Page 1 of 2
My friends are all amazed that with any guitar pick I use, It starts shredding to the point where the tip is completely flat and little particles of plastic from the pick are distributed all over my pickups and the body of the guitar lol (makes the guitar a little harder to clean especially since its black)

Does anyone else have this problem lol? I think its funny, Maybe they are playing too soft!

P.s. i use .88mm or higher picks
Green day.. Rammstein... I have weird musical taste
Yeah that used to happen to me a lot. I don't really like using a pick, so I rarely do anymore, but when I did use them, it happened a lot.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Not really, but I don't use picks 3/4 of the time.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I just checked, the picks I prefer are .5mm and not had this problem. But I don't use them fro strumming and I don't play very aggresively.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
yeah this happens to me alot
and my lucky pick's tip is completely
round at this point
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Let me guess... Your using Gibson picks?

I noticed that problem when I used Gibson picks, then I tried some Dunlops, and I haven't had that problem for about a year and a half now.

Try some Dunlop Picks.
Try V-picks. I use the Snakes exclusively, and I've been playing with the same pick for well over a year and a half now.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by YesterdaysToday

I noticed that problem when I used Gibson picks, then I tried some Dunlops, and I haven't had that problem for about a year and a half now.

Try some Dunlop Picks.

i use dunlop picks and the they get shredded
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Yeah I use Dunlop Heavies and I never "shred" my picks. I mean they were down eventually but its more common with my bass playing friends than guitar playing friends.
Yeah, the tips stop looking like > and start looking like )
i don't know why i feel so dry
I've been using a pack of some pretty sturdy Clayton 1mm fanned plectrums for the last few months, and they haven't worn down at all. Most others I've tried tend to wear down, though it's after a relatively long time (2-3 months) so it's not a massive difference.
modes are a social construct
I use .78 Dunlop Tortex and have been for years... never had a problem. then again i lose my picks in about 2 days so who knows
Yes it used to happen, but it was because my picking technique was flawed. I was exherting too much force on the strings, and my picking "depth" was excessive. These problems have been fixed and it no longer happens.

I tend to link wearing down picks fast with regular broken strings as they are both indicators of flawed technique.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yes it used to happen, but it was because my picking technique was flawed. I was exherting too much force on the strings, and my picking "depth" was excessive. These problems have been fixed and it no longer happens.

I tend to link wearing down picks fast with regular broken strings as they are both indicators of flawed technique.

+1 to this, I usually end up losing my picks before they're worn too far down. It took me almost getting carpal tunnel to realize I was playing wrong. I recommend a lighter pick attack to the ts
I never used to have this problem, but lately I've found that after about a month, my pick has become so rounded that it's no longer usuable.

Now I have a new guitar pick. It's about 2.5 mm and made of metal, so no, I no longer have this problem
No. Tortex are great. And i play aggressively. Light tortex. Orange ones.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
I used to now I use the purple tortex picks, I think they are like 2.0 mm or some thing either way I haven't been wearing those suckers down haha...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
How the hell do you keep track of a guitar pick long enough for it to wear down anyways lol?

I lose mine very quick and have to dig through all my pants or the laundry room or somewhere just to maybe find one. I almost ordered a bucket of picks yesterday lol
Quote by Thexbert
How the hell do you keep track of a guitar pick long enough for it to wear down anyways lol?

I lose mine very quick and have to dig through all my pants or the laundry room or somewhere just to maybe find one. I almost ordered a bucket of picks yesterday lol

If you only buy a few at a time, you're more likely to not misplace them.

Plus I found a little basket I keep my picks and random guitar tools/string sets/etc. in, then leave some in my case.

And finally, since I started using larger, fanned/triangular picks, it's way harder to lose them, especially since they're white. Drop a Jazz III and it's gone forever, but the huge thick ones are pretty damn hard to misplace.
modes are a social construct
I started on generic picks, from thin to thick. They wore down quickly and my technique was bad because I was starting out. Then I got some Dunlop Stubbies and they were okay but still wore down.

I've been using the same two Dunlop max-grip Jazz IIIs for over a year now and they're still perfect. The edges are a little sloped to one side but that hasn't affected anything yet. If anything, I'm more amazed that I haven't lost these two black bastards in the recesses of my dark under-desk after all this time.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I use Dunlop yellow plectrums for rhythm guitar. I love them; they seem to help with my downpicking speed but they only last a week or so before the tip wears flat. Good job they're pretty cheap.
Quote by AlanHB

pssst... regularly broken strings could be a burr on the saddle....

other than that, I wouldnt say its down to technique... plastic grating against steel, whether slanted or straight will still result in it being worn away. Malmsteen changes picks midway through a song... especially on that G3 with his chubby hands. That little chipmunk almost blew his pick supply on that dvd, lol... anyway

Glad you sorted your picking depth and string slamming out... it can sometimes be a painful and expensive lesson for some...
Quote by YesterdaysToday

Try some Dunlop Picks.

No i actually use Dunlops! I used them because i heard they were strong.. Guess they arent as tough as they say they are..
Green day.. Rammstein... I have weird musical taste
Quote by evolucian
pssst... regularly broken strings could be a burr on the saddle....

other than that, I wouldnt say its down to technique... plastic grating against steel, whether slanted or straight will still result in it being worn away. Malmsteen changes picks midway through a song... especially on that G3 with his chubby hands. That little chipmunk almost blew his pick supply on that dvd, lol... anyway

Glad you sorted your picking depth and string slamming out... it can sometimes be a painful and expensive lesson for some...

A professional guitarist would most likely be playing more than the average user on this forum, so it's more likely they'll go through more picks.

As for fixing technique, yeah, it took a year to fix my picking technique. But hey, it was a cap on my playing that has since been removed.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Mine wear down alot. I usually switch to a new pick every two week or so because i play alot. but it depends on the guitar, if im using my electric it wears down faster. if its on my nylon string guitar it takes a while.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I used to have a big problem with that, part of it is a control issue, and part of it may be pick to string ratio. what i'd do (what i did) was go up using thicker picks until i stopped breaking picks, and then use thicker strings till you stop breaking strings, then really work on precision and controlling your dynamics and picking hand
edit:
as far as picks go, i use 3mm dunlop stubby picks (which get a GREAT sound btw) and 11 gauge strings (though until I got my picking control issues down, i was using 13s).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Apr 17, 2011,
Yes, it happens to me too. I use Elixer strings and Dunlop Ultex Sharps in 1.14mm. The area in between my pickups is always a powdery mess.
The cool thing about picks is that you can buy new ones... for like a dollar or less.
That's what I do when mine wear out.

For a time I used other picks that didn't wear out so fast like the dunlop picks made from "tortex". The problem I had with that was that I felt like I was giving up tone for convenience.

I'm glad picks are cheap.

Quote by griffRG7321
To people who are shredding picks - Sort out your technique

It's not necessarily a technique issue. (I'd even say probably not)

Picks wear out with use. Some faster than others. Part of the reason there are so many choices now is that companies are developing picks that last longer. (like tortex)
though as I mentioned before the tone you get with these different materials will be different. I'd highly recommend taking that into consideration, and personally I rank it as more important than the convenience of a longer lasting pick.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 17, 2011,
It depends what you think is a worn-out pick.
A buddy of mine says "These are great picks, they last forever" and when I look at his pick it's like half of it is missing and the shape is almost round .

I use Ibanez heavys with pointy tips. I get through one pick a month in band rehearsals (16 hours playing) or 2 months of home playing. I consider a pick gone when the tip or the sides are visibly worn or when the sides are serrated (from pick slides/tapping or whatever).
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"
Quote by GuitarMunky

It's not necessarily a technique issue. (I'd even say probably not)

Picks wear out with use. Some faster than others. Part of the reason there are so many choices now is that companies are developing picks that last longer. (like tortex)
though as I mentioned before the tone you get with these different materials will be different. I'd highly recommend taking that into consideration, and personally I rank it as more important than the convenience of a longer lasting pick.

When i first started playing guitar i'd go through picks fast, once i fixed my technique they wear down much more slowly. With better technique you have more control over tone aswell.

Even picks that wear out faster than normal picks last longer with the correct picking technique.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by jay3213
My friends are all amazed that with any guitar pick I use, It starts shredding to the point where the tip is completely flat and little particles of plastic from the pick are distributed all over my pickups and the body of the guitar lol (makes the guitar a little harder to clean especially since its black)

Does anyone else have this problem lol? I think its funny, Maybe they are playing too soft!

P.s. i use .88mm or higher picks

Oh -- wimpy picks!

Nah man -- you need Jim Dunlop gator grip 2.0 mm ... on 14's with a wound G they won't fall apart like the music store freebie ones.
Y'all niggas pick too hard.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Never. Not even with shitty picks.

Thankfully, I've upgraded to Jazz III's (1.88 mm I think?) and can continue not shredding my picks. As well as just having superior picks over all y'all niggas
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Never. Not even with shitty picks.

Thankfully, I've upgraded to Jazz III's (1.88 mm I think?) and can continue not shredding my picks. As well as just having superior picks over all y'all niggas

plus one.

Never wear down picks EVER, I honestly don't understand how people do it, but I would think it's got to do more with the angle the pick is held rather than the force exerted behind it.
Page 1 of 2