An old online guitar teacher once said "try to challenge ur self, try to play songs that are a lil challenging ...... YOu can DO IT!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwRHgCyIjA&feature=related
(link to the song)

Ive been playing guitar for bout a year and 2 months I really like the song Bach Partita in Dminor by paul gilbert version ... and i found tabs i kno its gonna take some time to fully play the song completly with accurate notes and speed , so I am prolly taking my first step into (BOI U are crazy for tryng to learn this) journey but anyway for u guys out there any tips for when learning a song like this

I was thinking maybe learn parts of the solo piece practice practice practice... then learn alil bit of the next part .. practice practice practice and so on and so forth

any advise guys ?
(WILL POST MY PROGGRESS EVERY FEW WEEKS OR SO)
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Just give up now . . . nah im kidding. i think you should do like you said. learn a piece then practice till your perfect at the part then move to the next part.
im guessing you know this but, start off slow us a metronome and start off at a slower tempo and increase the speed slowly as you master the song at each speed. thats the basic advice other than that i would say to make sure you keep your hands fairly loose. you obviously still want to get a good sound, but when your trying really hard to play something right it can happen that your hands start feeling tight so make sure to take a break and shake them out if you are feeling too much of that -good luck
Bach's partitas are inherently dace music, remember that when you play.

Thats why I don't particularly enjoy them on electric instruments, there's something about the raw grit of acoustic instruments that works REALLY well with the dance patterns Bach used. But hey, to each his own.
Playing classical pieces on electric is all discipline. Start slow, very slow, memorize it, then apply the metronome.

It's really a very fun and enjoyable process and when you are done, you have a great piece of music that is impressive to hear. I've done many classical pieces on electric myself. My rendition of Barrios is my most viewed video on yoube, so I guess that tells you somthing. People definitely value musicality over chops.

Sadly, however, I was a little dissapointed by pauls performance of that one, the tone on the clean version was pretty bad, and it seemed a bit sloppy. But hey who am I to criticize paul gilbert.
Last edited by Riffman15 at Apr 14, 2011,
^ pretty much this

start slow, play it accurately and use a metronome

as for memorizing the piece i usually stick with piecing it together, learn a small section and then move onto the next. usually with stuff like that you can pick out the chords being played and then the whole thing is to remember the chords and the order (like learning any other song) once you view all those notes as organized arpeggios instead of just random notes it makes it alot easier to look at something and pick it apart.
Quote by nmitchell076
Bach's partitas are inherently dace music, remember that when you play.

Thats why I don't particularly enjoy them on electric instruments, there's something about the raw grit of acoustic instruments that works REALLY well with the dance patterns Bach used. But hey, to each his own.

I can't stand classical music on electric guitar, especially if people insist on playing it with distortion.

Except for Malmsteen's cover of Albinoni's Adagio
Quote by z4twenny
^ care to elaborate why you don't like it?

Does it matter? He probably still won't like it, even having explained his reasoning.

TS, you said it yourself, just practice practice practice. I learn long tricky technically difficult (:P) arrangements piece by piece, get one piece nailed then the next, then string em all together
^ actually i was curious as to his reasoning why because i know he's a regular on here and i was wondering what about it he didn't like. i know a decent approximation of what his knowledge of music is and was actually seeking a concise informed opinion on it. that being said, i would use it to my own diabolical ends, to make my music better. i found out a long time ago if you get other peoples intelligent informed opinions on music it can help make your music a better product in the long run.
Quote by z4twenny
^ care to elaborate why you don't like it?

There's a few instances when I find it alright, Gilbert's a good example, he has just the right amount of gain and pays attentions to dynamics and articulations. The stuff I can't stand is the guy's you get on youtube who crank the gain to 10, add some double bass and a chugging guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mOWTkdtqo4

or tapping Chopin's fantasy impromptu with horrible results http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQgEa7W7Mqk

There is some instances I do like it though, like the intro here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbtAWHheHAE

And of course Jeff Beck can do no wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasxMg4l0NU

I'm not saying don't learn this sort of music on guitar, just treat it with respect
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 14, 2011,
^ i get what you mean i think. you're all about the dynamics of the piece, the peaks and valleys and yeah too much distortion can totally kill the dynamics. i think the tapping thing could've been cool... with a better skilled player (or more practice on the performers part) along with a better guitar tone. the jeff beck thing was awesome, but i don't think i really needed to state that
Quote by Wesbanez
Sounds like you need a thread all of your own for all your lovely thoughts

lol ,
Ok guys its now May 08 maybe lil less then a month and i seem to have the first half of the song down while not as quite as fast as pauls its not so slow either my hand is kinda moving on its on abit ... ok am gonna keep practicing the first half for a few days then try to learn then try to get started on the second half around may 14 ( i started to learn the first half on april 14)
Quote by Marqway
Ok guys its now May 08 maybe lil less then a month and i seem to have the first half of the song down while not as quite as fast as pauls its not so slow either my hand is kinda moving on its on abit ... ok am gonna keep practicing the first half for a few days then try to learn then try to get started on the second half around may 14 ( i started to learn the first half on april 14)

With Bach, speed is not as important as rhythmic intensity.

speed < accuracy
speed < fluidity
speed < interesting
speed < emotion

never forget that, speed will naturally come, so don't try to beat it in, just focus on the notes and the expression, thats it. Speed will naturally come as a result of good practice, but never sacrifice anything for speed.
Its now July 17, but i officially learned the whole peice back in "June 24th" am still practicing on making it sound even better , anyway thank you guys for tips and advice ....
Last edited by Marqway at Jul 17, 2011,
will do as soon as i can buy a camra or something i can record and put n the web
with thats cheap
Buy a cord to plug your amp into your computer, download Audacity, profit.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
do u have a link?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

and your cord will look like this-

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=audio+cables&view=detail&id=E8A38A65A521817FDB014A343B83B806CF46052F&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

You plug the big end into the output of your amp and the little end into the microphone input on your computer. The only thing you have to do after that is adjust the volume on the amp so it isn't too low, or too loud. If its too loud it will be very distorted.

Audacity is pretty easy to figure out, and I'm sure there are tutorials somewhere if you need them.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

ty oh and can u just briefly describe what audicity is, im guessing some audio recording thing is there anything else to it, btw thanx will download this and , will get back to u guys on this after i buy the chord
No problem man, Audacity is a simple recording/editing program. You can record multiple tracks at once, and add simple effects like echo/ chorus. You can layer your tracks, and adjust left/right channel.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.