Page 1 of 3
...In Dubai.

Britain's Daily Mail newspaper reported on Thursday that Brown had been staying at the luxury Burj al-Arab hotel but was beaten to death after being arrested for swearing. It cited inmates of a Dubai jail who spoke to Brown's family.

Yep...that's Dubai for ya!

And what I hate is that this doesn't really surprise me, the government here has absolutely no regard for human life...

Link:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/world-news/4890176/Dubai-under-pressure-over-Brits-death

Also, please refrain from defending Dubai or the UAE in any way.
Please.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 14, 2011,
Wow.

It's scary that something I do could be punishable by death in another country.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Last edited by cptcomet at Apr 14, 2011,
Fuk da poleez

Oh wait.

Dubai sucks.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by cptcomet
Wow.

It's scary that something I do could be punishable by death in another country.

It's not punishable by death, you just get a fine OR 15 days in jail.
The fuck?
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Snowman388
The fuck?

Exactly.

I know I seem like a douche asking this, but could everyone share this story to facebook/myspace/twitter/friends/family or whatever you use?

I really feel this should get out, and I want this place to burn to the ground.
They should just ban him for a month like on UG.

How sad when your country would be better off with a guitar website government.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

We're subjects not citizens.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
That's horrible, poor fella..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by KTFM
****. That. They've started arresting people for kissing in public. List of places to visit has just dropped a number.

It's always been like that, it's what happens when you have a theocracy based on Islam...
Someone needs to build a pilgrim ship and sail to a free new world of liberty and freedom.

I truly believe and love that we all seem to be moving into new era of enlightenment, in many countries, who's people or cultures for so long have been in the back of a cave, entertained by shadow puppets on the wall, chained there by institutionalized religion.

I pray for those that are trying to sever those chains and walk out of the cave, into the light. Where wisdom and true happiness can finally be attained.

This all comes from a philosopher that died thousands of years ago. Before Jesus, Budha, and Mohammed. Maybe we are all studying the wrong, good, books.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
Someone needs to build a pilgrim ship and sail to a free new world of liberty and freedom.

I truly believe and love that we all seem to be moving into new era of enlightenment, in many countries, who's people or cultures for so long have been in the back of a cave, entertained by shadow puppets on the wall, chained there by institutionalized religion.

I pray for those that are trying to sever those chains and walk out of the cave, into the light. Where wisdom and true happiness can finally be attained.

This all comes from a philosopher that died thousands of years ago. Before Jesus, Budha, and Mohammed. Maybe we are all studying the wrong, good, books.

Who's the philosopher?
I really like what he said there, because this completely reminds me of how I feel about living here.

Quote by Masamune
I've heard Abu Dhabi is even worse. True?

Well it's the capital of the country, but at least you can score drugs there.

In all seriousness though, no.
Dubai makes it's laws stricter because they are broke and need the money that people will pay from the overpriced fines.
Abu Dhabi's economy is doing fine, they don't arrest people for no reason. (but it's the only emirate in this country that does so)
This awful, but Dubai certainly isn't the only place where the cops beat people to death... last year a British man was 'manslaughtered' by cops in the middle of London during the anti-G20 protests.
I was once nearly arrested for public masturbation.
But I escaped because I was really slippery at the time.
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
This awful, but Dubai certainly isn't the only place where the cops beat people to death... last year a British man was 'manslaughtered' by cops in the middle of London during the anti-G20 protests.

On the other hand, London doesn't have a massive amount of slave labour.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Just thought I'd mention that this is an article from the Daily Mail, and anyone who knows anything about this newspaper (i.e. those people from the UK), should know that it is a traditionally Conservative UK newspaper, which does slant its stories.

Often, they won't give the full details of a story like this, and although ANYONE being beaten to death after being arressted for anything is inexcusable, I'd bet there was something we aren't being told here towards this story.

Just saying...
Quote by 23dannybhoy23

Being pushed to the ground and then suffering a heart attack is hardly the same as being beaten to death, regardless of whether the push and the heart attack were linked.

/can-o-worms
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On the other hand, London doesn't have a massive amount of slave labour.

Definitely this.

Quote by Puppet_616
Just thought I'd mention that this is an article from the Daily Mail, and anyone who knows anything about this newspaper (i.e. those people from the UK), should know that it is a traditionally Conservative UK newspaper, which does slant its stories.

Often, they won't give the full details of a story like this, and although ANYONE being beaten to death after being arressted for anything is inexcusable, I'd bet there was something we aren't being told here towards this story.

Just saying...

Well there was an article on CNN, but it was too short and didn't really explain much.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/14/uae.british.death/
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
^ What do you mean?

If your asking why they murdered him, it's because he swore...

yes, but why dies swearing warrant such and extreme response. I could see washing his mouth out with soap or cutting out his tongue as being more within the realm of possibility, but death? I'm confused.
Dubai needs to make up its mind. It needs to decide whether it wants to be a modern country welcoming to Western commerce or a fudamentalist Islamic country with stiff restrictions on social behavior. It can't have it both ways.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by MakinLattes
yes, but why dies swearing warrant such and extreme response. I could see washing his mouth out with soap or cutting out his tongue as being more within the realm of possibility, but death? I'm confused.

I don't know why they killed him, he was arrested for swearing, and the punishment for that (like I said before) is either 15 days in jail, or a fine to pay.

He got beaten up when he was in custody for no apparent reason (so far).

Quote by PatchworkMan
Dubai needs to make up its mind. It needs to decide whether it wants to be a modern country welcoming to Western commerce or a fudamentalist Islamic country with stiff restrictions on social behavior. It can't have it both ways.

Don't you think that this event suggests that they already have made up their mind?

This is a totalitarian establishment run as a theocracy and confused with a neo-liberal center of globalization.

In other words, this country is sh*t.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't know why they killed him, he was arrested for swearing, and the punishment for that (like I said before) is either 15 days in jail, or a fine to pay.

He got beaten up when he was in custody for no apparent reason (so far).

Don't you think that this event suggests that they already have made up their mind?

This is a totalitarian establishment run as a theocracy and confused with a neo-liberal center of globalization.

In other words, this country is sh*t.

I don't think they meant to kill him, he was probably a rowdy MAN united fan and when he got on their nerves they beat him, but they probably didn't think it would kill him, this happens a LOT in physical confrontations as people don't know just how fragile a human can be.
Looks like we need to get in there and kick some ass.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I suspect the British man was being a smart mouth then got beaten for it while in custody. The law is the law. No matter how stupid it is. If I get arrested for wearing a Burqa in France I wouldn't ****ing complain because I know it is the law, even though I disagree with it.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Who's the philosopher?
I really like what he said there, because this completely reminds me of how I feel about living here.

It's Plato. Derived from a writing usually called the 'Allegory of the Cave.'

This is abhorrent in every way.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Exactly.

I know I seem like a douche asking this, but could everyone share this story to facebook/myspace/twitter/friends/family or whatever you use?

I really feel this should get out, and want this place to burn to the ground.

I agree that's it's terrible they did this but that's a bit extreme don't you think.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by true_bacon22
I don't think they meant to kill him, he was probably a rowdy MAN united fan and when he got on their nerves they beat him, but they probably didn't think it would kill him, this happens a LOT in physical confrontations as people don't know just how fragile a human can be.

Oh trust me this happens a lot here (not with british people, but usually indians/pakis who are fed up with being mistreated)

Also did you even read the thread description man?
NO DEFENDING UAE!

Quote by Todd Hart
Looks like we need to get in there and kick some ass.

I shall be your inside man, and when you're done kicking ass, take me with you?

Quote by blankoff
I agree that's it's terrible they did this but that's a bit extreme don't you think.

No.
You have no idea what it's like living in a theocracy, where slave labour seems to go un-noticed, and censorship is a daily practice.
Almost weekly, one of the construction workers that are brought here from (mostly) south asia commits suicide, hundreds of them die because of poor living conditions and dangerous working conditions, yet the government seems to cover it up fine. It almost seems like they try to wipe their asses with human rights laws...

People think everyone in Dubai is rich, well no. A shit-load of people are bankrupt and some even living on the streets.

If you really want to know how shitty this country is, I found this article a while ago in the Independent (newspaper) and here's the link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

I show this article to a lot of people who say that Dubai is amazing etc., because people need to know what's happening.

/rant over
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I shall be your inside man, and when you're done kicking ass, take me with you?

Will do, dude. You're safe now.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
That's insane! I used to really want to go to Dubai but now I don't think so. If you can get drunk make out with some chick and curse in public then that place just ain't for me.
Quote by blankoff

Not really, Dubai is horrible, I look forward to the day very soon when it is reclaimed by the sand.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by KTFM
****. That. They've started arresting people for kissing in public. List of places to visit has just dropped a number.

Those ass-backward countries.
Page 1 of 3