Hey guys, about a year ago I bought a black ltd F series bass off a buddy of mine for 25 bucks. It was in bad condition but i fixed her up and gave it a new paint job and electronics and it came out pretty nice!

After i was done i realized...i dont really know how to play bass. So i just left it to sit and look awesome on my wall for about a year, which brings us to today. I have been building Cigar box guitars for a few months now and I'm confident enough in my ability to make a playable neck that i want to turn this bass into a guitar so that ill get some use out of it. Has this been done before? I assume if you figure out the scale and put a shorter neck on you could have a decent baritone guitar, right? if there's any problems you can foresee me running into please let me know, i would appreciate the opinions.

(Also, i am aware that im an idiot for pouring money into a instrument i cant play but i was more interested in restoring it and refinishing it in order to practice for future guitar builds)

Thanks,
-Tyler
I know someone in the 7 string legion thread did this, or is in the process of doing it. So it is possible, but I have yet to see the end result of this guys project.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
it should be possible, just match the neck poket sizes. you'll have to move the bridge more than likely, but that shouldnt really be a problem. you would have to refinish it to cover up the holes though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/
(Also, i am aware that im an idiot for pouring money into a instrument i cant play but i was more interested in restoring it and refinishing it in order to practice for future guitar builds)

Nice looking piece! Certainly not a waste at all. I think restoring old crap is extremely rewarding.

Since that has a bolt on neck, and you plan to make a new neck from scratch, I dont see any risk. Even if you fail miserably (and share your new knowledge with us!) you could re-restore to its current state with little effort.
im pretty excited to do this but i got two more CBG orders to build before i can start it so give me a few weeks and ill get some progress pics up for you guys.

just curious, any one know what would happen if i left the bass pickups in the guitar rather then replacing them with guitar pups? i think it might give it a pretty cool sound but im not sure. might just have to try and see what happens
The logic is sound with the idea. The only problem i see with keeping the bass pickups in is you might have dead spots in the sound since the magnetic poles will probably not line up. Not if they are bar magnents then you wont have a problem. If you have to change pickups the guitar might look a little odd because the pockets will be a little big for the pickups but that wont keep it from functioning properly.
you will lack a bunch of highend. would probably make for some good drop B chugging though.
no sir away a papaya war is on