Hey guys,

I'm currently learning Master of Puppets. I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 30 and an LTD EC-50

The problem is, that I've experimented A LOT with the palm muting, but it doesn't sound as clear as in the song, it just muffles up too much.

And I've tweaked at the settings in every possible way.

So, what should I do?

THanks
Palm mute differently. Put your hand at different points on the strings, you'll eventually figure it out. And use less gain. That might help.
Life is what you make it, so don't use a recipe you found in your neighbors dumpster.

Gear:
ESP LTD MH-50 with a few modifications
Amplitube (all versions)
5.1 surround 2000w speaker system for sound output >:]
turn your gain back some and turn you amp up remember they are pro's and to they are two guitar players so you will get a better sound and clear .loud amps lots of gain is a no no turn gain back and turn amp up to make up for the loss of the gain.
Try as you might, you will never get the same sound as them when you are playing through an amp. They have studio editing to make everything as clear as possible.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Try as you might, you will never get the same sound as them when you are playing through an amp. They have studio editing to make everything as clear as possible.

I've always wondered what they do besides isolate the person 's amp, high quality equipment and make sure everything played is perfectly executed.
Quote by Ēzio
I've always wondered what they do besides isolate the person 's amp, high quality equipment and make sure everything played is perfectly executed.

It's all in the software. They can make certain things stand out, or they can completely get rid of something else or play with the playback settings to make something sound more full etc. For example, take a look at the first note of King Nothing. When they recorded it, Kirk picked multiple times to sustain the note but all the pick strokes were edited out. And the fade in was done via computer also.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
@ Junior

Interesting. Would someone like your common man (us) be able to do this type of thing at all with a program like Reaper?
I'm not too familiar with reaper, but with pro tools you can do things like that if you are good enough with it. But some of the things are quite complex and take a while to learn how to use.
Quote by Geldin
Umm, they didn't have digital recording software when Master of Puppets was recorded. (1986 or earlier) It sounds clear because of James Hetfield's playing.

To TS: Try muting with your hand closer to the bridge. You can get a more percsussive, clear muted "chugging" sound the closer your hand is to the bridge. And unless you're extremely talented at alternate picking, you can't get Hetfield's sound unless you use all downstrokes. (That's the way he picks on most of his stuff, unless it gets extremely fast such as the stuff at the end of One, etc.
I think the only real studio tricks they used on that album was layering guitar on top of guitar.
The amp is definately capable of getting close to the sound, and clean chugs. I have the 15watt version, and have used the 30 many times. Try turning the noise gate off (if you don't know how, check out the vypyr forum). Are you using the stock pups? I've had cheap pups sound muddy,almost blended when doing fast chugs.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Apr 14, 2011,
I think most of their tone is the way they play.Use downstrokes,like they do,it gives a stacatto sound which is harder to acomplish with alt picking.
Also,about the intro,not all notes are palm muted,so look into that too.If you want to get the palm muting sound right,play with the song playing at the same time,and try to get that sound while picking the E open muted.Don't sweat it too much bro,try to find a sound you like,as the others said,they had a producer and stuff,and way better gear than most of us.

"Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you
."

Quote by Ēzio
@ Junior

Interesting. Would someone like your common man (us) be able to do this type of thing at all with a program like Reaper?
Yes. But relying on editing to make your sound more clear isn't the way to go.
Before recording you should be able to play well, not have to edit out bad playing.

Metallica sounds clear because the players can play clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47BgD04K-8

It's just basic guitar riffage.
Mostly double-tracked which always will make guitars sound much more huge in a mix. A few extra guitar dubs here and there.

but all in all, it's really nothing special. Just regular guitar playing.

definitely can be achieved without having to edit your guitar tracks.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by IrfaanCat786
Hi I'am still getting problem with the last solo of MOP....who HELP...\m/....???

Break it into smaller parts, slow it down, work at it with a metronome.
Quote by Geldin
Master of Puppets, one of the easiest songs to play BUT one of the hardest songs to play correctly. The use of downstrokes on the riff doesn't make it any easier either.
That verse riff started sounding 1000x better when I changed from alt picking to all down strokes.
Yah. You either need a well developed up stroke or a well developed downpicking technique.

I've found that by developing my upstrokes to be more aggressive and more energetic, I can mimic the sound of straight downpicking without needing to actually downpick. It's kind of interesting.