I play post hardcore, metalcore, really heavy sounding music. My preferences are to boost gain, bass, and treble and cut mids on my 6505+, but that leaves me a bit lacking on solo tone and doesn't give me a nice chorus sound. I was thinking of using the GE 7 or EQ 20 to boost mids, treble, or both for certain sections of songs.

What do you all think? I like the EQ 20 in theory, because of the saved presets and the very wide range of EQ, but the GE 7 might be enough if I don't have more than one way of EQ'ing. Also open to other EQ pedals.

And I've yet to really shop around so detailed input would be killer, especially since I'm a bit inexperienced with pedal buying
Quote by tragedyshadow
I play post hardcore, metalcore, really heavy sounding music. My preferences are to boost gain, bass, and treble and cut mids on my 6505+, but that leaves me a bit lacking on solo tone and doesn't give me a nice chorus sound. I was thinking of using the GE 7 or EQ 20 to boost mids, treble, or both for certain sections of songs.

What do you all think? I like the EQ 20 in theory, because of the saved presets and the very wide range of EQ, but the GE 7 might be enough if I don't have more than one way of EQ'ing. Also open to other EQ pedals.

And I've yet to really shop around so detailed input would be killer, especially since I'm a bit inexperienced with pedal buying

inb4 don't scoop mids. you could try an eq pedal to see if it'll let you tweak your tone to something you prefer, but work with what you have first, because in my opinion, low gain and medium/high amount of mids are the only way to go on a 6505. might just be, but i've just never really heard or obtained a good scooped mids sound from them
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Apr 14, 2011,
stop cutting your mids metalcore people! Mids only add heaviness to metal and the sooner we all understand this, the better this world will become! the guitar is a mid range instrument, and when playing metal, those mids can really make your guitar growl
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
stop cutting your mids metalcore people! Mids only add heaviness to metal and the sooner we all understand this, the better this world will become! the guitar is a mid range instrument, and when playing metal, those mids can really make your guitar growl

+1

I've been recently converted. Sounds bigger and more percussive.

Back on topic...

If the Boss EQ 20 lets you switch between 2 curves at one time if you need to have access to 3 tones at once (2 pedal tones + the pure amp tone) and need to switch between banks for playing a wide variety of music at once, but from what I've seen, you get better tone from an MXR or the Empress Para EQ.

If you just want to scoop, a 6 band MXR or ParaEQ could be fine, but the 10 band MXR gives you the most control. I'm going to get one because I play prog metal and want a lot of control over my mids, so cut bass, lower certain low mids, boost other mids, and the Para EQ will only give you control over a specific band.

However, the ParaEQ may be perfect for you, as for bass, mid and treble, you can pick the bandwidth, centre frequency and level of the curve you're tweaking and parametric EQs give you lots of control over a set of specific frequencies you want changed. I'd need one or two more parameters for my sound though, but it could be plenty for you.

Otherwise, another option may be to get the mids right on your amp, and use the pedal, maybe a 6 band to scoop them.

All depends on how much control you need but there's a few options worth looking at.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
inb4 don't scoop mids. you could try an eq pedal to see if it'll let you tweak your tone to something you prefer, but work with what you have first, because in my opinion, low gain and medium/high amount of mids are the only way to go on a 6505. might just be, but i've just never really heard or obtained a good scooped mids sound from them

on my bugera 6260 (as im sure you know is a 6505 clone)ive found you cant really truely scoop it. its got a pretty strong midrange. which is funny to me when all the silly metalheads around here think they get metal by scooping their mids like crazy, when the 6505 is the standard for metal amps with such a strong midrange.
I like that the MXR has 10 bands which is the same as the EQ 20, but for half the price. I wil definitely be checking that pedal out next trip to GC. I was just wondering, why is the Empress Para-eq so much more expensive?
Quote by guitarpatrick66
on my bugera 6260 (as im sure you know is a 6505 clone)ive found you cant really truely scoop it. its got a pretty strong midrange. which is funny to me when all the silly metalheads around here think they get metal by scooping their mids like crazy, when the 6505 is the standard for metal amps with such a strong midrange.

exactly. on some amps, i think scooping out some of the mids makes the voicing a little more metal sounding and sounds pretty good, like a mesa mark IV for example, but on a 5150 it just doesn't really work and it just takes the body out of your sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by tragedyshadow
I like that the MXR has 10 bands which is the same as the EQ 20, but for half the price. I wil definitely be checking that pedal out next trip to GC. I was just wondering, why is the Empress Para-eq so much more expensive?

Higher complexity and it's a Boutique pedal. Build quality looks tops.
How will this difference in equalization affect my sound? Just sort of generally better sounding? Less loss of tone? Just wondering if it's worth looking into when the MXR is much cheaper.
Make it look something like this.

- - - -
            -         -
          -             -
        -                 -
- - - -                     - - - - - -
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I like how nobody is listening to John on this one.

Listen to him. He wears pants.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I agree with everyone saying don't scoop mids. Making that change can probably cure all the concerns you described.

I can also speak from experience on the GE7. I set it flat and used it purely as a volume boost before I got my Fulltone OCD. I used the GE7 semi-regularly for 3 months before it simply stopped working. Also, switching it on made things very very noisy. Overall I am not a fan of the GE7. Don't know if my experience is common but I suggest staying away.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Apr 18, 2011,
Quote by tragedyshadow
How will this difference in equalization affect my sound? Just sort of generally better sounding? Less loss of tone? Just wondering if it's worth looking into when the MXR is much cheaper.

Much cheaper? I don't know about that....Where are you getting your prices?

And as for difference in sound, I don't understand your question. I'm not sure you're even aware of the difference between the EQ-20 and MXR, now?
The EQ-20 boasts a manual 10 band curve. Using this curve, you can save up to 9 curves in the databank.
You can then switch between one of these saved curves and the manual one on the fly. Meaning, if you're playing rhythm, and have one EQ curve, and you want to switch to a different tone for a solo, you hit the switch to a saved curve for a completely different EQ curve.
A lot of tone shaping there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Much cheaper? I don't know about that....Where are you getting your prices?

And as for difference in sound, I don't understand your question. I'm not sure you're even aware of the difference between the EQ-20 and MXR, now?

At this point I was referring to the Empress and the MXR. Not the EQ 20.