Page 1 of 2
For you people who live in the United Kingdom, why does your country sometimes go by Great Britain? My geography teacher says that when at war, it is Great Britain for intimidation. I dont think thats right. Sounds dumb.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
I've always thought that England was the country, Britain is the actual island and the UK refers to the whole collection of like England and Ireland and such. Not 100% sure though...

EDIT: ^ Hooray I was close!
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by barden1069
I've always thought that England was the country, Britain is the actual island and the UK refers to the whole collection of like England and Ireland and such. Not 100% sure though...

Pretty much, but not Republic of Ireland.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by barden1069

It's a country with several countries inside as far as I've learned/understood.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by jakesc8
For you people who live in the United Kingdom, why does your country sometimes go by Great Britain? My geography teacher says that when at war, it is Great Britain for intimidation. I dont think thats right. Sounds dumb.

Great Britain - The island which consists of England, Scotland and Wales
U.K - The remainders of the British Empire, including Northern Ireland, Falkland Islands etc
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Oh, God.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Oh and by the way, how the fuck did your geography teacher get his job as a teacher if he says that?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It doesn't?

Great Britain in the island consisting of England, Wales and Scotland.

The United Kingdom is Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel islands, the Falklands and the rest of the islands we own.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It doesn't?

Great Britain in the island consisting of England, Wales and Scotland.

The United Kingdom is Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel islands, the Falklands and the rest of the islands we own.

Same shit, different names
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Trowzaa
Oh and by the way, how the fuck did your geography teacher get his job as a teacher if he says that?

This.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
slap your geography teacher for me.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by cam_sampbell
Great Britain - The island which consists of England, Scotland and Wales
U.K - The remainders of the British Empire, including Northern Ireland, Falkland Islands etc

Not quite, the UK only refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Places such as the Falklands are generally called Overseas Territories.
The United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Great Britain has England, Scotland, and Wales

England is within Great Britain.

Now slap the **** out of your teacher for me. Seriously.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Whatever way you look at it, it is wrong to chop the top of a country off and claim it as your own.
Quote by Vince Sixx
The United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Great Britain has England, Scotland, and Wales

England is within Great Britain.

Now slap the **** out of your teacher for me. Seriously.

You're the one who needs slapping bro.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by robhc
Not quite, the UK only refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Places such as the Falklands are generally called Overseas Territories.

agreed. or they are classed as part of the commonwealth.
Quote by Trowzaa
Because they're two different things...

edit: Watch and learn sunshine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

That guy talks fast. Ok. I knew the UK was many countries. But not that Great Britain was the actual island. Thanks. I dont know how my teacher got that job. Hes pretty messed up.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quote by Trowzaa

this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Trowzaa

This.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

Quite the opposite. The UK is only GB and NI, the clue is in its full name. The rest of those islands are Overseas Territories. Geez, how hard is it people!

edit: don't dare get pedantic on my ass and say that the channel islands + isle of man are Crown Dependencies. I know. wikipedia has just informed me
Last edited by Beserker at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa

My geography teacher thought St. Petersburg and Leningrad were different places. When I politely corrected her, she threatened me with punishment.
Quote by kaptkegan
My geography teacher thought St. Petersburg and Leningrad were different places. When I politely corrected her, she threatened me with punishment.

Kill her with fire.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
And the British Isles are something different again. This is what happens when you have a country with a really screwed up history.
UG and Sporcle are both fantastic time wasting devices.
hay its better than my geography teacher, she told me that africa was a country, russia doesn't exist, and that europe included asia
Quote by Trowzaa

I was about to say.

BTW, GB doesn't have all of Scotland, as there's lots of islands like Barra, Arran, Iona, Skye, and the Orkneys which are all Scotland, but not Britain, but are in the UK.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Cyngus
hay its better than my geography teacher, she told me that africa was a country, russia doesn't exist, and that europe included asia

And in what way is she wrong?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by TheBurningFish
I was about to say.

BTW, GB doesn't have all of Scotland, as there's lots of islands like Barra, Arran, Iona, Skye, and the Orkneys which are all Scotland, but not Britain, but are in the UK.

Such a complicated nation.
Crown Dependencies I'm guessing?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

No, they're part of the nation of Scotland, just not part of the island of Britain.

All that shit, and some more.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Trowzaa

They aren't, they're normal UK which I neglected to mention I guess. There's also the Isle of Wight and Anglesea and whatever other random islands are in England Wales and NI. And what about islands in a lake or river, are they technically not in GB?
Quote by jakesc8

Your teacher is a retard. Great britian is a geographical term coming from Great britanina
After the Old English period, Britain was used as a historical term only. Geoffrey of Monmouth in his pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (c. 1136) refers to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. The term "Great Britain" was first used officially in 1474, in the instrument drawing up the proposal for a marriage between Cecily the daughter of Edward IV of England, and James the son of James III of Scotland, which described it as "this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee." It was used again in 1604, when King James VI and I, in a deliberate attempt to impose a term which would unite his double inheritance of the kingdoms of Scotland and England, proclaimed his assumption of the throne in the style "King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
U.K. - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Great Britain - the island which consists of mainland England, Wales and Scotland
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Apr 14, 2011,
Great britian = geographical
U.K = politcal.
simples
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
Quote by Trowzaa
Because they're two different things...

edit: Watch and learn sunshine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

Am I the only person who when he started to list the countries thought of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtdQ8bTvRc
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I find it even worse because its an honors class. I might confront him about it, but probably not, for fear of being smashed.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Page 1 of 2