So practice makes perfect.. but the problem here is, I have no idea what to practice

Okay so I've started learning the acoustic guitar for about 3 weeks now.. I'm currently attending a music school but all the instructor has been doing is making us play songs with the same 4 chords for about .. 2 weeks consecutive? Which I feel is kind of pointless.. Maybe its just me being impatient, idk man..

Right now I'm just self learning some picking songs with tabs online because I find that more fun than the strumming So guys, what can I practice to improve my skills? Maybe some scales or exercises? Please do give some advice. Thanks.
Scales for sure. chords, just as much as you can learn, you can never know too much on guitar... ? just learns scales and all that stuff
i haven't met anyone who within 3 weeks could play songs making smooth perfect changes between chords that are clean - meaning that there's no buzzing or muting from imperfectly fingered strings. have you perfected all of that?

btw, there is no "one size fits all" practice routine. what are your goals? what kind of music do you want to be able to play?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Well.. I think all of my chords and switching are perfect (from my own perception) .. except for the stuff like Bm which requires barring of the entire fret.

Goals? Well I'm not too sure bout that.. But in the future I hope I can play any song by ear I'm also really a fanboy of fingerstyle guitarists
maybe you should work on your barre chords next, if those are giving you trouble. and perhaps learn some more chords, since you want to be able to play any song. once you have more chords, you can work on your changes.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
You should do an exercise using the Bm and F barre chord or really the A shape and E shape barre chord. The way it works is Finger the F chord and strum to make sure it sounds good, then finger the Bm chord and strum, Then back to the F. Now move the whole barre up 1 fret, go back and forth between the shapes, then up one fret etc.

I bet you have been practicing a lot so you are at the stage that barre chords are difficult and it is hard to get to them quickly. This exercise builds a lot of hand strength and gets you a little more used to the barre chords.

The other thing you should do is either pick out a picking pattern and use it while you change between the 4 chords or just start messing around with picking out notes as you go through those chords and see what you like. There is also some great lessons on fingerstyle and picking patterns on brightonguitar.com. You might find some stuff you like there. Good luck. Good idea to try to keep yourself from getting bored. The idea is to enjoy yourself, right?
Thanks, i'll definitely try out that exercise

Also, brightonguitar.com does not seem to work for me, is there a mispelling somewhere?

Anyway thanks to all, looking forward to more exercises to improve
learn all the major and minor chords. google how to play all the strum and sing songs you know. learn the major scale, then learn how chords relate to scales and how they fit together. learn the blues and minor scales, and how chords relate to those. learn the 7th chords.
that's pretty much all you need for 90% of music.
http://www.brightonguitarlessons.co.uk/lessons/

I think they changed the address, but there it is. If you look under developing rythm guitar there is stuff about fingerstyle. It is a good site you should look through the beginner stuff too.
Look that over and learn your open major and minor chords, and work on the barre chord exercise to build strength. Good luck
Learn more songs before you learn scales and stuff.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Practice chromatics to build up finger strength. Boring, I know, but I still do them and I've been playing for three years now.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

^ mixing whole tones and semi tones together is better, but still not that great to do early on.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.