I have a Bugera 6260 combo which ive owned for over a year now, I like its tone and ive attempted to record it using a Shure SM57 (clone) but no matter what I do, wherever I position the mic it always sounds terrible. If I put my head next to the speakers and play it sounds the same, horrid, however when standing up or sitting normally it sounds great. People have mic'd these amps on youtube no problem but they are always using head+cab setups so im thinking the stock speakers are the culprit for the bad sound, so I was thinking of swapping them out.

Has anyone who has this amp/played through one done this? In amps ive owned in the past (Randall Warhead, Peavey Triple XXX) I found Celestion Vintage 30's improved their overall sound, could the same be said about the 6260? If not the V30 could anyone suggest some decent speakers I should look into?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
If you like the tone you're getting, but it doesn't sound good in recording, it's probably your mic, or the settings in your DAW.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by VillainousLatin
Sorry for not answering your question but there is a Bugera User Militia thread on here with a lot of helpful people,you should give that a try.

Ah right cheers, i'll look it up.

Quote by JagerSlushy
If you like the tone you're getting, but it doesn't sound good in recording, it's probably your mic, or the settings in your DAW.

Well I thought that at first, but I tested it, I ran a song on my CD player and recorded it using the mic and the recorded sound was almost exactly the same as the real song. Plus like I said, I put my head right next to the speakers and it sounded the same as the mic is picking up.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
Well I thought that at first, but I tested it, I ran a song on my CD player and recorded it using the mic and the recorded sound was almost exactly the same as the real song. Plus like I said, I put my head right next to the speakers and it sounded the same as the mic is picking up.

Oh my bad. When I read that I was like "but he said it's a combo? wtfzorz" Now I see, you were talking about your actual head

Just EQ-ing it for the mic should be enough. The EQ won't sound good if it's being heard up really close like that, and vice versa, so when you get done recording, you'll have to EQ it again for it to sound good everywhere else.

EDIT: I think I just sounded quasi-retarded there, so I'll rephrase. Change your EQ while you're recording, because the current one will sound horrid. After you EQ it, it should sound good. When you get done recording, you'll have to EQ it again though.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Apr 14, 2011,
Play around with different mic positions first. Basic rule of thumb is the closer to the center of the speaker, the harsher and brighter the sound. The farther from the center, the darker and lower the sound.

Here's what mine sounds like with a WGS Veteran 30, mic'd with an SM57. It's right were the dustcap and cone meet, backed off a few inches from the grill:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/swamphell3t.mp3?touch=s5e7CQ%3D%3D&w=e763bb27

Also, you will need to play with less gain when recording.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's