Have you ever listened to one genre and had more concentration on the task at hand and then listened to a different genre and lost concentration?

I ask this because while I was working on a test I was listening to one genre (Metal) and had good concentration and then switched to another genre (Prog/Alt rock) and I completely lost concentration.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
For me it's not really by genre, if I just love one song a little more than the other, I would lose my shit during the exam.
I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but I get disoriented for a few minutes if I'm listening to one genre and it suddenly changes.
cat
It's not the genre that helps me concentrate, it's the fact the music blocks everything out that does it for me.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
You're allowed to listen to music during tests/exams? Where the hell are you from?

That shit's like, completely against the rules here.
Quote by maidenrulz19
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
I find that instrumental music helps me focus better. It's not distracting, where as sometimes I'll try to sing along or discern what's being said.
Apparently slow music enhances concentration and memory. I always listened to The Death of Music by Devin Townsend before exams, and I'd have gotten bad marks either way so you have learnt nothing from this post.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Sizzleby
You're allowed to listen to music during tests/exams? Where the hell are you from?

That shit's like, completely against the rules here.

Well, if your class is a computer class and the teacher encourages you to use your resources and they don't care what you listen to or when you can listen to it, you can get away with dang near anything.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by chaos13
derp, don't listen to music during an exam.

listen to music during exam? It's forbidden here.
For me, it doesn't really matter once I'm about a quarter's way into whatever I'm doing. I can begin by listening to Slayer, and then notice only about 30 mins later that I've been groovin' out to Boney M
Dudes, I shit you not I used to sit in algebra with the Lateralus album on my headphones and I've never done so well in math. I felt like Russel Crowe in A Beautiful Mind
In a 15 minute session of work, I can go from Paramore to Cannibal Corpse to Miles Davis to Taylor Swift to Dethklok then back to Paramore without even noticing.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
In a 15 minute session of work, I can go from Paramore to Cannibal Corpse to Miles Davis to Taylor Swift to Dethklok then back to Paramore without even noticing.

Those are short songs...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by GoldfishMoon

Have you ever tried any good music though?
Haha, when it comes to studying, I occasionally get really into a song and stop working because I keep focusing on the song. But generally it just passes along normally.
For me, when I'm doing math homework, metal, metalcore, and other genres along those lines, seem to do the best. Stuff like System of a Down, A7X's Waking the Fallen, Killswitch Engage, and a few others let me concentrate more. If I listen to something a little slower I start to try and pick apart the music.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Happens all the time. I'm not sure if its the genre or just the simplicity or complexity of the music. I find that when i listen to something like Tom Petty or The Beatles that its very easy to concentrate, but if i switch to Rush or Dream Theater than the music just grabs my attention, because there is so much more to listen to, it demands more listening to get the full affect of the music. I also noticed that i can't concentrate when I'm listening to new music for the first time.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
When I'm doing math homework I listen to mathcore.

When I'm researching gay rights I listen to Trivium.
i find the bpm in i cum blood is too fast to fap to, hammer smashed face is the same

paramore on the other hand
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Don't listen to your favorite band. Don't make the same Coheed fueled mistake I did and write The Devil in Jersey City for "what's a local myth from your area?" on a myth exam...

Oh, and avoid fast paced songs. If it gives you too much energy, you'll skip over important details. Or so I've found.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
It depends on how familiar I am with the music, not necessarily the genre. For example the other day I tried studying while listening to The Human Abstract's Midheaven, and I couldn't concentrate on my work because it was brand new to me (and also because its terrible music).

But I can listen to Converge or Dillinger while studying because I'm familiar with their music and I can push it into the background when I need to.
MATTERHORN
I find that I learn more when I listen to bands like God Is An Astronaut and heavier Opeth songs than I can with any other types of music
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
This is why I listen to one artist at a time so that I don't get distracted with different genres of music.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by housty
^ Gay

The ignorance is strong with this one.

I can't concentrate with music. Unless it's math maybe, but I hate math.
pinga
honestly, i find i work really well to post rock and chilled dubstep
i cant listen to fast paced heavy songs, it just takes from my concentration too much and i end up losing all interenst in my work to go and pick up my guitar and jam along
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
A lot of what you guys said is making sense, especially when it comes down to songs you know and being able to push them to the back of your head and not even worry about them until later, but when a song you don't know or one you haven't heard in awhile plays, you want to listen to it, and it only, and put off anything you were working on.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by rgrockr

Watch my stream?
i usually listen to brown noise when i study because music distracts me and silence is a blank canvas waiting to be filled so i usually end up fidgeting musically if there's no background music
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Doctor Matthews
It depends on how familiar I am with the music, not necessarily the genre. For example the other day I tried studying while listening to The Human Abstract's Midheaven, and I couldn't concentrate on my work because it was brand new to me (and also because its terrible music).

But I can listen to Converge or Dillinger while studying because I'm familiar with their music and I can push it into the background when I need to.

See for the most part i find the opposite of this. Usually when I am familiar with a song it tends to be harder for me to push it out of my mind as a focus on what it happening in the song and what part comes next, whereas if it is newer I don't know about it so i can easily ignore it.

Also songs without any words or singing of any kind make it easier to focus.