You read right.

Im going to acquire about £2500 through hard work soon, and i need a decent live rig.

Im going to be doing alot of shows, so ease of transport yet volume are both important, what do you think of a 2x12 cab?

Preferrably amp heads, Easier to transport etc.

I would like an amp with a nice amount of gain, but one that isn't to fizzy or undefined. a tight sound but not 5150 levels of gain.

A nice clean head. this is where my main trouble lies, most good clean amps seem to be combos! it would also be nice if the cleaner amp had a nice light overdrive and 2 channels.

Cab's... Im after some orange 2x12's, however are there any that much better for the money? Remeber USA, Mesa sheit's expensive over here!

Pedal's? well im running a line 6 m13 for most of my time based effects. All the delays, reverbs and mod's are covered, and i also have a dd-7 for backup. What i would like is a nice high quality compressor (That's not too overbearing) 2 OD's (One for tightning, the over for another flavour) Maybe a 32 band e.q rackmount unit with a wireless reciever and a tuner?

And then, with what's left, a nice humbucker equipped backup guitar, doesen't have to be too flash, but reliable, good amounts of tone and easy to live with.

A long list i know, but i know most of you will relish the challenge. Is this possible? if so im having a bloody hard time..
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
212 cabs are excellent IMO. Easy to transport, and still pack enough wallop to knock you on your ass if you crank it up.

As far as amp... what type of music? What I may consider a tight amp with a nice amount of gain may not suit you.

Then you say a clean head... do you want 2 amps then? Or just one head with tight gain and a good clean channel?

as far as the backup guitar, I'd say get something relatively cheap. Maybe like an epiphone LP, or something along those lines. I don't recall what's available in the UK as far as cheaper guitars, but pretty much anything that has 2 buckers and plays OK will do fine if you just want it as a backup.

EDIT:

a 212 should be more than enough. Seriously. If you cant get enough volume out of a 212, then you need to be looking into a good mic and going through the PA. I play my mesa through a 212, and with the master on 4 it's loud enough to make you sterile if you stand in front of it too long.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 14, 2011,
do you know what sort of size venues you are gonna be playing?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
do you know what sort of size venues you are gonna be playing?

Generally, around the 250+ mark, and occaisionally bigger ones, this will be most weeks and around 2 gigs a week maybe. So yeah reliabillity would be handy

Quote by jpatan
212 cabs are excellent IMO. Easy to transport, and still pack enough wallop to knock you on your ass if you crank it up.

As far as amp... what type of music? What I may consider a tight amp with a nice amount of gain may not suit you.

Then you say a clean head... do you want 2 amps then? Or just one head with tight gain and a good clean channel?

What type of music? kind of like Hell is for Heros, Hundred Reasons, Rival Schools stuff.

2 amps would be great, That way i dont have to settle for good clean but shit gain situation. of course if there,s an amp that does both in range, i would spring for it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

hmm if you're only gonna be playing medium-large venues and you want portability it might be worth looking into an Axe-FX. you might also want to buy a high power active PA speaker for your stage monitoring at the smaller venues.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
hmm if you're only gonna be playing medium-large venues and you want portability it might be worth looking into an Axe-FX. you might also want to buy a high power active PA speaker for your stage monitoring at the smaller venues.

I would love an Axe-FX. For the Studio.

If something breaks down on the road, i want to be able to take it to any tech nearby and get it fixed. I have a feeling this won't be so simple with the AXE.
Quote by ZanasCross

I wouldn't necessarily say that amp heads are easier to transport, remember speaker cabs are very heavy too. If you're looking for a head, then go for it since it does add a bit more versatility to you, but remember combos are cheaper and you can still change the speakers if you want to.

Again, is a wireless transmitter really worth it? You're playing to 250 people, not Glastonbury, so I can imagine the stage must be quite small. Wireless transmitters are expensive and the 'cheaper' ones are a bit shite. You can save a lot of money if you're just going on with cables, which leave you with an extra £100 or so to go towards a good guitar or amp.

As for an amp, maybe an Orange Rockerverb 50, which comes in both a head and a combo, and is a pretty versatile thing. For a guitar, maybe the new Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster HS, so you can get good cleans in the neck with the single coil, and a bit more beef in the bridge. I haven't tried one, but I imagine they can't be that bad.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I wouldn't necessarily say that amp heads are easier to transport, remember speaker cabs are very heavy too. If you're looking for a head, then go for it since it does add a bit more versatility to you, but remember combos are cheaper and you can still change the speakers if you want to.

Again, is a wireless transmitter really worth it? You're playing to 250 people, not Glastonbury, so I can imagine the stage must be quite small. Wireless transmitters are expensive and the 'cheaper' ones are a bit shite. You can save a lot of money if you're just going on with cables, which leave you with an extra £100 or so to go towards a good guitar or amp.

As for an amp, maybe an Orange Rockerverb 50, which comes in both a head and a combo, and is a pretty versatile thing. For a guitar, maybe the new Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster HS, so you can get good cleans in the neck with the single coil, and a bit more beef in the bridge. I haven't tried one, but I imagine they can't be that bad.

Cheers my man, The reason for ease of transport is generally, most headline bands provide decent cab's, so you only need the head, Also its a kind of helpful thing for everyone else when you headline if you bring the cab. Karma and all that.

Stages being quite small? it depends some stages were basically standing on eachothers toes, others you have like, 7 foot of room around you.

I,ve played a blacktop tele and strat, and they were both pretty sick tbf.

I'll check everything out
Quote by ZanasCross

I'm not sure if it's out yet, but the Vox Night Train NT50 sounds pretty much spot on for what you want. It has nice cleans, a little bit darker than your regular Vox cleans, and two decent drive channels, and the girth channel can get some really quite high-gain stuff going on there. I think it's somewhere around 600 quid, and the matching 2x12 is 350ish. I would definitely check it out.

It's bloody loud too. There was a demo of it at a music store where I live, they decided to crank both the channel volume and master volume. You could feel it from outside, let alone hear it

An Orange Rocker 30 might do the job too, though I'm not as fond of the cleans, though you might like them.

For the OD, I recommend the Maxon TS-808. Very solid pedal, can be had for $150US from PGS, which is just over 100 pounds I think.

Enjoy spending