Hey all

I've been practicing with the metronome for a while now, but suddenly it struck me.. To me, it sounds like I play on the beat, but what if it's my mind playing tricks on me? It really seems like I play correctly on the click, but I keep hearing people say that if you play in time you shouldn't hear the clicks at all, and for me that isn't the case.

I do hear the click, but it sounds at the same time as my played note, so my question is, how can I know for sure if I'm playing on the beat and not offbeat?

Best regards,

Gego
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
I think everybody has this problem atleast a little bit. Have you tried recording yourself? That well help hear exactly whats going on. If you are still doubting it, try turning on more sub-divisions with the met or ask somebody if you are playing in time. Either way, Stick with the met... Its good for you.
either record it and have a look at it, or to make it easier to spot/hear mistakes strum dead notes in time to the metronome.
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I'm unable to record stuff for the moment.. Once I got my recording setup it'll make practicing alot easier for sure!
The subdivisions thing is a great idea aswell:p
Quote by RedFURR
either record it and have a look at it, or to make it easier to spot/hear mistakes strum dead notes in time to the metronome.

I thought about the dead note thing myself, but a bit more extreme:p I was considering devoting a part of my practice time purely do practicing timing by playing dead notes to spot the flaws more easily but that might be a bit overkill..
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Try and see if you can record yourself playing along to a click. Once i thought I thought I sounded in time, but when I recorded myself and played it back it turned out that I was pretty off.

So yeah, record yourself playing to a click and play it back. I think that's the easiest way to tell.

Edit: Beaten
Last edited by leephan at Apr 14, 2011,
i find it helps if you try to feel the grove first then you try to play along, from my experience this is far easier, and seems more musical to me as well, if you get too obsessed with the metronome itself i find it can almost feel like you are trying to catch a fly with chopsticks (especially when you first start using one)

i use a boss rc50 looping pedal for practicing, which allows me to record for 20 minutes at a time (and allows to practice with various drum loops that really add variety)without having to get the computer involved...sometimes setting it all up for recording can be a real pain, when i'm trying to practice the less things that come between you and the instrument the better i find, distractions can get in the way. the investment to me was definitely worth it. the other advantage is that it quantizes so if you are off on the timing of your loops...they sound terrible.

also, once you master a song and can play it in time maybe try to play with the actual album?
Quote by openedmind
i find it helps if you try to feel the grove first then you try to play along, from my experience this is far easier, and seems more musical to me as well, if you get too obsessed with the metronome itself i find it can almost feel like you are trying to catch a fly with chopsticks (especially when you first start using one)

i use a boss rc50 looping pedal for practicing, which allows me to record for 20 minutes at a time (and allows to practice with various drum loops that really add variety)without having to get the computer involved...sometimes setting it all up for recording can be a real pain, when i'm trying to practice the less things that come between you and the instrument the better i find, distractions can get in the way. the investment to me was definitely worth it. the other advantage is that it quantizes so if you are off on the timing of your loops...they sound terrible.

also, once you master a song and can play it in time maybe try to play with the actual album?

The looping pedal sounds like a perfect solution, if only I could afford oneXD
My gear:

Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Well, whoever said you shouldn't hear the click doesn't know what they are talking about. You need to hear the click so you can play in time.

Since I don't want to explain the the technicalities here, I'll just say that you know you are playing in time, when you feel the groove, the rhythm, the metronome is your little pocket drummer.
But you won't bury the click if it's louder than your guitar will you?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.