okay so... I guess the kind of thing I am looking for is something that's gonna get me some killer melodic death metal sounds. Like Dark Tranquility, Insomnium etc. I have about $600 to put into this. And I gotta be able to do leads over my co-guitarists B-52 LS100 halfstack
Mesa Rectifier is probs your best bet. It's smooth, gainy as hell and has a volume boost switch for the solos you're talking about. They are a little pricey though, so maybe the new Peavey 6505+ combo, heard it's the bee's knees for metal tones.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Yeah I've heard the dual rec and absolutely love it but you're right about it bein' pricey. I suppose I could always save up a bit more to get one, but I don't want to wait around too long 'cuz band practice is a pain atm. Any idea what they might go for used?
I think a Peavey 6505+, it's got some heavy as metal tones and the cleans are pretty pristine.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
You can probably find a 6505 for $600, if not 5150 for sure. Just beware, they are great amps for the money. Very good for recording, but make sure you have a really good cab to go with it. Maybe some eq and compression. They tend to be a little "fizzy".
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by AmbientMathAsh
I think a Peavey 6505+, it's got some heavy as metal tones and the cleans are pretty pristine.

Lawl recommendation on the cleans.
Also has never palyed one, clearly.
Yeah I've heard good things about the 6505/5150's and I do like them, but honestly I am pretty much in love with dual rec's so if there was any way for me to get ahold of one then... I've checked ebay and seen them for about 750-900 used so I was thinking maybe just savin' and trying to get one of them.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Actually I did and thought the cleans were pretty good. Sounded kind of like Single Rec. cleans.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Even more clearly is that either A) You've never played one or B) You can't EQ worth a shit.

The cleans on a 6505+ (notice the plus?) are fine. I can't speak for the 6505 though.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb