Me and my best friend both love music. Its our lives, and its gotten us through the hardest times of our lives. Hes been playing guitar on and off for 3 years, ive been playing for... 5 days. (lol but i am progressing) Were going to the same college next year, and we decided it would be cool to form a band. The plan is, im rhythm, hes lead, and one of our friends who was in a band with someone we know, may be the drummer. Were not really worried about the actual thing atm, because I need to get as good as he is in 6 months that hes gotten in his years of playin on and off.
Aside from that, me and him have VERY different tastes in music. (some in common, but not enuff) Im practicing things that are mellow, such as "To zanarkand" (FFX) "zeldas lullaby" (zelda) "Dealy beloved" (KH) "Blackbird" (beatles) and such. Hes doin crazy shit like stone sour and slipknot, kamelot, and such. Im severely outclassed by him in that regard, but also is that our music is so different, im curious what kind of band were gonna form, when we do.
Just let everyones influences form a cohesive flow man. Thats how it should be. Just let it flow man, let it flow.
THALL
Cool.

Different people bringing different things to a band is what makes them unique.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
You will both get married on top of a mountain and there will be flutes playing and tamourines and garlands and flowers and your children will form a family band and you will tour the country side and I won't be invited
Your gonna form your own style there And so what if he can do that stuff, you probably have a skill that he doesnt and that could be finger picking. NONE of my friends can finger pick and I now about 10 guitarists. That will help you create more things and have a better sound quality with him doing a nice harmonizing solo thingy lol. Just go with the flow and good luck!
Quote by Twist of fate
You will both get married on top of a mountain and there will be flutes playing and tamourines and garlands and flowers and your children will form a family band and you will tour the country side and I won't be invited

I saw what you did there.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

depends, my money is on your friend being a total **** and forcing you to play his shitty thrash and death music. If he really is a cool guy, and is laid back, you'll end up just playing whatever and making some cool stuff that everyone will be cool with. the former is what 99% of the people I've come to know would do in that situation, though.
Quote by kurtebirdi
depends, my money is on your friend being a total **** and forcing you to play his shitty thrash and death music. If he really is a cool guy, and is laid back, you'll end up just playing whatever and making some cool stuff that everyone will be cool with. the former is what 99% of the people I've come to know would do in that situation, though.

Actually... I feel like he would kind of do this.
With 5 days of guitar under your belt, the real question is 'what can't you do?'
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Hit the road, Satchmo.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Quote by Jackintehbox
Kamelot isn't "crazy shit", it's awesome. That is all I have to add.

Yup, it's pretty nice.
Quote by Jon777
Cool blog, bro.

To Zanarkand and Dearly Beloved... aren't those piano instrumentals? Did you learn super-simplified guitar versions of those songs, or...?

Yea, I thought they would be something I enjoy, and theyre (for the most part) easy.
me and my best friend have been playing for over 5 years, the funny thing is he used to be into really altrocky shit and I got into classic rock. Now he is super bluesman and I play a lot of grunge. Not that we ever play together anymore.
If it doesn't work out with him, tell him I'm looking for a lead guitar.

Quote by kurtebirdi

For the record, thrash and early death metal isn't shit, dumb****.
there can be a mix you know...

try some melodic, ambient death metal or something. Or heavy metal with video game influences. Like Dragonforce, but not as wank.