I've totally lost it. I've been sitting here with my guitar for an hour or so and I've been able to play exactly three ideas. I've been working on my playing technique, but I've been doing so by playing music that I 'like'. Some jazz, jazz-fusion, progressive rock/metal, metal, classical, virtuoso stuff, my own stylistic stuff, but I feel and have felt increasingly so that I don't love music anymore. I've discovered some of the greatest influences in the past few months, yet in doing so I'm at my worst point technique- and phrasing-wise; I bothers me deeply. I feel as though everything that I play sounds the same, and sometimes that is precisely the case. I can't sweep, can barely pick fast, have better-than-average legato, have quirky phrasing that can sound 'cool', but nothing truly emotional. I don't want to pull emotion, feeling, or even drive and will to play out of effects and a higher amplitude. Is the best way to regain faith in music and self just to change perception rather than to use a different chord progression and scale? I feel as though I've musically lost my mind and soul. Thoughts, suggestions? Wisdom?

P.S. This is very incoherent. I have dysthymia
You might could use some double modals.
Take a day off from your guitar and just appreciate life and what it has brought to you then the next day think about all the bad in your life then start playing lol. Could work? Ive done it before hahaha. It helps, and also, try to learn some of your favorite bands or idols songs to give you that emotion and power when you play
you just need a break from it, go look around the world there are plenty of things to give you inspiration...

also try listening to other types of music than you usually would, even if you can't play somethign it doesn't mean you can't come up with ideas from the piece.

and yes changing your approach can totally inspire you... instead of trying to go absolutely crazy, try something extreamly simple... something along the lines of breakdown by tom petty. try something slow, or try to just use a simple I-IV-V progression. you can try soloing with only tiny licks that range from only 1-4 notes, and just change the phrasing for them around.

listen to some blues to help you with licks, if you can't get soul from small slow licks you won't have any soul in quick runs. not that quick runs won't sound good, because it almost always sounds good when you shred through thirty notes in one measure, but trying to make one or two notes sound like a souldful lick takes more presicion and aflection. this will give you something to work with at faster speeds.

another thing you can do is try to figure out a piece arranged for another instrument on your guitar, this gives you different licks and things that you probably wont get from other guitarists. anyway good luck!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Now three people have said it....

TAKE A BREAK. We've all been there.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
i
Quote by AETHERA
I've totally lost it. I've been sitting here with my guitar for an hour or so and I've been able to play exactly three ideas. I've been working on my playing technique, but I've been doing so by playing music that I 'like'. Some jazz, jazz-fusion, progressive rock/metal, metal, classical, virtuoso stuff, my own stylistic stuff, but I feel and have felt increasingly so that I don't love music anymore. I've discovered some of the greatest influences in the past few months, yet in doing so I'm at my worst point technique- and phrasing-wise; I bothers me deeply. I feel as though everything that I play sounds the same, and sometimes that is precisely the case. I can't sweep, can barely pick fast, have better-than-average legato, have quirky phrasing that can sound 'cool', but nothing truly emotional. I don't want to pull emotion, feeling, or even drive and will to play out of effects and a higher amplitude. Is the best way to regain faith in music and self just to change perception rather than to use a different chord progression and scale? I feel as though I've musically lost my mind and soul. Thoughts, suggestions? Wisdom?

P.S. This is very incoherent. I have dysthymia

Listen to music that moves you when you hear it.

Get a slow downer...VLC or something, that allows you to change tempo, but keep pitch.

Use a looping feature.

Start learning the song.

I will tell you, that, thanks to one of my students I am being turned on to a fresh batch of music that is just inspiring me to learn their stuff.

There is a lot more interesting things that are happening outside of the mainstream, and while I doubt I'll see any of these artists in the big time, their music is definitely big time and inspiring. Its like drinking from a well that people havent been slurping in ad nauseum.

Currently I's listening to a dude who brings back some of that Steely Dan Lead vibe to music and its intelligent and bluesy and jazzy. And I'm figuring out every lick that guy plays. Its not difficult but its fresh and it sounds fresh and the theory insight that I have tells me what's going on so I have a big picture context wise which, I cannot overstate how cool it is and how many more songs are "brought home" when you see the big picture.

That's how I'm staying fresh, I'm going to learn and absorb music that inspires me, and if I get nothing else but a rush when playing side by side to the CD then that's fine with me. I could go for years learning music that way.

Best,

Sean
There are really only two ways I know of to overcome this type of blue funk.

1. Walk away for a while. Do something you like. Stay gone until you feel like you HAVE to play.

or

2. When you don't feel like playing, play until you DO feel like playing. Push though.
Write a song about your current feeling, which is the genuine emotion you are seeking.