Hey Guys, whats up

Set up:
Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top w/ stock pickups
Digitech rp355
Line 6 Spider 4 15w

RANDOM INFO:
Genre: Hard Rock, Blues, Metal...pretty much anything under the sun
Budget:750$ (850$, but my preferance would be around 750$)
City: Louisville KY USA
Future Interest: Roland GR-55 Synthesizer, A good amp, a nice set of pickups that will play Hard Rock/Metal/Blues, Better Guitar
Favorite Musicians/Bands: Carlos Santana, The Eagles, Randy Rhoades, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Label Society, Anthrax, The Grateful Dead...etc. the list goes on

As previously mentioned, I pretty much play anything, anything from Jazz to the heaviest of Metal...so i would want an amp that plays basically all genres

im not against buying pedals, but if i did, TOTALED it would have to cost below 1000$...I've thought about buying a Banshee Talk box and a Fulltone Plimsoul, so pedals are fine

Thanks guys, as always you rock

(PS...as a side note...i WILL be buying new pickups...probably Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2)
Two really different amps. If you want to play a variety of types of music though, I'd say the Classic 30 is the more versatile amp.

I own one and along with original music, my band also plays longer shows of 3 and 4 hours sometimes, and I need to be able to cover lots of musical ground, and the Classic 30 never dissapoints. You might need a boost/OD, or a seperate distortion pedal to get really heavy stuff.
Change the 6505 to a Bugera 6262 and you're set. Br00tz on tap, and the clean channel on the 6262 is golden. Throw a decent OD like the Fulltone OCD in front and you've got all the classic tones you'll need plus a nice boost for your lead channel to really scream.
Ya, i've heard Bugera is a VERY good brand

BUT, i wasnt recommended the 6262 earlier by some guys, i was told to check out the 333-212 lol....ill look up both
The Bugera is just a poor man's 6505 II.

You're looking at two amps on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. While the Classic 30 is closer based on your styles, I would try to go for something a little bit more in between the two.
OH, and i would just like to throw in....i do NOT own any cabinets of any sort...whatsoever...

and i would like to have a combo amp over a head/cabinet set...because i'd be carrying it up and down stairs everytime i wanted to play it...and after a while i'd get tired of packing a 4x12 cabinet around.

EDIT: but i would be perfectly fine with a 2x12 cab and head set...so long as it stays under budget
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by al112987
The Bugera is just a poor man's 6505 II.

I see your powers are just as strong as they always were, Captain Obvious.

6262 pwns 6505 II on both channels.

But yeah... TS, seriously, the 6505 wont do anything other than metal. The Classic 30 will do nicely for everything up to metal.

Bugera 6262 or 333XL for all your needs.
alright, which would be best...the 6262 combo (if there is one) or head/cabinet set

or the 333xl combo (...if there is one) or head/cabinet set

EDIT: PS...again...i forgot to mention...

i'd be playing in my bedroom mostly, i DO play in a band, so it does have to be loud...but it also has to be quiet enough to play upstairs in a bedroom
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3microseries.php

Carvin V3m. It's 50 watts that can go down to 22 or 7w , 3 channels, clean, and two gain channels with two different modes for each channel. it's 800 for the combo, but I'd go with the head and look for a used 2*12. I think it sounds better than a 5150/6505 or the classic 30. Just my opinion though, look up vids of it on youtube to get an idea of the sound. But please don't pay attention to the tone king, he makes everything sound bad.
ya, i know of the Carvin V3m, and it does look badass...and sounds good too

its definitly up there on my list of top amps
ok, this may seem like a n00b question...but can you custom set certain amp head/cabinet combos?

like have a Carvin V3m Head with a Bugera 2x12 cabinet?

im new to the whole head/cab thing, soooo...ya lol

EDIT: what i mean is, can you have 2 different brands in your head/cab set...it may be the dumbest question EVER...but im wondering if it would effect the tone in a negative way or somethin
Quote by JesusCrisp
OMG, there is no such thing as an 6505 II.
I don't pay much attention to Peaveys, I still call the amps the 5150 and 5150 II, just threw in 6505 because I suppose most new players these days wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about if I said 5150 II.

Message got across regardless.
I used to have a bugera 333xl and it sounded great next to my peavey xxx, however, it shit out on me and i will never buy a bugera again.

have you played the peavey classic 30 or the 6505? I dig them both. the classic 30 is a really versatile amp and it's tube so it sounds awesome. Maybe get a tube screamer like the maxon 808 or a bad monkey? just try them out at your local guitar center if you have one.
Quote by JesusCrisp
OMG, there is no such thing as an 6505 II.

Who cares? We all know what he meant.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
ok, this may seem like a n00b question...but can you custom set certain amp head/cabinet combos?

like have a Carvin V3m Head with a Bugera 2x12 cabinet?

im new to the whole head/cab thing, soooo...ya lol

EDIT: what i mean is, can you have 2 different brands in your head/cab set...it may be the dumbest question EVER...but im wondering if it would effect the tone in a negative way or somethin

You can use different brands of heads and cabs as long as the ohm impedances are compatible and wattage is either the same or higher. Though I'd recommend getting something better than that Bugera 2x12. Bugera cabs sound like shit. Look into a Randall RT or RV 2x12.
Get the classic 30 if you want an amp light enough to take to a gig or rehearsal, buy an MU audio tube zone for the metal on the clean channel only, get an mxr 10 band for the dirt channel change out the first preamp tube to a tung-sol reissue it's only 16 bucks. And you are pretty much set. Of course playing metal out of a 1x12 has it's limitations but you could pick up an extension cabinet. Had a 5150 once didn't like the heavy channel way too much bass and mid on every guitar I had but to each their own.
Yeah, I think the Classic 30 is more bluesey while the 6505 is a pure metal head.

I'd look into the Blackstar HT40 - 60s. They have better cleans, and can do vintage rock as well as high-gain from what I've seen. The transatlantic ISF gives it a bit more tone versatility too over the Peaveys I guess.

As far as cabinets go, don't know how good the Bugeras are but Orange PPCs are very popular (apart from the 112) and used in a wide variety of music; from Powderfinger (Alt Rock) to The Mars Volta to Stone Sour, Deftones to name a few. New PPC 412s and 212s are reasonably priced and you can probably find them second hand. You can always try a Jet City 112 as well for a cheaper one, and you could probably run 2 off the same amp in mono or stereo. Avatar custom cabs seem to be popular around here too and you can pick them to your specifications.

The Carvin V3 has caught my eye too; I've heard some good things about it and is worth a look into, but I don't know too much about it.

I like a few of the artists you mentioned, so my suggestions are based on what I've been looking at myself.

About matching cabs to heads, you don't have to and say using a Peavey 6505 cab with a 6505 head is voiced in the particular way Peavey wants to sound, it isn't necessarily the only combination and the best one for you. Each cab has it's own voice, and just pick one that suits your sound. Peavey cabs aren't the best out there, so you may find a Mesa, Orange or whatever might sound a fair bit better.

Also, if you spend a bit more and get the right amp, you won't have a need for tons of OD/Dist pedals.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 14, 2011,
ya the Carvin V3m caught my eye after watching a bunch of NAMM videos and demos. From what i can tell, its going to be a really good amp...im not sure when it gets released to the public tho.

I'll look into the Orange 2x12 cabs...but remember, i only have 1000$

EDIT: would it be smart to just buy a combo amp instead of a head/cab set? i mean, im willing to dish out the full 1000$ on a DAMN good set, but if my original intentions were to keep the budget somewhere between 750-1000$...not base-line 1000$ to somewhere around 1200$...

oh, and i do not...i repeat...i DO NOT have a msuc shop anywhere near me...

the closest guitar center is 6 hours away
the closest "local" music store is 3 hours away

thats why i ask you guys ALOT about what you all like, because im not really that able to go out and try it myself

EDIT: AND, may i add...im not actually making money from performing yet...when i say im playing in a band, i mean were practicing TO BE ABLE to perform, which could be anywere from a year to several years...it just depends

i've been told from alot from friends to not spend over 500$ if your not making money from music. But i've also been told (from the same guy) to go ahead and buy a good amp, because you'll always have it and IF you ever get to that point of performing, you'll already have a good amp

IDK personally...lol, i went from a Peavey Solo man 10w to a Line 6 Spider 4 15w and i thought the change was amazing...if i dish out 600$+ on a good amp, i want it to blow me away and be able to blow any amp (under that cost) out of the water in terms of tone and playability...im truely looking for the best deal out there.
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Apr 15, 2011,
/in with Jet City50H.

You can get their 2x12 and 50w head for $719. With an OD pedal - you're into good tight high gain territory. I just got this setup last week, and for the budget = teh secks.

Otherwise, check out used Peavey XXX, Bugera 333 (same amp more or less). I haven't really played the Blackstar's but it's usually love/hate. The Marshall AVT series is also nice - but you won't get that recommened from people on this forum very often. Other options are the Carvin V3m or V3 (used). The 6505+ isn't versatile enough it sounds like, so the Classic 30 is a solid choice - but will not do metal w/o an OD/distortion pedal.

Doesn't sound like you need a 100w head to me though.
oh, i dont know if its already been mentioned...but whatever amp it is, it has to be, preferably, easily transportable...i'd have to be able to put it in my car and take it to where ever it needs to be taken...along with my guitar and a duffle bag with my pedals and what not in it...
^^ya, thats why i figured the Classic 30 with an o/d pedal would be nice, because i COULD crank it up and be loud enough, but it would also be quiet enough to play in my bedroom
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
oh, i dont know if its already been mentioned...but whatever amp it is, it has to be, preferably, easily transportable...i'd have to be able to put it in my car and take it to where ever it needs to be taken...along with my guitar and a duffle bag with my pedals and what not in it...

Why sir, I believe you just sold yourself a V3M.

If you want versatile, small and overall badassery, it has those in spades.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
I've never played the Carvin, but Jet Citys are good amps. I don't think you could go wrong with that. I have the 20 watter which is pretty good.
I've only played the JCA 1x12 for a little in the store - it sounded fine - but I just bought the 2x12 (219$) which is superrrr cheap and it sounds fantastic. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. 1x12s sometimes suffer from being too small/lacking bass response - not sure about this one as I didn't crank it and was playing it on the JCA20watt head. Just something to think about.

The JCA can be played at bedroom volume - BUT I have noticed it doesn't sound great at that volume. When you get it to 3+ is where it hits the sweet, sex spot. I own this, so obviously this is my recommendation.

The V3M is $600 new right? + a 1x12 (also Jet City, just because its probably the only 1x12 you can get for cheap that is quality) $730ish. The V3M is a much better bedroom amp because of the built in attenuator etc. but based off of all the reviews I've seen online it sounds terrible. I've also heard mixed things - either love/hate - most being on the dislike side.

No experience with the Classic 30, but it's a solid amp from what I've heard.

But thats my $.02 on the matter.
V3m is 699$ new, atleast from the main website it is...which is probably where i would buy it from, cause no other good site has it...atleast from my searches
and ya, i know that tube amps get better the louder they are...thats what the purpose of tube screamers are isnt it? (yet again...probably a n00b question)

EDIT:
would this be good?
Jet City 50w head WITH Egnator tourmaster 2x12

Jet City:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA50H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=430427

Egnator:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Tourmaster-212X-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=609805

it looks like a good deal, and i've heard Egnator is one of the best brands out there...so i'd be willing to buy it if its a good deal
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 15, 2011,
that totals up to around the price of the V3m, so would it be better to buy the V3m set, or the Jet City/Egnater set

EDIT: sorry for the multiple comments, lol im just curious about all this stuff
Why do you want to spend $450 on a cabinet? The JCA2x12 is more than suitable.

Otherwise you might as well start looking at used Avatar 2x12s, etc. for $350ish.

Just cause you have a $900 budget doesn't mean ya gotta spend every penny of it

I played an egnater tourmaster 1x12 last weekend - it was solid - but the kid also had changed out the speaker for a celestion greenback.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 15, 2011,
Quote by VintageAmigo
that totals up to around the price of the V3m, so would it be better to buy the V3m set, or the Jet City/Egnater set

EDIT: sorry for the multiple comments, lol im just curious about all this stuff

Listen to clips and determine which sounds better to you and has the features you like. They would both be good setups imo. Personally I'd go with the Carvin for example because of the extra channel and some of the other features like the lower power options it has plus I like it's tone. It's up to you.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It's up to you. The combo is cheaper but the small head & 1x12 would be a little more portable.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!