Am I the only one who finds chicken pickin way easier than regular picking? maybe it's because I'm a lefty playing righty and my right hand (picking hand) isn't as good as it could be, but when I play things like castles made of sand or anything where I really have to do some picking I just find it a million times easier to play with pick and fingers. I find it more accurate. Thoughts?
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
I find that some things are easier to play with chicken picking, but generally, I don't see much difference. But a friend of mine is like you (lefty playing right) and he also finds chicken picking easier.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm righty playing righty, and I can do things with chicken pickin' I can't or won't do with normal picking. A lot of arrpegiattion (apologies for the spelling), plus 2 note on two string licks, anything where most people would sweep, and any sort of pedal steel bendy licks. I always have those fingers out as a tool.
I'm a lefty playing righty and I suppose I have this problem. Anything really thrashy or arpeggiated can get my right hand caught up, while my left carries on heedless. If chicken picking is what I think it is (holding a pick and finger-picking when necessary with middle, ring, and pinky fingers), then I don't think it's the proper long-term solution to learn to play a piece. Enough practice will get right-hand string-skipping technique down, in my experience.
"There's a fine line between child abuse and discipline. Take my dad for example; when I screwed up, my dad would electrocute me. And look at me today: flawless. Electrocution builds character." - Maddox
Quote by kaptkegan
I'm righty playing righty, and I can do things with chicken pickin' I can't or won't do with normal picking. A lot of arrpegiattion (apologies for the spelling), plus 2 note on two string licks, anything where most people would sweep, and any sort of pedal steel bendy licks. I always have those fingers out as a tool.

This, mostly.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Oddpod11
I'm a lefty playing righty and I suppose I have this problem. Anything really thrashy or arpeggiated can get my right hand caught up, while my left carries on heedless. If chicken picking is what I think it is (holding a pick and finger-picking when necessary with middle, ring, and pinky fingers), then I don't think it's the proper long-term solution to learn to play a piece. Enough practice will get right-hand string-skipping technique down, in my experience.

Oh my right hand technique is fine, especially for a lefty, string skipping and all. I'm almost ambidextrous and have pretty good muscle memory. I just find my runs cleaner especially on double stops and such when I finger pick them, because my awkward right hand
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Quote by Freepower
There's a more specific usage of chickin pickin but I don't thing he's referring to it.

You're right freepower, I couldn't think of the word for some reason :P I'm just talking about hybrid picking, real chicken pickin takes some more practice.
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Here's an easy demo of chickin pickin, but I find it easier to use a thumb pick:

[forbidden link]
Quote by LP1951
Here's an easy demo of chickin pickin, but I find it easier to use a thumb pick:

[forbidden link]

Evidently you can't post youTube vids here so just search for Redd Volkaert, Zakk Wylde & James Burton vids.
My god dude. 1. Don't resurrect dead threads. Personally, I have no idea why this thread hasn't been closed yet. 2. Don't double/triple/quadruple post. There's an edit button for a reason.

Let dead threads rest in peace, or GTFO.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
1. Don't resurrect dead threads. Personally, I have no idea why this thread hasn't been closed yet...

It probably hasn't been closed because it is one of the most interesting threads and I will continue to post to it for as long as it is open.
Quote by LP1951
It probably hasn't been closed because it is one of the most interesting threads and I will continue to post to it for as long as it is open.

If it's so interesting then why is it that the last post (before you, that is) was on April 14 of 2011?
Quote by Geldin
Junior,

Why does it bother U so much? Do U have a problem chickin pickin? If U can't do it that's ok. Just watch the videos I posted and practice, but just stop bugging me and the others who enjoy chickin pickin.
Last edited by LP1951 at Dec 25, 2012,
You're missing the point entirely. I have no problem with the technique, it's the principle of resurrecting dead threads that bothers me (and several other people on these forums).
Quote by Geldin
Who honestly gives a flying **** if a thread is resurrected?

So what, just because the thread is old, someone isn't interested in it or the information is no longer relevant?

Instead of starting a new thread, why shouldn't someone be able to just post in an old thread that already has a good amount of information posted in it instead of having to go through all the trouble of getting responses again in a new thread?

I cannot believe there are losers who seriously have nothing better to do than bitch and moan about someone posting in an old thread on an internet forum.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Getting a bit overly heated here...

I personally have no problem resurrecting old threads if it's to introduce new information. I don't have the time to look through those youtube vids right now but at a glance they seem useful and LP certainly acted with the best of intentions.

That said, it is generally considered a bit annoying to rez old threads.

Chill, I think this should stay open.
Not being overly heated, it's just an incredibly stupid thing to be pissed off by.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Who honestly gives a flying **** if a thread is resurrected?

So what, just because the thread is old, someone isn't interested in it or the information is no longer relevant?

Instead of starting a new thread, why shouldn't someone be able to just post in an old thread that already has a good amount of information posted in it instead of having to go through all the trouble of getting responses again in a new thread?

I cannot believe there are losers who seriously have nothing better to do than bitch and moan about someone posting in an old thread on an internet forum.

Amen!

The negative types will bitch & moan if U add info to an old thread or if U post a new thread about some subject that has been discussed before. They are just malcontents and their opinions do not matter a whit to me.
Last edited by LP1951 at Dec 25, 2012,