quick question guys, i am thinking about getting a alesis quadraverb to use with my matchless because it i like reverb and it doesn't have it. i do have the trex tonebug reverb, while it sounds pretty nice, i can't take the constant hiss that it has when you turn it on.

so my question is, how will the the quadraverb work in front of my amp. I know it won't sound as nice as it would through an effects loop but will it still be good. otherwise i might just go with a dr scientist reverberator.

cheers.
A Quadraverb does prefer a fairly hot signal but if you wind up the input trim a guitar will drive it ok. I added a loop to my amp just for the Quaddy but I used it out front for quite a long time. It does sound better in the loop but all reverbs do. It's no better or worse at sitting out front than any other reverb/mod unit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so sticking something like a super hard on before it to beef up the signal will help it?

i was waiting for you to come in and give me an answer because i'm pretty sure i had a conversation about the quadraverb with you at some point.

cheers again mate.
Well it will but you wouldn't be running it all the time would you? It will work.
Reverb in particular does prefer to be in a loop. If you look at the schematics for even something like the Fender Twin the reverb is placed after the preamp. They could have stuck it just about anywhere because it has it's own driver/recovery so unity across the unit is easy enough to achieve but everybody sticks them after the preamp.
I ran it in front for many years and it worked fine, adding a loop to my amp was worth the effort but I got away with the Quaddy out front for a lot of years. I usually placed it after my GP-8 (or in the GP-8's loop) but I usually ran the GP-8 pretty much at unity so it had the same level coming out that it had going in. You just need to turn up the input level control on the Quaddy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification