Page 1 of 2
Hell mwah again! I've been looking into the big muff pi, which in my opion sounds pretty orgasmic. BUT! There are just to man muffs the choose from! Metal Muff, Big Muff, Little Big Muff, Muff with Tone Wicker, The older muffs, Russian Muff, i mean which one is the best!

I play black sabbath mostly and would really appreciate someone helping me pick out the best muff pedal out of all of those! Although the triangle and ram may be a tad bit out of my budget...

Thanks in advance!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Depends on your ear.
I like the Russian muffs for bass, and a regular Big Muff Pi with a few mods for guitar.
The Little Big Muff is essentially the regular one with a smaller pedal case. IIRC.
No know how about the rest.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Depends on your ear.
I like the Russian muffs for bass, and a regular Big Muff Pi with a few mods for guitar.
The Little Big Muff is essentially the regular one with a smaller pedal case. IIRC.
No know how about the rest.

yeah i dont play bass XD. But i think ill go with the big muff as of its looks, sound, and overall classyness. now which mods can i do on the big muff which you recomend (for sabbath of course)?
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
That's the problem with being a guitarist. Just too many muffs to choose from. I'd take the russian muff but that's cause I like the accent.
The tone wicker one is supposed to be pretty incredible and the Bass muff has this awesome mix knob on it that could get you some crazy guitar tones. Atm I'm lookin' into getting the new Germanium Muff4. It's like an OD and a strange Big Muff combined. Maybe give any of them a try?
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
TO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! The tone wicker one sounds kinda week compared to the big muff on all the videos ive seen. I kinda like the russian one, but ive heard alot of bad about it, and a bass muff? I'm not to sure about that....
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
TO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! The tone wicker one sounds kinda week compared to the big muff on all the videos ive seen. I kinda like the russian one, but ive heard alot of bad about it, and a bass muff? I'm not to sure about that....

There are different Muffs even of the same "type". I have 2 Russians built at different times. The cases are different and they sound a little different. For Sabbathy type stuff I like the rams head. Just build one (or more) yourself. Parts are like 5 bucks.
Green Russian is perfect for Sabbath tones. They are have more fuzzy quality to the tone than the Black Russians which is smoother and sounds more compressed. The NYC sounds like Jack White, I find that its not as versatile as some of the other muffs.

My favorite muffs in order are: Green Russian, Triangle, Rams Head, Civil War, IC
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
or if you are like me, use a russian and a Little big muff, since the old russian muffs are so damn big... but in all honesty, the 1ST run of GREEN russian big muffs are my favorite. They are the best distortion pedals with the distortion level set almost all the way down, and awesome fuzzes. I want to have to russians, one for distortion and one for fuzz. Get one.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Metal Muff not suprisingly is a great choice to do ahh..... metal. i have one it it was the winner over the other candidates as well as several other distortion pedals. does old school metal and the new stuff really well. very responsive 3 band EQ and has a treble boost as well.
Quote by Twistedrock
That's the problem with being a guitarist. Just too many muffs to choose from. I'd take the russian muff but that's cause I like the accent.

I lol'd. I don't think anyone else caught the double meaning...
Green Muff is the king of EHX/Sovtek muffs. But if you want a stock NYC muff, I shall sell you one. PM me...please.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Jarrodthebobo
yeah i dont play bass XD. But i think ill go with the big muff as of its looks, sound, and overall classyness. now which mods can i do on the big muff which you recomend (for sabbath of course)?

TBH I am not knowledgeable about mods- I know the basics, but nothing more.
Theres a mod, I dont remember, it improves high gain clarity. I think some caps were replaced with lower values, but I'm not too sure.
I A/Bed a Tone Wicker and LBM, and found the tone wicker to just be the same pedal but with more options. You can make a tone wicker sound like a stock big muff, but also different. I went with that one personally.
i think im going with the regular big muff. i like the tone and dont really need the wicker, and love how the big muff is a tank....THey russian one however is way outa my pric range and im not good with making stuff. also i want the real deall....
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
i think im going with the regular big muff. i like the tone and dont really need the wicker, and love how the big muff is a tank....THey russian one however is way outa my pric range and im not good with making stuff. also i want the real deall....

Buy mine.

Quote by bogg808

If he doesn't I may be interested... how much?
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by KailM
I lol'd. I don't think anyone else caught the double meaning...

i did...tehehe i feel 13 again
$60 pp'd and shipped in the states. I'll go international, but we'd have to discuss price.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
$60 pp'd and shipped in the states. I'll go international, but we'd have to discuss price.

i sent u a pm already u didnt respon. id like to buy it XD.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
I actually did respond to you, a while ago.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
I actually did respond to you, a while ago.

? i says i have no new pms :p
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Weird, well there's my price and all that whatsuch. Send me your shipping info and I'll try again to get you my pp addy.

Quote by bogg808

well i bought mcraddict's big muff XD. cant wait till it arrives.

But i have a question:

Should i run an overdrive into the muff, out of the muff, or no overdrive.

also what would be good settings on the pedal?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
well i bought mcraddict's big muff XD. cant wait till it arrives.

But i have a question:

Should i run an overdrive into the muff, out of the muff, or no overdrive.

also what would be good settings on the pedal?

no overdrive thru the Muff. (yes it can be done but usually sounds like crap). as for settings well no one that doesn't have your exact set up can give you truly useful advice. your best bet is to just take some time and experiment when you get it. actually that advice applies to any piece of gear you get. the best way to get to know your set up is to justtake some time to dick around with it and listen to what happens. great way to learn about tone.
A good way to get a really thick tone is to run a boost into the muff. That is basically what the pre gain control on a Musket is.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by monwobobbo
no overdrive thru the Muff. (yes it can be done but usually sounds like crap). as for settings well no one that doesn't have your exact set up can give you truly useful advice. your best bet is to just take some time and experiment when you get it. actually that advice applies to any piece of gear you get. the best way to get to know your set up is to justtake some time to dick around with it and listen to what happens. great way to learn about tone.

what about an overdrive with the gain backed off all the way XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
overdrive plus muff = win

ever hear any RHCP? Froosh uses a DS2 and a Muff together all the time
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
overdrive plus muff = win

ever hear any RHCP? Froosh uses a DS2 and a Muff together all the time

sadly no . ill experiment with them when it arrves :3
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Hey, so I ****ed up. Apparently the post office closes at 2pm on Saturdays, so I'll get it out to you Monday.

Again, apologies.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Hey, so I ****ed up. Apparently the post office closes at 2pm on Saturdays, so I'll get it out to you Monday.

Again, apologies.

thats fine. i went to GC today, damn i didnt think the muffs were THAT big!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Oh yeah, they weren't ****ing around when they named it. I love the audacity of EHX to be like "**** you, if you want our pedal, it'll take up half your board."

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Oh yeah, they weren't ****ing around when they named it. I love the audacity of EHX to be like "**** you, if you want our pedal, it'll take up half your board."

i like it though. if im jamming and someone pisses me off, just throw the big muff at them. they'll be ****ed but the muff wont XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Yeah, the thing about it is, they're pretty light. If you're gonna throw a pedal at someone, get an Echo Park, that ****er is like 2.5 lb or something retarded like that. Built like a goddamn tank.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Yeah, the thing about it is, they're pretty light. If you're gonna throw a pedal at someone, get an Echo Park, that ****er is like 2.5 lb or something retarded like that. Built like a goddamn tank.

lol. if i were to use a 9 volt wall adapter, what do i use?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
one of these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-1-8--1-SPOT-Converter-102450558-i1124561.gc

for the record, you're big muff used to be mine, you're getting freaky fourths with this muff
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

If you mean for powering the Big Muff, it's got a little adapter so a standard 9v adapter will work.

What's the term for 3rds, Dom?

Quote by bogg808

tattered thirds
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by mcraddict81592

****ing sigged.
Page 1 of 2