I have an Epiphone LP standard and a MIM fender SSS strat. I Can get a MIM HSS strat for $220. Would I use the HSS or would the LP and the SSS over lap the HSS rendering the HSS not needed. I want to play classic rock type music. Thanks for any replies.
Its another guitar... More tone options :P

would you use the HSS? depends on if you play it. all the guitars you will have would be different in one way or another.
the HSS is good because it lets you get the single-coil tones and the 'bucker on the same guitar, which is pretty useful for playing live
If I had a an HSS fender strat I would rock the shit outta that thing dude
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
you could always buy one of those hot rails styled pickups to avoid another purchase altogether
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
you could always buy one of those hot rails styled pickups to avoid another purchase altogether

That's a silly suggestion. Who doesn't want more guitars?!?!
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
That's a silly suggestion. Who doesn't want more guitars?!?!

.....someone who doesn't want to spend 220 on something he could simply rectify for under 35 bucks
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

heres what you need to ask yourself dude, do you ever want single coils and humbuckers in the same song? ska punk for example would be a genre where you would want to swithfrom a neck singlecoil to a beefy humbucker.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I think it's worth pointing out that a humbucker on a Strat won't sound the same as the humbucker in your LP. It'll be brighter and snappier than the LP will be. I think it's different enough that it would be worth while, especially if you were to also set up the SSS Strat and the HSS Strat differently, say by raising the single coil pickups on the HSS and lowering them on the regular Strat for even more variation in tone and output.
Quote by megano28
.....someone who doesn't want to spend 220 on something he could simply rectify for under 35 bucks

You can get a single-coil sized humbucker for under $35?!?! Holy crap!

I mean... It almost looks like a humbucker, almost sounds like a humbucker, but I'm pretty sure it costs about $35 more than a humbucker.

TS; if you really want to get an HSS Strat, then go for it. You might want to check around a little more. You might find something a little nicer that isn't Fender.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I mean... It almost looks like a humbucker, almost sounds like a humbucker, but I'm pretty sure it costs about $35 more than a humbucker.

TS; if you really want to get an HSS Strat, then go for it. You might want to check around a little more. You might find something a little nicer that isn't Fender.

What would be nicer, thanks
Quote by DougMN
What would be nicer, thanks

I know Jackson makes the DK2. Might be a little more expensive. Just go on craigslist and search "HSS electric guitar," I'm sure you'll find something.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

it's pretty possible if you go used, I personally don't see the point in going new

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rails-Humbucking-Pickup-No-Reserve-/250799026693?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a64c97205

that's just one of the few that I found that went cheap

TS: it's really up to how much you're willing to spend, if you want to keep costs down, get the pu, otherwise get another guitar
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28

Or you could just pull a Bille Joe Armstrong and shove a humbucker in anyway.
Quote by darthwacko2
Or you could just pull a Bille Joe Armstrong and shove a humbucker in anyway.

yeah my point is that if all he wants is the HSS configuration he could easily do so, hell he could even swap out the pickguard for one if his strat has the appropriate cavity for it. If he wants another axe, then he should go ahead with the buy, if he doesn't and is just looking for a fat strat combination, buying a used axe when he could work with what he has is foolish imo
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

TS, short and simple. You could order a GFS bridge pickup and wire it for coil tap, so you can have either a humbucker in the bridge or a single coil.
Quote by megano28
yeah my point is that if all he wants is the HSS configuration he could easily do so, hell he could even swap out the pickguard for one if his strat has the appropriate cavity for it. If he wants another axe, then he should go ahead with the buy, if he doesn't and is just looking for a fat strat combination, buying a used axe when he could work with what he has is foolish imo

Yep I agree it all depends on what he wants to do. With something like this there are a lot of options out there. Personally I like my HSS but it's all preference.
Quote by darthwacko2
Yep I agree it all depends on what he wants to do. With something like this there are a lot of options out there. Personally I like my HSS but it's all preference.

But he could probably get a HSS format by simply swapping out the pickguard...

in his case, I don't see the point of a completely new guitar
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
But he could probably get a HSS format by simply swapping out the pickguard...

in his case, I don't see the point of a completely new guitar

yeah but he might still want an SSS strat
Quote by '93
yeah but he might still want an SSS strat

then coil tapping is his friend

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
then coil tapping is his friend

yes and no...the slanted coil gives a strat its twang and is kind of important...

if TS can afford it and he likes the guitar i dont see why not...especially for $220 its a steal. im sure hell find a use for it. and if he gigs it could be a spare guitar
Quote by '93
yes and no...the slanted coil gives a strat its twang and is kind of important...

if TS can afford it and he likes the guitar i dont see why not...especially for $220 its a steal. im sure hell find a use for it. and if he gigs it could be a spare guitar

a pretty foolish move, he pays $220 and only gets the benefit of a humbucker...if you look at this from an economical standpoint, he is losing more than he gains from purchasing it at that price. Besides just because you can afford it, it doesn't mean you should buy it. I have enough cash for a twin reverb, doesn't mean I'm gonna get one, even if I like having the cleans to mess with.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by obeythepenguin
If we looked at things purely from an economic standpoint, I doubt any of us would be musicians...

Granted, I personally think Fat Strats are boring and lack real character, though I only ever use the neck and middle pickups on my SSS anyway. But if OP thinks it's worth getting, who gives a damn what I think. I'd easily buy a second Precision Bass, exactly identical to the one I already have, just so I could set up one with flatwound strings. In fact, I'd probably buy one just because I like Precision Basses. You might say I'm wasting money, but I've never heard a dollar bill that sounds that sexy.

You don't understand the basics of Economics...a quick lesson, I'm going to go through this fairly quickly as I'm tired and in no mood to write

The basic rule that every economist must look at when spending is whether MB=MC. MB is marginal benefit, or what you benefit from getting one more unit of the good and MC is marginal cost, or what it costs to obtain on more unit of the good. If TS values the addition of another guitar at 220 or more, then he should go for it. But if you look at what he benefits....it's basically the option of a humbucker in a strat and maybe another guitar to mess with. Now you can't value everything with pure reason, as we are not completely logical. So if he see the benefits exceeding the costs, then he should go for it, but the truth is that he could get the same thing with a pickguard swap and save more cash in the end.

You might want another of the same bass, as you see the benefits outweighing the costs, I personally would never buy the same models and because of that difference in valuation no one can tell him what to do. I never did, don't know what you think I said, I just gave him the most cost effective alternatives, so he doesn't spend excessive cash just because a bunch of guys told him "dude you can neva has to manys guitars! herp derp"
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51