Hi guys,

Recently I bought a project guitar to make a frankenstrat copy and I hate the single coil in the neck...like a lot.
I was wondering what I could use to rout out a pickup cavity for a humbucker sized guitar (want to match up the pair with my SD 59' JB bridge) because I don't own a router, and don't have the money to invest in one.
It's not meant to be pretty, it's meant to look ugly and disgusting...like me, so what could I use to fudge the rout job?

Thanks in advance
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Chisels work good.
I'm assuming you have no drill press, if you did you could even use that to substitute for a router. You'd just be drilling a lot of holes.
..I was watching my death.
I think there's one down at the music store I work at...I never actually thought of that.
Could you please explain exactly what I should use and how I should do it if you can? Provided we actually have one down there.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
You have to specifically use Forstner bits for this.
It's simple really,
Get a bit that's either the full size or half the size of the desired cavity. Drill out your cavity, switch to a smaller one and do the corners.
You'll still have to clean it up with a chisel though.

Is this going to be covered by a pickguard?
..I was watching my death.
No it won't be covered with a pickguard, I bought it without one on it. Do you think it would just be simpler to rout it out with a chisel? I don't mind putting in the elbow grease and it would also give me that harsh, beat up look too I guess?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I did a pretty big cavity with a cheap dremel type tool. The biggest danger using the wrong tool is that you can do something that you weren't trying to do. If you go slow, that danger is minimal.
as timbit said, use a forstner bit, drill out as much of the cavity as possible, then use some sharp chisels to clean up the edges.
You don't need to buy a router... rent it. Buy a cheap bit from your local hardware store, and rent the router for a day. I made my guitar body using a rented router, and that cost about 30 quid to hire for a week, not sure what that is in Oz money but there you go.