James Durbin sang You've Got Another Thing Comin' earlier this season, and tonight he did Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar, and sang it beautifully with Zakk Wylde to back him up on guitar. As a result, Randy Jackson stated that Durbin could be seen on stage with A7X, Ozzy, and others. Could this potentially be a revival for metal?
I didn't know metal was in need of being revived...
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I didn't know metal was in need of being revived...

I should have been clearer. I meant could it be a way to open the door for the rest of the metal bands who are still somewhat underground? Kind of pave the way like others did in decades before, have metal be reached by a broader audience so it's not just mindless garbage polluting the airwaves.
Metal doesnt need to be on the same level as paris hilton and kim kardashian kthx

keep out of mainstream and off fox
Who cares? Metal doesn't need mainstream acceptance, it will always have its fanbase.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo metal is meant to be underground! Becoming mainstream is honestly the worst thing that could happen to it. What makes metal so beautiful and what makes us metalheads united is that feeling of rejection from mainstream music! Think about it, would you really like to have your local radio station play some Cannibal Corpse during lunchtime??

EDIT: I totally agree with the two guys above me
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Ya, cuz American Idol totally isn't a popularity contest and what songs the contestants choose to sing definitely decides what the audience will start listening to.
Quote by jbab
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo metal is meant to be underground! Becoming mainstream is honestly the worst thing that could happen to it. What makes metal so beautiful and what makes us metalheads united is that feeling of rejection from mainstream music! Think about it, would you really like to have your local radio station play some Cannibal Corpse during lunchtime??

EDIT: I totally agree with the two guys above me

Your theory sounds more like grunge.
I would like to see more people widely appreciate metal than "appreciate" whatever is played on the radio. I really don't care about metal being underground or anything like that, I'd just like to see the majority of people NOT be mindless when it comes to music and recognize the talent that is in the genre. That's just my opinion though.
Quote by Thexbert
Metal doesnt need to be on the same level as paris hilton and kim kardashian kthx

keep out of mainstream and off fox

exactly
Quote by booby50
I would like to see more people widely appreciate metal than "appreciate" whatever is played on the radio. I really don't care about metal being underground or anything like that, I'd just like to see the majority of people NOT be mindless when it comes to music and recognize the talent that is in the genre. That's just my opinion though.

Lols.. funny you say that.

I heard a Kaizer Permanente radio commercial today that went something like.

"Do you like music? And im not talking about that metal stuff..." "Music is meant to be relaxing and keep you at ease."

I lol'd IRL
Lols.. funny you say that.

I heard a Kaizer Permanente radio commercial today that went something like.

"Do you like music? And im not talking about that metal stuff..." "Music is meant to be relaxing and keep you at ease."

I lol'd IRL[/QUOTE
Hahahaha that's quite ironic.
Quote by booby50
Hahahaha that's quite ironic.

No, it's not.

Die.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
metall !!!
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Yeah. Now Barbatos is gonna be super popular and world renowned.

Yeah that'll be the day when Barbatos become radio friendly..

Saxon Mango Hang out
Love Possy, Gang

Fuck you radio, you just ruined Barbatos.
Quote by Skullivan
Your theory sounds more like grunge.

Meh
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

The only benefit I see from Metal becoming mainstream is the bands being more popular, so the smaller bands become more successful. OH, WAIT! Except, that wouldn't happen, and like most things they would probably start working less hard on the music and pumping out shit after stinking shit...

Well, at least the world will become more kvlt, amiright?
I wouldn't have a problem with the masses being aware of their worthlessness, really.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
The only thing this American Idol shit will result in, is giving You've Got Another Thing Coming slightly more airtime for about a month.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by The Wildchild
I wouldn't have a problem with the masses being aware of their worthlessness, really.

As long as you're happy where you are.

Quote by Senor Kristian
The only thing this American Idol shit will result in, is giving You've Got Another Thing Coming slightly more airtime for about a month.

Dear Christ, no.
Paulattack Abdulfago.

This has to be a troll thread...Im getting horrible images of lads in funny shirts singing 'cemetery gates' at American Idol auditions, talking about how much the song means to them, etc.. sick.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by jbab
what makes us metalheads united is that feeling of rejection from mainstream music!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Stranglehold
Paulattack Abdulfago.

This has to be a troll thread...Im getting horrible images of lads in funny shirts singing 'cemetery gates' at American Idol auditions, talking about how much the song means to them, etc.. sick.

My pal's bird was auditioning for The X Factor, so he went along with her and done his best King Diamond impression. He didn't get through
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
what's that? Couldn't read this because I was to busy listing to Sworn to the Dark by Watain
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by booby50
James Durbin sang You've Got Another Thing Comin' earlier this season, and tonight he did Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar, and sang it beautifully with Zakk Wylde to back him up on guitar. As a result, Randy Jackson stated that Durbin could be seen on stage with A7X, Ozzy, and others. Could this potentially be a revival for metal?

No, it could not. End of thread.