Hey everyone,

I'm into metalcore/rock, and have been having a lot of trouble with a few things related to playing lead for said genres.

Before I start, do know I know all (at least I think) background theory: building scales/chords, playing them, etc. (I'm okayyy with modes but can't really apply them).

My first question is how exactly do I know which scales/arpeggios to use over certain chord progressions? For example, specifically for metalcore, if someone was laying down some power chords in the key of C minor, I know I could play C natural minor, but what about harmonic minor? and the modes? how do I know when I can use these other scales?

My second concern is this: I can finger/pick notes really fast (-4-3-2-1 etc), string skip, and tap too. When I'm improvising or even writing solos though, I don't know how to create those great sounding runs I hear in so many metal solos, where there's a huge ascent, but it's not boring like if you were just going up a scale. I'm expecting an answer like, "Just use the notes of the scale," but is that really it? Is there a way to know which 2/3/4 note per string runs I should use when going up/down the neck?

I'm just frustrated because I know all of the theory, I just can't make it work, and don't know how to play the notes.

Honestly if anyone could answer one/both of these questions I would be immensely grateful. Thanks SO much

First, make sure you can visualise your scales all over the neck in all 5 (or 7) positions if you do not already. Often when you see those really long ascending runs they are just switching between the different scale positions.

Second, Harmonic minor is a different kind of minor scale to natural minor, so to use harmonic minor the backing chords have to be in a harmonic minor key. For more info go here http://www.guitarlessons365.com/intermediate-theory-lesson-creating-minor-key-chord-progressions-pt-1/ .

As for using arpeggios, the most basic way possible for doing this, and the best place to start is to just follow the chords, as an arpeggio is just a broken chord. So over a C major chord use C major arpeggio, over a D minor chord use a D minor arpeggio, and so on. Once you used to this you can advance it a bit and experiment with things like the relative minor arpeggio over a major chord (google that if your uncertain of its meaning).

My final suggestion is to just learn some solo's, likes and runs by your favourite guitar players. But instead of just learning it, study exactly what they are doing, what makes it sound the way it does and how it works in relation to the backing music.
Quote by jkielq91
First, make sure you can visualise your scales all over the neck in all 5 (or 7) positions if you do not already. Often when you see those really long ascending runs they are just switching between the different scale positions.

Second, Harmonic minor is a different kind of minor scale to natural minor, so to use harmonic minor the backing chords have to be in a harmonic minor key. For more info go here http://www.guitarlessons365.com/intermediate-theory-lesson-creating-minor-key-chord-progressions-pt-1/ .

As for using arpeggios, the most basic way possible for doing this, and the best place to start is to just follow the chords, as an arpeggio is just a broken chord. So over a C major chord use C major arpeggio, over a D minor chord use a D minor arpeggio, and so on. Once you used to this you can advance it a bit and experiment with things like the relative minor arpeggio over a major chord (google that if your uncertain of its meaning).

My final suggestion is to just learn some solo's, likes and runs by your favourite guitar players. But instead of just learning it, study exactly what they are doing, what makes it sound the way it does and how it works in relation to the backing music.

Great advice.

Backing tracks. You need backing tracks. Record your own playing while soloing over the backing track. This will help you see and HEAR what you are doing right and wrong by ear and feel, trial and error. Then go and see what notes you were using, was it C, etc...
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.