Well, first of all I have a Epiphone special II, but one of the pick up's are damaged, doesn't work totally (3 strings doesn't get detected)

now my intention is to buy a pick up.

I wonder what should I buy?

(sorry for my English)
What's your budget?
What's your genre?
Don't expect a big change in sound from a new pickup on that guitar though...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I have a line 6 spider III 15w.
I play a little of everything, bur more metal, punk and rock.
Last edited by RDSpt at Apr 14, 2011,
Unless you find some cheap pickups, you'd be better trying to get a new second hand guitar... the epiphone special II is simply awfull (I know from experience, it was my first guitar).
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I'm pretty sure you'd spend more on pups than the guitar's worth.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

maybe, but it's my first guitar.

so it's better buy some "normal" pick up than a really good for this guitar? to someday buy a good guitar?
You would probably need to spend about $70 bucks for a good pickup, which is almost half of what the Special II is worth alone. Maybe try and sell it with the bum pickup for like $50 bucks and use that to get an Agile LP or something.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I'm a beginner so just let me ask trying not to look stupid .

what makes a guitar bad or good?
Theres a lot to it. Wood quality, electronics, hardware, pickups. Theres a lot to guitars that make them good or bad. I had the Special II as my first guitar as well. Its nice as a starter but its really not much more than that.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
well, i'm a starter. I want to buy something much better. but now I would just appreciate to get all of this one, learn as much as possible for later get a new one, and this one a really good one.

but now I have the pick up problem.
Quote by RDSpt
well, i'm a starter. I want to buy something much better. but now I would just appreciate to get all of this one, learn as much as possible for later get a new one, and this one a really good one.

but now I have the pick up problem.

Well like I said, you will need a new pickup. Quality Pickups aren't cheap, and unless you know how to install one yourself, you'll need to pay to have someone else do it for you.

But if you really do want a new pickup in it, I would suggest something along these lines.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Dude you can't dog the special ii. Don't listen to them man, it's a great guitar for the price, I got a specaill ii as well. Granted I haven't played a lot of others besides Ibanez and Ibanez necks don't suit me.

I experimented a lot, with a lot of diffrent pickups. At one point I had a single coil in my special ii. IDK about you but i would invest in some zebra pickups, I have a set in my guitar right now that i don't think will ever leave.

Thats really weird that three strings don't work. Considering how pickups are made. Take it apart and see if you can find loose wires.
Last edited by jypsyseeker! at Apr 14, 2011,
Install is not a problem, I have a friend who do the work.

I'm a starter so a I think for now it's a good guitar, maybe later I will think it's some bad guitar, but for me right now it's enough.

when I take it apart for the first time, I saw with multimeter and only 3 strings don't get detected
Quote by RDSpt
I'm a beginner so just let me ask trying not to look stupid .

what makes a guitar bad or good?

The Les Paul special is essentially made out of plywood. Not quite - but essentially.

That being said, the electroncis are poorly done, the attention to detail is bad. The way all the bits and pieces line up are terrible - and it's ugly as hell.

It is widely considered one of the worst guitars ever made, because of these things and it is not nearly as playable as a better guitar (or many in the same $200 price range, although none of these really are 'good' instruments).

Play the guitar you have, don't worry about pickups for a while, until you 'get' it, or decide you want to stick with it. Then go out and try as many guitars as you can in $400 range until you find one that feels right.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The Les Paul special is essentially made out of plywood. Not quite - but essentially.

That being said, the electroncis are poorly done, the attention to detail is bad. The way all the bits and pieces line up are terrible - and it's ugly as hell.

It is widely considered one of the worst guitars ever made, because of these things and it is not nearly as playable as a better guitar (or many in the same $200 price range, although none of these really are 'good' instruments).

Play the guitar you have, don't worry about pickups for a while, until you 'get' it, or decide you want to stick with it. Then go out and try as many guitars as you can in $400 range until you find one that feels right.

Did someone once hit you over the head with an epiphone special? Because you have an unfounded prejudice against it. Firstly, it actually gets good feedback - I think it has an 8 on UG reviews. I have one with new pups and it sounds awesome. I bet if I played it you wouldn't know it was a special. Secondly, it's not dog ugly, I have the wine red one with black hardware and it's a damn sexy guitar and my friends agree.
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
^ Dude, have you ever played on a nicer guitar ? Even the fretboard on mine felt wrong. Of course, I didn't know that back then because it was my first guitar, but once I tried some other guitars, it just felt so much nicer.

And the pickups are really really muddy, although you need a decent amp to really notice it.

Hell if you like it, good for you. And I'm sure there are some players that would make this guitar sound better than the guitar I play. But honnestly, even at this price, or let's 100 bucks more, there are better alternatives.

P.S.: And compared to the real deal, my cherryburst special II was fugly.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
^ ofcourse. I've played the real deals, but as a cheap guitar I think it's good. Perhaps you had a bad experience and ive had a good one. I guess I just get defensive over it because I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is.
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
Hey, it's a humbucker right? If you're stateside I've got a really cheap (but functional) one I could sell to you for cheap. PM me if you want it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

what im going to do with my Special II is get an EMG 85 Chrome and put a custom scratchplate/pickguard on it (covering where the neck pick up was). that way you can take out the selector switch and put in a gain boost or something
Last edited by MitchRB at Apr 15, 2011,
Nice, I plan on replacing my tuners, eventually they will break i am sure of it, the creeking sound leaves no doubt in my mind. I replaced the nut because mine broke on the A string one day. Then I replaced the pickups. Then i replaced the tone knob only with a top hat style knob. It's painted red (darkish) you can see the wood grain through it, from what i read special ii's are mahogany bodies. I plan on having a friend of mine repaint it this summer with black white and clear stripes.
GFS makes some good pickups for the price. Listen to the demos. If you like how it sounds, go for it.
this is just my opinion..

but i freaking hate alnico humbuckers, i seriously think they are the ugliest things ive ever seen. i only have them in my Epiphone because they came with it and i cant pay for humbuckers yet. all my guitar friends hate em, i hate em.

but if thats your thing knock yourself out (in the metaphorical sense)
Quote by MitchRB
but i freaking hate alnico humbuckers, i seriously think they are the ugliest things ive ever seen. i only have them in my Epiphone because they came with it and i cant pay for humbuckers yet. all my guitar friends hate em, i hate em.

Alnico is a kind of magnet, you can't see the magnet in a pickup.
Quote by littlephil

This lol
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by littlephil

lol whoops my bad but the kind that come with said guitar
Quote by Helicopters!
GFS makes some good pickups for the price. Listen to the demos. If you like how it sounds, go for it.

This.

GFS pickups are cheap and are pretty good. I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg on new pickups though. If you really want really cheap, just go for some generic ones since your amp won't really do good pickups justice, unless you plan on a better amp in the near future, which hopefully you will.

The thing I hate about Epiphone's Alnico pickups is how the bridge pickup isn't hot enough and the neck pickup is too hot and muddy. But I like the Ceramic pickups used in the Special GT guitars (i don't see why more Epiphones use them, they slay the Alnico pickups) and the Toni Iommi humbuckers are really good in SG's.
Once again - its an Epi Special. It is not worth putting a dime into. Just play it until it disintegrates in 6-9 months.
Quote by Doogy-Style
Unless you find some cheap pickups, you'd be better trying to get a new second hand guitar... the epiphone special II is simply awfull (I know from experience, it was my first guitar).
Me too, super shitty guitar. I wish I knew about guitar gear before I got it. TS, try to save up a bit of money and buy a decent guitar. My second guitar was a $700 Jackson, but you don't need to go that far up. Try the $300 range or so.

inb4 what you need is a new amp
Quote by jypsyseeker!
Dude you can't dog the special ii. Don't listen to them man, it's a great guitar for the price, I got a specaill ii as well. Granted I haven't played a lot of others besides Ibanez and Ibanez necks don't suit me.

I experimented a lot, with a lot of diffrent pickups. At one point I had a single coil in my special ii. IDK about you but i would invest in some zebra pickups, I have a set in my guitar right now that i don't think will ever leave.

Thats really weird that three strings don't work. Considering how pickups are made. Take it apart and see if you can find loose wires.
So you don't have much experience with other guitars, but you think the Special is great anyway?

Quote by ourmagichour
Did someone once hit you over the head with an epiphone special? Because you have an unfounded prejudice against it. Firstly, it actually gets good feedback - I think it has an 8 on UG reviews. I have one with new pups and it sounds awesome. I bet if I played it you wouldn't know it was a special. Secondly, it's not dog ugly, I have the wine red one with black hardware and it's a damn sexy guitar and my friends agree.
It has a 7 because a bunch or thirteen year olds went on and wrote reviews saying that its awesome and can do everything through their Spider/Marshall MG amp. I don't know about your guitar, but mine sounds incredibly muddy, it's difficult to play even with adjusted action and intonation, because the frets are incredibly uneven and the finish on the neck is sticky as hell. The tuners are pretty much falling off too no matter how much I tighten them. I took it out of it's case about a month ago, played it through my Mesa Single Rec and my Axe-Fx rig. Sounded pretty bad through both of them. Put it back in it's case, where it will stay forever as a sentimental guitar and nothing else.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 19, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t

It has a 7 because a bunch or thirteen year olds went on and wrote reviews saying that its awesome and can do everything through their Spider/Marshall MG amp. I don't know about your guitar, but mine sounds incredibly muddy, it's difficult to play even with adjusted action and intonation, because the frets are incredibly uneven and the finish on the neck is sticky as hell. The tuners are pretty much falling off too no matter how much I tighten them. I took it out of it's case about a month ago, played it through my Mesa Single Rec and my Axe-Fx rig. Sounded pretty bad through both of them. Put it back in it's case, where it will stay forever as a sentimental guitar and nothing else.

i freaking love the special II! and im 16, not 13

neck is great, frets are all even. i agree the neck pickup is muddy but the bridge pick up (the one i use most anyway) is good (considering its an Epiphone pickup)
Random Fact: I sometimes find myself picking up my Special 2 over my Strat and Lag. And i'll occasionally use it as backup on stage.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.