Alright, so a few months ago I picked up a nice Mesa/Boogie 6x10 Powerhouse cab off my local craigslist for $650. Good deal, I was satisfied with it. However I've noticed something. It's far too large, and I don't need this much power. I'm running a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 head into it. The cab is 4 ohms handling 900W, so there's no issue on power handling. It's just too damn large, I don't need the refrigerator set up. So I'm looking for a nice 2x12 bass cab, with a tweeter. Here's a list of what I'd like ideally.

- 2x12 speaker config.
- 8 or 4 ohm load. 8 ohm must handle 500W minimum, 4 ohm must handle 800W minimum.
- Tweeter.
- Under 80 lbs.
- Under $1000 USD. If I could make a trade from my Mesa to it that would be most helpful.

Brands I'm looking at are Markbass, Epifani, GK, Aguilar. Preferably higher end companies.

I live in Boise, ID. I do not mind buying used, I'd actually prefer it, more for your money. I am gigging. I'm a fan of bass sounds like Portugal. The Man, The Mars Volta, As Tall As Lions, Radiohead, Madlib, Lauryn Hill. Something smooth, deep, clean, and clear. The bass I'm using is a Squier VM J Fretless, with Dimarzio Model J pickups and a Gotoh 201 bridge. My GC has a fairly poor selection of bass gear, and most other music shops are relevant to pianos, horns, and orchestra instruments. So used or orderable off GC/MF.

Also. If you'd like to buy or trade for my Mesa I would not be opposed to any offers. But right now I'm just looking for opinions and advice on cabs. Thanks in advance for your help.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Ive tried and aguilar db 2x12 and loved it so much. If i could afford it i would have it. Im afraid i havent tried the rest on your list. But the aguilar gets my vote. Very punchy very midrangy indeed. Very powerful and strong and quiet light.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If you're looking for something tiny that'll last plenty of gigging, check out Orange's SP range. The 2x12 is the size of a 1x12, and you might even cant the 4x10, which is the size of a 2x10. Fantastic cabs, they sound excellent, and they'll survive anything.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Alright, so I'm taking a look at the Aguilar stuff. And I must say it's looking very promising. Could someone explain to me perhaps the major important differences between the GS 212 and the DB 212 please?

Also what is up with those Oranges? I mean really. It says 212, but I only see 1 12! It says 410 but I only see 2 10's! I don't get it...
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
^In the Orange cabinets, one speaker is loaded behind the other one. Very weird, but they swear it works.

You should have no trouble trading a Mesa 6x10 Powerhouse for a good 2x12. I think you're going to miss that beast, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The orange cabs are a design known as an isobarik. It's a way of reducing cab size and supposedly improving linearity, but you only get the volume of one speaker. It's a gimmick really though the Orange cabs sound quite good by most reports. If your interested try this thread http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124993
Oh I know I will miss it, I was at band practice, running my new Green Rhino through it and my markbass, the sound was bliss. But for my needs it's just far too much, weight and powerwise. I'm hoping a good 2x12 will get me near that tone, with some eq fiddling, but in a smaller, lighter, and more portable version.

As for the orange being isobaric, I would prefer to get the full volume, so if I go that route I may go for the 4x10, just for the sake of getting the volume of two speakers, though I love the round punchy sound of a 12".

Quote by JF-SH1
As for the orange being isobaric, I would prefer to get the full volume, so if I go that route I may go for the 4x10, just for the sake of getting the volume of two speakers, though I love the round punchy sound of a 12".

Y'see that hole at the bottom of the amp? That provides the extra volume. So you do get the volume of both (or all four) speakers. My SP410 and I can attest to that.

But yeah, the 4x10 is a fantastic cab.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
In the words of Miss Lauryn Hill. "It could all be so simple, but you just had to make it hard." Didn't you Felkara? Haha. Just kidding, but now I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll go take a trip up to Bass NW soon and check out some of these harder to find cabs, since my store selection is absolutely dreadful on bass.

Out of curiosity. I remember a friend of mine from Red Hands Black Feet told me about Emperor cabs. Opinions on this? I love a good deep sound, and I have heard that their cabs handle the low end to the point of ridiculous. Any guess as to how heavy it is though?

Maybe I should also expound on my musical situation a bit further to help out.

- Band is a 3-piece, Guitar/Vocal, Bass, Drum/Vocals.
- Guitar is typically very warm and treble, often use of harmonics. Mostly clean.
- Bass fills out the rest of the sound very well, second loudest instrument after vocals.
- I run a Boss DD-7 to add depth to songs, or to make some strange noises, or loops.
- A Way Huge Green Rhino MKII is used for overdrive/distortion, retains low end well.

- My own stuff that I do is very post rock influenced. The Album Leaf, Lymbyc Systym.
- Also based off The Mars Volta, King Crimson style of prog rock.
- Tapping, harmonics, syncopation, strong root/3rd alternation, full chord voicings are common occurances.

So I guess my questions are:
Are Emperor cabs light enough to meet my under 80 lbs requirement for a 2x12 cab?

Do they have enough high end to cut through with tapping and harmonics on a fretless bass strung with flatwounds?

Will they muddy up with full chord voicings? I know that the voicing of the chord itself will often determine the muddiness, but I've also found that certain cabs handle it better.

The music I make isn't heavy music, it's not metal or any kind of -core, but a good deep sound is something I can appreciate and strive for. I sent Emperor an email about a cab regardless.

Also been looking at Dr. Bass Cabs. Any experience?

Last edited by JF-SH1 at Apr 19, 2011,
The orange cabs are a gimmick as phil said. Theres been several threads throughout talkbass and basschat and nothing good was really said about the orange cabs and they pretty much just took them apart.

If you want really good lowend and have the cash get someone to build you anyone of the billfitzmaurice or greenboys fearful cabs loaded with a kappalite 3015 lf. Thatll have more lows then most things and a better overall frequency range.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/index.html
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by JF-SH1
Also been looking at Dr. Bass Cabs. Any experience?

Apparently the guy who runs the operation took orders, took a bunch of folks money, never delivered the product, went bankrupt or something, etc. There's a thread on TB about it on how the guy's a crook, its not a licensed business, apparently some of the few delivered cabs weren't what the customer ordered, there's talk of lawsuits, the whole 9 yards.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Dr. Bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well thanks then! I'll be sure to avoid Dr. Bass, as I'd prefer toNot get scammed at all. So the options that I'm most heavily considering are:

Aguilar DB 212
Markbass Club600 F32
Markbass New York 122
Emperor 212 cab

So between those... Opinions further? I'm currently planning a trip to a few shops with a better bass selection than Boise's GC.