I believe the title explains it. essentialy im in a metal band and my amp/pedal combo is not working for me AT ALL!!! im running a micro metal muff through a marshall AVT50, sounds bad and i dont like the sound of the OD from the marshall. cant afford a new amp of such so it will be the pedal that gets replaced. for the time being im usin my friends metalcore and personally i like the sound.

The style i play would be a hardcore/metalcore type style, slightly thrash influenced. I'm not going to name a budget, i just want you guys to name some good pedal options for me.
Try the DOD FX-86. More gain/low end than an MT-2, and you can get them used for like fifteen bucks. Worst case scenario, you're out fifteen bucks and you've got an extremely overpowered little noisemaker that self-oscillates.
i use an mt-2 and i love it and would reccomend it. also the mxr fullbore metal pedal kicks some serious ass.
try blackstar ht dist
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by joey arce
try blackstar ht dist

You'd need the DistX for higher gain stuff.

I might pick one up in a couple of days so I can let you know how it goes if I get it.
Avoid Boss and DOD for dirt pedals. Get a RAILhead Total Utter Annihilation, it's designed for exactly what you want and will run you $140. If you've got more cash to spare, check out the Okko Dominator, it's $270 stateside, but worth every penny. I'm on the list for one now.

Also, you should probably look into a more metal oriented tube amp, it'll help quite a bit.

We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Can't afford a different amp? Then you're basically screwed. Sorry to break it to you, but the AVT just isn't that great of an amp and a new pedal won't change that. A decent dirt box would set you back 100€ or so easily and wouldn't do much for your sound, so I'd advise against it. Spending 500€ or so on an amp may seem steep, but it'll at least do your tone some good; 100€ on a pedal that won't do anything really is ludicrous comparatively.

Okay, I propose a battle plan: Take the money you'd spend on the pedal. Save up an additional 100€-200€. Sell your AVT. Take all the money combined and buy a suitable amp. Until then, deal with what you have now.

You might think that a pedal will get you closer to your desired tone, but every dime spent on pedals pushes you further away from getting a better amp, which ultimately is what you'll need.

Oh yeah, word on the street is that the AVTs can be turned into decent amps when you swap the speaker. But I haven't tried that myself, so I won't recommend it, either. But if there's a guitar store nearby where you can plug it into a couple of different cabs to hear what it sounds like with better speakers, that certainly wouldn't hurt.

Quote by alles7
i use an mt-2 and i love it and would reccomend it. also the mxr fullbore metal pedal kicks some serious ass.

No. That pedal is objectively terrible.
On the subject of MT-2's, I know Korey (vishnuroxout) claims to have made one awesome simply by removing some components. If you're up for modding you can make a lot of shit pedals a lot better for cheap.

Quote by bogg808

Get a RAILhead Total Utter Annihilation, it's designed for exactly what you want and will run you $140. If you've got more cash to spare, check out the Okko Dominator, it's $270 stateside

Also, you should probably look into a more metal oriented tube amp, it'll help quite a bit.

Yeah the amp does have alot to do with it, im going to struggle racking the money togethor for the pedal let alone an amp. Also, im not sure if the pedals mentioned are released in australia, and if not im not sure how to go about voltages and other things i shouldnt have to worry about.
I've heard awesome things about the new BOSS Full Stack (i think that's it's name). Maybe try that?
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Bogg lives in aussieland, and he's got both, I think. Either way, I've dealt with both companies, great guys to work with, just shoot em an email.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
On the subject of MT-2's, I know Korey (vishnuroxout) claims to have made one awesome simply by removing some components. If you're up for modding you can make a lot of shit pedals a lot better for cheap.

Yeah, they're pretty popular for modding. But stock, they're plain useless.
Can't afford a different amp? Then you're basically screwed. Sorry to break it to you, but the AVT just isn't that great of an amp and a new pedal won't change that. A decent dirt box would set you back 100€ or so easily and wouldn't do much for your sound, so I'd advise against it. Spending 500€ or so on an amp may seem steep, but it'll at least do your tone some good; 100€ on a pedal that won't do anything really is ludicrous comparatively.

Okay, I propose a battle plan: Take the money you'd spend on the pedal. Save up an additional 100€-200€. Sell your AVT. Take all the money combined and buy a suitable amp. Until then, deal with what you have now.

You might think that a pedal will get you closer to your desired tone, but every dime spent on pedals pushes you further away from getting a better amp, which ultimately is what you'll need.

Oh yeah, word on the street is that the AVTs can be turned into decent amps when you swap the speaker. But I haven't tried that myself, so I won't recommend it, either. But if there's a guitar store nearby where you can plug it into a couple of different cabs to hear what it sounds like with better speakers, that certainly wouldn't hurt.

yeah thats sounds like the smart thing to do, but i gotta make sure i can get a fair decent amp in the process, i am aiming a little high for a nice valve stack but reality is definately gonna knock me over.
I use a Zoom G1XN,I know a cheaper pedal,but it really does have some nice drive sounds and a built in noise gate.
Ohh, there's also the Emma Psidiyawot http://emmaelectronic.com/products/PisdiYAUwot/PisdiYAUwot.html

I know someone who almost got one lol, but got the Reesa 2 instead and plays Alterbridge style metal so he's using the ReesaFratZitz 2 or whatever it's called as a lead pedal in a pro-grade rig.

Except they're stupidly expensive boutique pedals, but no idea what your budget is. But it's one of the best metal distortion pedals I've seen. It would be something you'd use even with a good amp too I guess.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Avoid Boss and DOD for dirt pedals. Get a RAILhead Total Utter Annihilation, it's designed for exactly what you want and will run you $140. If you've got more cash to spare, check out the Okko Dominator, it's $270 stateside, but worth every penny. I'm on the list for one now.

if he likes the metalcore, i am not sure how much he will like the TUA. the metalcore doesn't produce the greatest tone, but pumps out a heavy low end. the TUA does not. I have them both and they are nothing alike.

the wampler triple wreck has the best aspects of those two pedals, with none of the shortcomings and then some.
Quote by Grawgos
if he likes the metalcore, i am not sure how much he will like the TUA. the metalcore doesn't produce the greatest tone, but pumps out a heavy low end. the TUA does not. I have them both and they are nothing alike.

the wampler triple wreck has the best aspects of those two pedals, with none of the shortcomings and then some.

Wait, what?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Wait, what?

TS said he is borrowing a metalcore and he likes it, you recommended a TUA. I have both of those and they sound nothing alike. The TUA seriously lacks low end and the metalcore is all about low end. So if he likes the metalcore sound, he may not like the TUA.

I also have the triple wreck which can produce the massive low end of the metalcore and the articulation and high gain of the TUA and a lot more. If I had purchases the TR first, I wouldn't own the other two.

Is that clearer than my earlier post?
Oooh, okay. I missed the comment about the metalcore. That makes more sense.

Quote by bogg808

Isn't this question posted every other day? My answer is the same: Dr. Boogie or DieFet
Quote by TheQuailman

+1

Also, I didn't think my avt took pedals all that well. certainly if you tried to run them over the od channel, crazy stuff would start happening, like the sustain cutting out etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO distortion pedals are stupid. Just get an amp that has good distortion. I dont even mean like $1000 tube amp, even a micro cube has good distortion
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
IMO distortion pedals are stupid. Just get an amp that has good distortion. I dont even mean like $1000 tube amp, even a micro cube has good distortion

you are stupid..

Barber Dirty Bomb
Okko Dominator
Korey's modded MT-2.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by bogg808
okko dominator
Emma pisdiyauwot
Toneczar openhaus

Only problem is that none of them will sound good through that amp.

Probably better than the amp distortion though... and won't be redundant when the op upgrades.
Quote by baumaxx1
Probably better than the amp distortion though... and won't be redundant when the op upgrades.

So? They still won't sound good. You need a quality amp to get good dirt tones out of pedals.
Hardwire TL-2
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"