera v5 caught my eye. the power attenuator built in seems pretty useful and i think if i used that with my tubescreamer i could hit most of hte tones i would want. ive never played one though. ive narrowed it down so far between another vypyr 30, a vox valvetronix, or the bugera. does anyone have any experience with the bugera? can anyone reccommend me other amps to look into. im looking to spend $200 maybe $250 at the very most. i dont feel this is worth breaking my bank for.
I have played with a v5 and I really like it, and I've played with the VT15 and the VT30 (Valvetronix) as well as the Vox Tonelabs ST (which is the pedal version of the valvetronix) and I really like all of them. I think the v5 has the best base tone, but the valvetronix still has a pretty good tone and some decent built in effects, etc. for versatility. I would say it depends on if you just want the best base tone, then the v5, but being for practice, I always value versatility more as long as the tone is decent. I would go with a valvetronix. Personally, I hate Vypyrs, but everyone else seems to love them, so your call.
The V5 is good, but it's nowhere near as versatile as the others. I do like it though for sure.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Thanks for hte quick replys! How is the tone on the V5 compared to the moddlers? i mean i do have pedals i can take with me so effects isnt that big of a concern. but if the tone is close enough i might as well take the one with built in effects.
It has a great clean, and breaks up easily. If you have the chance to crank it, it'll nail your hard rock tones, and the Tubescreamer can only help.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
It has a great clean, and breaks up easily. If you have the chance to crank it, it'll nail your hard rock tones, and the Tubescreamer can only help.

thats why i liked the power attenuator. i can get that tube breakup easy. im a sucker for tube breakup.
Quote by jimman
thats why i liked the power attenuator. i can get that tube breakup easy. im a sucker for tube breakup.

Sorry for the late reply. One complaint about the V5 is that on the .1W setting, it sounds a little muddy. This might depend on your guitar, but I don't notice a thing when I'm using my Strat. But again, that's one of the amp's few cons.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Sorry for the late reply. One complaint about the V5 is that on the .1W setting, it sounds a little muddy. This might depend on your guitar, but I don't notice a thing when I'm using my Strat. But again, that's one of the amp's few cons.

interesting i didnt think it would do that. sorry if this sounds like a noob but is it cause the tubes are being pushed too hard or something?
I'm not even sure, I just know it's something that people notice. But again, depends on the guitar. If you use humbuckers, either turn the tone up or don't use the .1W setting if the muddiness bothers you.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
i see. i use humbuckers but ive been considering getting a strat. however the .1w setting seemed like underkill anyways i suppose. ill definitly try before i buy.
For heavy metal I think you'll be hard pressed to beat the Vypyr for something light and cheap.
i agree that the vypyr is the best moddler but im starting to shift away from heavy metal and more towards classic rock.