im not sure if that makes any sense but basically i want to buy a new amp head
and noticed that all the amp heads i wanted were WAY out of my price range
so i was wondering if maybe i should settle on a cheaper low gain amp and boost it
with my floor pod plus or some other pedal(s) i buy.

what's your guy's thoughts?
i want something versatile but that can still go into high gain.
i can't spend more that 400 atleast at the moment.
thanks.
Well, most people use high gain pedals to supersede the amp's own distortion. By high gain pedals I mean a distortion pedal, like say a Barber Dirty Bomb or Hardwire TL-2.

On that budget you can definitely get a good clean amp and run a heavy distortion into it and get a good sound.

I'd recommend the Bugera V55.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Boosting only really works if the amp already has a fair amount of gain on tap itself. You can't boost a Blues Junior or something like that into death metal territory.

You can, however, use distortion pedals (pretty sure the floor pod has built-in distortion) with whatever amp you buy. But how good that will sound depends to a large portion on your amp, and if it is not suitable at all for high gain, then no dirt box in the world is going to help you.

In short: Want metal tone? Buy a metal amp. So you've got 400. What currency? And what do you mean by "versatile" and "high-gain"? These terms are highly ambiguous. Tell us what tones specifically are important to you. We'll figure something out.
I think trying to boost it with a Floor POD is a terrible idea, but I've had great success with running my POD X3 into an amps return, and disabling the cab modeling.

I think it sounds great.

To put it in perspective, I've owned a Mesa Triple Rec and matching cab, and I found the sound to generally be on par. I'm probably going to flamed for that, but the POD sounded just about as good, for 1/3 the price.

I've done with with a Roland JC-120 (SS), a Fender Hotrod (Tube), and a Fender Metalhead (SS) and thus far the Metalhead has been my favourite. It's basically just a big poweramp attached to some Celestions, for me, though. As an amp in general, it's pretty meh.

That said, I'm pretty sure the Floor Pod is based off the XT models? So I can't vouch for that series, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
@TheQuailman
Now that's one of the best first responses I've ever seen to any help thread on this website.

+1 to you for not being a sarcastic ass like others would.

UG IS HUMAN AFTER ALL!!!!!
Quote by TheQuailman
Boosting only really works if the amp already has a fair amount of gain on tap itself. You can't boost a Blues Junior or something like that into death metal territory.

You can, however, use distortion pedals (pretty sure the floor pod has built-in distortion) with whatever amp you buy. But how good that will sound depends to a large portion on your amp, and if it is not suitable at all for high gain, then no dirt box in the world is going to help you.

In short: Want metal tone? Buy a metal amp. So you've got 400. What currency? And what do you mean by "versatile" and "high-gain"? These terms are highly ambiguous. Tell us what tones specifically are important to you. We'll figure something out.

i would buy a metal amp but considering most metal amps are in the 2000 dollar range i can't really afford that im looking for a really bright mid focused sound with enough gain to allow me to do leads just fine think fall of troy kind of tone. and 400 dollars.

EDIT: the floor pod plus isn't that bad of a pedal i think most people use it for a while and give up on it but i went through like a whole month straight trying to get a good tone and found out that with the right eq and settings and cab simulator off it actually sounds pretty good.
Last edited by aeromakesmusic at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by aeromakesmusic
i would buy a metal amp but considering most metal amps are in the 2000 dollar range i can't really afford that

You've obviously never heard of Peavey amps.

Give us a location and a max budget and we'll have more craigslist listings for 6505s than you knew existed.
Quote by Seref
You've obviously never heard of Peavey amps.

Give us a location and a max budget and we'll have more craigslist listings for 6505s than you knew existed.

monterey bay california

i think the 6505 might be a little too metal for me but if it can get good bright leads
with out sounding too metally then i might get it especially in the right price.

EDIT: max budget would be 400 atm.
Last edited by aeromakesmusic at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Peavey XXX combo:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2316784751.html

Does anyone know if there's any difference circuit-wise between the combo and the head, except for the smaller power-amp?

EDIT: Laney VC50:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2308457708.html

There shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure the only difference is the power rating. I think the combo might've had a *little* less gain, but don't quote me on that.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
^Thanks. I figured they'd be the same, but the prices on the combos always made me a little suspicious.

Randall RH50 + a shitty cab. Keep the Randall, flip the cab?
http://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/2280007006.html

Can you manage 500?
Because there's a guy selling a Tranor YCS100 head for 400 nearby:
http://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/2279907409.html

And another guy selling a Blue Voodoo cab with a G12T75 for 100:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2316880097.html
Or this guy selling a Peavey 4x12 for the same price:
http://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/2307999475.html

These cabs aren't grand, but I can't find anything more interesting at the moment.

Quote by RX120D
@TheQuailman
Now that's one of the best first responses I've ever seen to any help thread on this website.

+1 to you for not being a sarcastic ass like others would.

UG IS HUMAN AFTER ALL!!!!!

I wouldn't count on the last point though.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 14, 2011,