so i have a 5w combo; say i replaced a 95db speaker with a 98db speaker, how would this change the breakup or sound quality of the amp?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
correct me if im wrong, but if one speaker is 30w and the next is 50w, they will both play at 30w max.
if the 30w speaker is ranked 95db and the 50w is 98, will they play at two different volumes?

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
correct me if im wrong, but if one speaker is 30w and the next is 50w, they will both play at 30w max.
if the 30w speaker is ranked 95db and the 50w is 98, will they play at two different volumes?

if i am correct (i hate posting with that leading, as i don't want to spread misinformation) the wattage of the speaker has no impact on loudness.

wattage is simply a measurement of how much current and intensity the speaker can handle. the technical equations are E=IR P=IE with "P" being power in watts, "I" being amperage, "E" being Voltage and "R" being resistance.

you could put a 1,000 watt speaker up to a 30W amp and it would do nothing different (as long as 30 watts is enough to physically move the cone), not any louder or anything, it just simply means that if the speaker were given 1,000 watts it would not blow up.

the decibal thing i am unsure of though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by itsxsteves

No. They're rated there, but are driven the same from the amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yes they will play at two different volumes. a 5 watt amp can actually be really loud with the right speaker and there's a lot of surprisingly technical reasons why, but the sensitivity seems to be the biggest factor. a 30w and a 50w speaker are not the same and i'm not sure why you think they are. i don't think having a different speaker will change the breakup much because that speaker will still only be getting 5 watts. you'll still get the breakup from the pre/power amps but with some different tonalities. i've actually been looking into this a lot myself because i want to upgrade the 8": speaker in my 5 watter to a 10" or 12" for more full bass response. that probably didn't help you any but hey man, i'm not a speaker scientist. i'm more of a vagina scientist.
all wattage of a speaker is is ability to handle a certain amount of current.

i drag race, my formula has got all forged internals, and is a high11 usually, on a bad run low12 second car, just because the parts i put in my bottom end can handle 1,000 HP, doesn't mean the engine puts out 1,000 HP (although i wish it did), it just means that that is what my rod bolts will handle before it throws a piston through my block. i am at about 650HP atm.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sensitivity
A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). The higher the rating, the louder your speakers will play with a given amount of amplifier power. Sensitivity is often measured by driving a speaker with one watt and measuring the loudness in decibels at one meter.

A speakers db rating is it's sensitivity
Quote by CavemanJB
yes they will play at two different volumes. a 5 watt amp can actually be really loud with the right speaker and there's a lot of surprisingly technical reasons why, but the sensitivity seems to be the biggest factor. a 30w and a 50w speaker are not the same and i'm not sure why you think they are. i don't think having a different speaker will change the breakup much because that speaker will still only be getting 5 watts. you'll still get the breakup from the pre/power amps but with some different tonalities. i've actually been looking into this a lot myself because i want to upgrade the 8": speaker in my 5 watter to a 10" or 12" for more full bass response. that probably didn't help you any but hey man, i'm not a speaker scientist. i'm more of a vagina scientist.

more power to you then!
man, this stuff is damn confusing!

▼ but he is ▼
right but a 98 and a 95 sensitivity rating is barely any different through a 5 watt amp.

All it means is that the speaker needs half as much power to get the same volume given a 3db difference in sensitivity.

So with a 5 watt amp through a 98 decible speaker you'd get X volume.
with the 95 you'd get X volume at 2.5. So you have another 2.5 of power left in the amp I suppose.

However, since you need another 3 decibles to notice any difference in volume that extra 2.5 watts won't produce the necessary volume change.

Additionally, speakers do break up when they are pushed close to their maximum wattage rating.

However, a 5watt amp will not push either a 30 watt or a 50 watt speaker to any noticeable breakup.

So the answer is still no.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
-Acoustic Mirror-
you're right, but i question your math skills...

it really won't make that big of a volume difference though.
Quote by ethanwhufc
throw it out.

have you ever heard of boutique or recording amps?

why are you guys saying it isnt going to be much of a difference? everything else i read says 95db in a 5w is the same thing as 95db in 50w i think? comparatively, isnt 3dbs a huge difference? why should it be any less through a 5w amp since watts apparently have no reflection on loudness?

▼ but he is ▼
what. watts absolutely has a reflection on loudness. Just not in the way anyone ever thinks.

5 watt amps are recording amps.

They only get so loud.

Through the same speaker efficiency a 50 watt amp will be twice as loud as a 5 watt amp if the only thing that's different is the power section.

You need 6-9 decibles of efficiency difference.

That's only counting "real" sound.

There's going to be a big difference in perceived sound since 5 watts won't have the bass response that 50 will have.
Quote by AcousticMirror
what. watts absolutely has a reflection on loudness. Just not in the way anyone ever thinks.

5 watt amps are recording amps.

They only get so loud.

Through the same speaker efficiency a 50 watt amp will be twice as loud as a 5 watt amp if the only thing that's different is the power section.

You need 6-9 decibles of efficiency difference.

That's only counting "real" sound.

There's going to be a big difference in perceived sound since 5 watts won't have the bass response that 50 will have.

then how does amp wattage contribute to the loudness of a speaker? and why does the 50w amp get any better response from the same speaker?

▼ but he is ▼
it doesn't. it contributes to hoe hard the speaker is pushed and how much the speaker contributes to the sound.