Last night I purchased an Epiphone Sheraton and upon further inspection I have the suspicion that the guitar is a fake. My biggest concern is the serial number. I plugged the serial number into here http://guitardaterpr...g/epiphone.aspx and it comes back as "unrecognized." The serial number, which is stamped onto the back of the headstock of the guitar, is S9324700. Also, stamped into the bottom of the back of the headstock is "Made in Korea". According to many websites I've looked at, the "S" means that it came from the Samick factory in Korea, and the "93" means that it was made in 1993. And the next two digits should represent the month, but obviously there is no "24" month.

Any one have any idea what could be wrong with my serial? Is this just a flat out fake guitar? I've also noticed that the volume/tone knobs are raised against the body and not flush against it like they are on my Les Paul. Please help! Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
doesnt sound fake to me. guitar dater project doesnt have all the info on all epiphone guitars

edit: I think this might mean it was made february 1993
Last edited by fifer at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by fifer
doesnt sound fake to me. guitar dater project doesnt have all the info on all epiphone guitars

edit: I think this might mean it was made february 1993

Ah I see, so made in Samick factory in Korea in 1993 possibly in February and it was the 4700 unit off the line. I hope you're right. I was just concerned by the odd serial number because just about every other serial number I looked at online followed the typical format.

Does anyone else have a 1993 Sheraton?