Hey guys, I'm starting to think about when I go off to college, and I've decided I should change out my valveking 112 for an amp that has 2 advantages over it:

1) Isn't incredibly muddy with gain, and
2) Is a head and a cab as opposed to a combo.

I'm thinking head and cab for the reason that if I want to gig it, I can plug the head into a larger cabinet, and if I start not liking part of my tone, I can just change out one of the parts. So I started researching, and came upon the Blackstar HT-5S (that mini stack thing). I tried it in a guitar center for about 10 minutes and liked the tones I was getting (didn't fall in love with them, but I also didn't really mess with the knobs that much), but I had to leave before I could really get deeper into it. I'm just wondering though, how would it hold up in a jam session? It's got 2 speakers, which should help, but it's still only 5 watts. Anyone have an answer to this/recommendation for the situation as a whole?

Thanks in advance.
Two speakers isn't going to be much louder than 1. If you need cleans at all, than the blackstar isn't going to cut it. And it definitely won't work for gigs unless mic'd
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I'd get a POD of some sort for home/dorm use and run your Valveking or use it as a power amp for gigs/jams.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Major Sparky
Two speakers isn't going to be much louder than 1. If you need cleans at all, than the blackstar isn't going to cut it. And it definitely won't work for gigs unless mic'd

are u kidding? the cleans are amazing! i second the volume though.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves

I meant in a jamming/gigging situation. The blackstar doesn't have the headroom to stay clean at those volumes.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by itsxsteves
Not IMO. The HT-5 has less clean headroom than the Epi Vjr.

Personally I would look past the HT-5 and get something like a Tweaker. You need more than 5 watts to get a good bass response, especially if you are gigging. The distortion is good, but pedals are just as good and more versatile.

IMO the HT-5 is priced beyond it's usefulness, even though it's a nice home amp. For the same money a Super Champ XD is a superior amp. And whatever you do don't get the 1x10 cab. It's simply too small.
For context, I play everything from jazz to blues to rock to metal. I don't think a Super Champ could do the metal that well (plus, I'm fairly certain that's a combo), and the Tweaker... I was very impressed by the clean tones when I tried it out, but can it do high gain? It seems like it's more geared towards cleaner sounds, with rock being at the higher edge of its distorted capability. If it takes pedals well, I could be wrong, though. GC has one, so I'd be more than happy to try to get them to set a pedal up with it

I'm also looking at the HT-20h, thoughts on this?
IMO neither the HT-5, SCXD, or Tweaker are amps that do metal well. The Tweaker has a clean channel that will work well with pedals. If you have a pedal that can give you a good metal tone then the Tweaker will do the job.
I tried out the Tweaker and HT-5 again today (no HT-20 in stock...), and while I love the Tweaker clean, the overdrive just isn't what I'm going for. Maybe it could do it with a pedal, but I doubt the result would be much more than passable. And the HT-5, I didn't get to play it loud still (so I don't have a full representation of it), but the distortion sounded a little sterile, and the cleans were just alright. It could probably be worked with with pedals/EQ and such. And just so you know, the metal I play isn't super brutal or anything. Mainly Metallica heavy, though different.
With pedals you can get the Tweaker to do anything. I don't care for the distortion on the Tweaker that much and get all my dirt from pedals.
I'd say the Tweaker is one of those amps you have to actually play to form an opinion of it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.