Just a quick question concerning my GCSE project. I'm making a guitar, woo! I was just wondering about the truss rod. I've already made one, but I'd like to know about adjusting it. I use heavy gauge strings, but I usually don't go to any tuning above drop b. How can you tell how tense the truss rod needs to be? Just to avoid unneeded damage to the neck. Thanks.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by 剣 斧 血
Just a quick question concerning my GCSE project. I'm making a guitar, woo! I was just wondering about the truss rod. I've already made one, but I'd like to know about adjusting it. I use heavy gauge strings, but I usually don't go to any tuning above drop b. How can you tell how tense the truss rod needs to be? Just to avoid unneeded damage to the neck. Thanks.

Leave it loose. Tune up the guitar and fret a string at the 1st fret and then at the fret that is closest to where the neck meets the body (around 15-17). Look at the string in the middle of the two fretted ends, around the 7th fret. There should be a slight gap. If there isn't, loosen the truss. If the gap is too big, tighten it. Only do like 1/4 turn at a time and recheck it. Play the guitar for a day or two and recheck it after it settles in. Basically you want it to be as flat as possible without string buzz (your neck is good and flat with a fret job right?). If there is buzz, and you are sure its not your neck angle or a fret that needs to be filed, loosen the truss a little to provide some relief.
Last edited by samhell at Apr 14, 2011,
I agree with samhell. Thats the proper way to go about it. Now if you want an average space between the fret and the string the usuall measurment is .015 of and inch. That can vary depending on the player. The easiest way i've found to do that is use a set of spacer guages for spark plugs.
Quote by Nephilim777
I agree with samhell. Thats the proper way to go about it. Now if you want an average space between the fret and the string the usuall measurment is .015 of and inch. That can vary depending on the player. The easiest way i've found to do that is use a set of spacer guages for spark plugs.

Same here. Spark plug gap gauges work great for setting up just about everything on a guitar.
The rul of thumb is that if you tune the guitar, put a capo on the 1st fret, and push the low E string down on the highest fret then you want to just be able to slide a pick under the string at the 5th fret. From there, it may need some find tuning. If you are getting buzzing between the 1st and 7th fret then your truss rod is too tight. If you are getting buzzing higher than the 7th fret but not below the 7th fret then your truss rod is too loose and your bridge is too low. It's more important to go by feel and sound than an actual measurment.
Not taking any online orders.
Also if you don't have guages you can use a standard metal 6" ruler. The thickness of one of those is about .015. Plus anyone working on a guitar should have one of those handy.