Page 1 of 2
I just sold my Vox VT50 because it was to heavy and I hated to cary the thing around (I don't jam in a band), It was way way too loud (I play at TV volume level), The UK models did not really sound like Marshall

I love the Marshall tone, when I bought the Vox I thought it sounded better than the Marshall MG's, back then Marshall had discontinued the DSL401 and There was nothing small worth buying from them.

I need to buy something small for my apartment, can't play loud

For me Marshall sounding is very important but Marshall has nothing good going on for them at the moment I don't like the Marshall Haze its too soft and not Marshall sounding in my opinion.

If I am to blow a lot money it better be something that I think its awesome and I am going to feel like playing.

Here is kind of what I need:
Channels: 2 one clean and one Metal
Speaker: 10 inch I don't want to carry heavy shit if I am not in a band cranking it
FX: Reverb should be fine
Pedals: I don't like them so tube + pedals is out of the question
Bands I like: GNR, Metallica, Green Day.....
Price range: 50-1200 dlls
I tried the Fender Champ XD and it was noisy (hummer!) replaced it and still humming so I returned it + models were no good.

When I bought the Vox I thought the distortion channel sounded more like a marshall than the Vox british setting but the quality of the texture of the distortion on the vox was a lot better to my ears.

I am a beginner so I am still learning and would love to have a line in so I can put a backing track and practice.

I read a lot of negative feedback on the MG's that they suck and ar bad. But are they really bad a low volumes? like if I get something like the Marshall 15Fx?

Tried the Vypr and was not impressed I think the Vox sounds better.

Last week on Guitar Center I played around with the Mesa boogie express 5:25 and It kind of was Marshall sounding (perhaps because of the EL84 on the powerstage). The amp has 2 channels and its not very heavy I was really impressed by the little amp however is not a Marshall I am afraid I might not like it after a while. So its an expensive amp no to like it :P

So I could buy:
1) Mg15 Fx while I learn and pray Marshall releases something like the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 (they have not released anything like that, they tend to add more features to big amps neglecting us that need a home amp)
2) Buy a Vox again maybe the vt20+ (I am reluctant due to not liking the models that much but it should be a good sounding amp)
3) Buy the Mesa Boogie and pray (sacrificing the ability to use backing tracks because this amp boes not have that feature)

See one of the thinks I hated about the Vox was no line in to backing tracks I really would love that feature.

Call me crazy but should I just buy the small MG while I wait to find something better? I could save myself a lot of money that way.

Thanks
DrEvil
You won't save money if you buy an MG--it'll be pure waste. I prefer my VOX DA5 over my MG30. And I prefer my JVM410 to both if I have to play over drums.

The MGs sound awful at all volumes and are in no way a step up from a VT50.

Have you tried the Fender Mustangs?

I wouldn't worry about not being able to play a backing track through the amp--it won't sound good through any amp with a speaker voiced for guitar anyway.

Isn't the Boogie a tube amp? Thought you didn't like tubes?

Maybe try a JVM205 used? If you go with the head you can unplug the speaker from your VT50 and solder up a speaker jack to it and plug in the head directly to the speaker--and use it as your cab. I do that with my JVM and my MG cab for small venues.

I know this isn't small, but it should get you the tone you're looking for and since you're not in a band you won't have to lug it around far.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Apr 14, 2011,
Don't buy an MG, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The MG is not the Marshall sound you know and love.

If you're wanting a Marshall for metal, you're going to have to go high wattage or nothing. There is no Marshall amp that is low wattage that can do metal.

The best low wattage Marshall tone you can get is from either the 1974X 18w amp, or the Marshall Studio 15. For clones, you could look at the Valvepower 18w, which uses the 1974X circuit if I'm not mistaken. None of them will do metal without a serious overdrive or distortion pedal, however.

If it must be a Marshall the best you can get is a JCM 900 SL-X or JCM 800-KK, none of which are available in combo form. The Marshall DSL 201 might get you the tone you're looking for and if I'm not mistaken they're also rather low wattage.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by jetwash69

Have you tried the Fender Mustangs?

No I haven't are they any good?
Quote by jetwash69

Isn't the Boogie a tube amp? Thought you didn't like tubes?

Tube are the best Yes Boogie is all tube but not Marshall sounding
Quote by jetwash69

Maybe try a JVM205 used? If you go with the head you can unplug the speaker from your VT50 and solder up a speaker jack to it and plug in the head directly to the speaker--and use it as your cab. I do that with my JVM and my MG cab for small venues.

I know this isn't small, but it should get you the tone you're looking for and since you're not in a band you won't have to lug it around far.

I live on a small apartment Maybe in the future when I own a bigger place :'(
+1 to what Raijouta said

what kind of music do you play mostly?

what bands, guitarists, etc do you like?

------------------------don't buy:
Marshall MA, MG, Haze, DSL401 combos imo
TSL 60 and Class 5 are decent but honestly,

if the VT50 was too heavy and you don't like the Vypyrs then I'm not sure what to rec'
Quote by Raijouta
Don't buy an MG, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The MG is not the Marshall sound you know and love.

If you're wanting a Marshall for metal, you're going to have to go high wattage or nothing. There is no Marshall amp that is low wattage that can do metal.

Sad isn't it?
Quote by Raijouta

The best low wattage Marshall tone you can get is from either the 1974X 18w amp, or the Marshall Studio 15. For clones, you could look at the Valvepower 18w, which uses the 1974X circuit if I'm not mistaken. None of them will do metal without a serious overdrive or distortion pedal, however.

If it must be a Marshall the best you can get is a JCM 900 SL-X or JCM 800-KK, none of which are available in combo form. The Marshall DSL 201 might get you the tone you're looking for and if I'm not mistaken they're also rather low wattage.

Space is a problem that is why I am looking for something small 1x8 or 1x10 Volume is also a problem it has to be quiet my neighbor is the complex manager and he is an ass!
^ You could try killing him with volume.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 to what Raijouta said

what kind of music do you play mostly?

what bands, guitarists, etc do you like?

------------------------don't buy:
Marshall MA, MG, Haze, DSL401 combos imo
TSL 60 and Class 5 are decent but honestly,

if the VT50 was too heavy and you don't like the Vypyrs then I'm not sure what to rec'

Lately I have been learning the Sweet Child main solo, Some spain rock band solos (I like solos :P), some green day I like to practice power chords on... I am learning... I do cary the amp sometime to play at a friends house and at low volumes so I need to cary the amp around sometimes but for what I do and play small is better. I can always buy a bigger one if I ever have the need to..

I know I am pushing it here LOL! its hard!
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ You could try killing him with volume.

I bought a DB meeter just to play at the Max volume allowed (how it sounds from outside my unit... just to annoy him :P
blackstar ht1? sounds like it could work for you..low volumes and whatnot. or the new marshall class 5 combo. its 5 watts, and can be switched to like a quarter watt or something like that and is really quiet

detailed review on class 5 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMN5OQvQJM&feature=channel_video_title

Blackstar : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaYgJesWeM

idk your price range, idk what dll curency is so sorry if im way beyond it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Robfreitag
Second hand JCM 800 combo with 1 12" speaker.

I had one a while back, awesome!

Way to loud and big since the dual channel one is a 2x12
Quote by EspTro
blackstar ht1? sounds like it could work for you..low volumes and whatnot. or the new marshall class 5 combo. its 5 watts, and can be switched to like a quarter watt or something like that and is really quiet

detailed review on class 5 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMN5OQvQJM&feature=channel_video_title

Blackstar : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaYgJesWeM

idk your price range, idk what dll curency is so sorry if im way beyond it

Haven't seen the blackstar ht1 I will do the research
The Class 5 sounds good but it does not do metal and it's only a single channel amp... For something like that I think the Bugera V5 is a better deal.. I like that little bugera but its only for cleans...
Quote by DrEvil
Haven't seen the blackstar ht1 I will do the research
The Class 5 sounds good but it does not do metal and it's only a single channel amp... For something like that I think the Bugera V5 is a better deal.. I like that little bugera but its only for cleans...

never negate the future of pedal purchasing but the class 5 is extremly sweet, and mabye cant do metal but shouldnt be overlooked.....it could be capable of some thrash.

the blackstar can def do some good metal
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Mustangs are getting a lot of fans--pretty versatile; especially if you hook it into your computer to tweak settings further. Hard to tell the difference from a tube amp in a live setting.

Even with the master volume, the JVMs might still be too loud for you. When practicing at home I have to run mine through a pedal to get it quiet enough so my ears don't ring afterwards--and that's at the lowest volume before it cuts off. (I guess I could just turn the gain or the channel volume to less than 10, but screw that!).

Maybe wait another month and see what the POD HD is like. If I were you I'd just get a POD HD500 right now, and play it through whatever. But you don't like pedals for some reason.

If you're using something like any of the PODs you can play through a real spacesaver like the VOX Mini 3. I don't have experience with it yet, but it's the replacement for the discontinued DA5 and that thing just rocks for its size--lots of low end. The Mini 3 has a 5" speaker.
Don't stress over speaker size. I run a 5W Champ (not the right amp for you) into a 12" speaker and it doesn't magically make it sound louder, just better.
And MG's will NOT give you a Marshall tone.
A Class 5 will work for you if you run a boost or a nice distortion pedal in front of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'd say marshall class 5 cause mgs suck and modelers can't get the classic marshall tone IMO
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by jetwash69
Mustangs are getting a lot of fans--pretty versatile; especially if you hook it into your computer to tweak settings further. Hard to tell the difference from a tube amp in a live setting.

Even with the master volume, the JVMs might still be too loud for you. When practicing at home I have to run mine through a pedal to get it quiet enough so my ears don't ring afterwards--and that's at the lowest volume before it cuts off. (I guess I could just turn the gain or the channel volume to less than 10, but screw that!).

Maybe wait another month and see what the POD HD is like. If I were you I'd just get a POD HD500 right now, and play it through whatever. But you don't like pedals for some reason.

If you're using something like any of the PODs you can play through a real spacesaver like the VOX Mini 3. I don't have experience with it yet, but it's the replacement for the discontinued DA5 and that thing just rocks for its size--lots of low end. The Mini 3 has a 5" speaker.

Well I feel like if I use a pedal then I should just go ahead and buy a solid state amp
Pods are good for recording in a computer When is the POD Hd coming out? (not the food pedal one, but the computer interface?)

I will read on the VOX mini 3
Quote by EspTro
never negate the future of pedal purchasing but the class 5 is extremly sweet, and mabye cant do metal but shouldnt be overlooked.....it could be capable of some thrash.

the blackstar can def do some good metal

That blackstar HT1 sounds interesting (saw the video) too bad it has no EQ but still sounds interesting I wonder if Guitar Center has them so I can go check it out. the HT5 also looks good depending on its size...

I will see if I can try a pedal in front of the Class 5 and Bugera to see how they sound... What distortion pedal is a good one that does not sound too bad?
The Class 5 will have a good amount of gain with a clean boost, but don't expect a real tight sound to come out of it, since the power section will still be sagging quite a bit.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Using a pedal in front of a full valve amp does not a SS amp make, especially if it's just a clean boost pedal. That signal still has to go through a valve amp and still gets all that nice soft clipping. Even if using a distortion pedal all that signal still gets pushed through a full valve section which takes a lot of the curse off it.
David Gilmour uses pedals to get his distortion but you can still hear the warmth of his Hiwatt. SRV used to get his overdrive by feeding a Bassman with two tubescreamers. Get the picture?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Using a pedal in front of a full valve amp does not a SS amp make, especially if it's just a clean boost pedal. That signal still has to go through a valve amp and still gets all that nice soft clipping. Even if using a distortion pedal all that signal still gets pushed through a full valve section which takes a lot of the curse off it.
David Gilmour uses pedals to get his distortion but you can still hear the warmth of his Hiwatt. SRV used to get his overdrive by feeding a Bassman with two tubescreamers. Get the picture?

This. A distortion pedal won't ruin your tone.

But also the sad truth is that the tones you want ultimately come from high gain, high wattage amps, which are usually run pretty loudly.

The closest you can get is with something like a Wampler Pinnacle run into a tube amp. Maybe the Bugera V22?

I honestly don't see how you're going to achieve that sound at low volumes without high gain pedals.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
your price range is 50-1200 dllls. what is a dllls?

the studio 15 is what you are looking for. goes for $500-650. good call dylan.

on the cheap a class 5 and good OD pedal would work too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Save your pennies and get yourself a Baron Snott Watt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DrEvil
That blackstar HT1 sounds interesting (saw the video) too bad it has no EQ but still sounds interesting I wonder if Guitar Center has them so I can go check it out. the HT5 also looks good depending on its size...

I will see if I can try a pedal in front of the Class 5 and Bugera to see how they sound... What distortion pedal is a good one that does not sound too bad?

i think i might pick up one of the ht1 too....mabye the 5w version though. mabye get somehting like a mild OD to work up the class 5, but thats going to be the closest youll get to marshall tone because....wel.....its a tube marshall haha
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Cathbard
Save your pennies and get yourself a Baron Snott Watt.

is it good? The baron page does not list it, or maybe I got the wrong page
Blackstar HT-5!

made by former marshall workers i think, and its versatile, really versatile, clean to metal (especially when boosted). Apparently the new one will have more gain on tap (plus reverb) so maybe thats suited for you!
The ISF knob lets you take it from USA (tight and scooped) to UK (marshally, lots of mids, fatter/warmer) so you can achieve your high gain tones as well as marshally crunch! Its not too loud either, sounds great at lower volumes, but loud enough to use with a band should you need it. Plus emulated output for silent practice

To me it sounds like the perfect amp for you, lots of people love them (some hate on them claiming they arent truelly all tube, but its no worse than using a SS OD!)
Quote by DrEvil
Well I feel like if I use a pedal then I should just go ahead and buy a solid state amp
Pods are good for recording in a computer When is the POD Hd coming out? (not the food pedal one, but the computer interface?)

Mid-May. I'm talking about this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=H72932

No reason not to use it with a small amp to color your tone, even though you could also plug it into a computer for recording or whatever. I guess if you have good enough computer speakers you could do that instead of an amp.
I just came back from Guitar Center here is what I found out:

1) Found the Marshalls but they had few so I tried the Mg 15Fx MS it does not sound bad, I think the fact that it has 2 speakers (micro stack) helps. However someone started playing the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and I had to say it made the amp sound bad! Tube tone is so much better and fuller.... The Mg15FXH was kind of quiet at Max volumes, I mean don't get me wrong it was loud but not it was not deafing like other amps.. Its 15 watt I was expecting 50+% volume of a 100 watter but this thing does not deliver that maybe 7% tops. Well I don't care about volume since I play on an apartment at night.

2) Played with the Mesa Boogie Express... Amazing sounding amp! however the volume required to begin to make the amp sound good (better than the MG) right about 1 in the volume scale 1-10 its WAY to loud for my appartment below that 1 volume the amp kind of loses it and its crap.

3) Tried the Fender Mustang II and it sounds good and its loud very loud.. However for some reason the 80's rock setting had flanger on it and I could not remove it, not even the guitar center guys.. maybe its a defective unit. Cleans are very nice.. It lacks a Stand alone reverb control. And I could tell it was a single speaker compared to the Mg. However I think overal its a better sounding amp than the MG. Downside its that its a single channel. It has a foot switch input but don't know what its for (need to research).

4) Vox VT 20+: Right away it was clear that the sound coming out of the Vox was way better than the Mustang, even with a smaller speaker. However powerchording ok UK 80's alone would make the speaker buzz and muddy even when the bass knob was all the way down. Very disappointing bass output. But the sound was way fuller... impressive what throwing a tube into the amp does.

5) Mustang V Head: I saw it but was afraid of playing it because of wanting it LOL! If the Mg15H 2 speakers make the amp sound better I wonder what a 4 speaker cab can do to my ears :P I wish I had a big house with a sound proof room :P

6) Bugera V22: at low volumes it was crap, worst than the MG, it sounded thin, at high volumes I don't know I left the amp there. Disappointing considering I liked the V5.

7) Marshal Haze: Did not like the tone coming out of it.

8) Blackstar Ht5: Not impressed, the vox sounded better.

9) Peavy Valve King: Too heavy and I did not like the tone coming out of it, I rather get the MG. I guess not all tube amps sound good.

10) JCM 800 used combo with 2 channels Well this amp was looking sad, heavy battered, expensive, heavy and quiet... No sound came out of it... Broken.

11) Vyper's: Saw them but forgot to play them.

12) Line-6's Saw them but I have played them before and I am not a big fan of what comes out of them.

13) Orange TT combo: Sounds awesome but its controls are very limited for a 900 dlls amp.

14) Marshall Class 5: N/A sold out

15) Bugera V5 + Pedal: V5 sold out.

So far so good, I need to pay a visit to another Guitar Center soon and see what they have to see if I can try the V5, Class5 and Mustang I and hopefully they will have another MG15 head because I tried disconnecting one speaker and sound goes down to the point of getting any other amp although I think this amp is done for me its a no buy.

Thanks
Luis
Quote by DrEvil
I just sold my Vox VT50 because it was to heavy and I hated to cary the thing around (I don't jam in a band), It was way way too loud (I play at TV volume level), The UK models did not really sound like Marshall

I love the Marshall tone, when I bought the Vox I thought it sounded better than the Marshall MG's, back then Marshall had discontinued the DSL401 and There was nothing small worth buying from them.

I need to buy something small for my apartment, can't play loud

For me Marshall sounding is very important but Marshall has nothing good going on for them at the moment I don't like the Marshall Haze its too soft and not Marshall sounding in my opinion.

If I am to blow a lot money it better be something that I think its awesome and I am going to feel like playing.

Here is kind of what I need:
Channels: 2 one clean and one Metal
Speaker: 10 inch I don't want to carry heavy shit if I am not in a band cranking it
FX: Reverb should be fine
Pedals: I don't like them so tube + pedals is out of the question
Bands I like: GNR, Metallica, Green Day.....
Price range: 50-1200 dlls
I tried the Fender Champ XD and it was noisy (hummer!) replaced it and still humming so I returned it + models were no good.

When I bought the Vox I thought the distortion channel sounded more like a marshall than the Vox british setting but the quality of the texture of the distortion on the vox was a lot better to my ears.

I am a beginner so I am still learning and would love to have a line in so I can put a backing track and practice.

I read a lot of negative feedback on the MG's that they suck and ar bad. But are they really bad a low volumes? like if I get something like the Marshall 15Fx?

Tried the Vypr and was not impressed I think the Vox sounds better.

Last week on Guitar Center I played around with the Mesa boogie express 5:25 and It kind of was Marshall sounding (perhaps because of the EL84 on the powerstage). The amp has 2 channels and its not very heavy I was really impressed by the little amp however is not a Marshall I am afraid I might not like it after a while. So its an expensive amp no to like it :P

So I could buy:
1) Mg15 Fx while I learn and pray Marshall releases something like the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 (they have not released anything like that, they tend to add more features to big amps neglecting us that need a home amp)
2) Buy a Vox again maybe the vt20+ (I am reluctant due to not liking the models that much but it should be a good sounding amp)
3) Buy the Mesa Boogie and pray (sacrificing the ability to use backing tracks because this amp boes not have that feature)

See one of the thinks I hated about the Vox was no line in to backing tracks I really would love that feature.

Call me crazy but should I just buy the small MG while I wait to find something better? I could save myself a lot of money that way.

Thanks
DrEvil

I gotta reccomend the jet city Picovalve. It's a 5 watt amp, and sound pretty marshally to me, plus it's got a 2W switch so you can crank it and it won't be very loud. They go for about $250 but the markup is pretty good, I've read of people getting them for $190. I got mine for $235. It doesn't have enough gain to do super heavy death metal, but with a boost it can do metallica esque stuff. It's perfect for rock though.

Here's what mine sounds like:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/blink182-damnit.mp3?touch=s5e7CQ%3D%3D&w=ff834fa2
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I dont know why you need a 2 channel amp if you're not gigging..? anyway, the number of speakers/size of speakers are not going to affect tone that much, especially at the volumes you're playing at, so dont worry about that. also, why are you against getting pedals?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by DrEvil
I just came back from Guitar Center here is what I found out:

1) Found the Marshalls but they had few so I tried the Mg 15Fx MS it does not sound bad, I think the fact that it has 2 speakers (micro stack) helps. However someone started playing the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and I had to say it made the amp sound bad! Tube tone is so much better and fuller.... The Mg15FXH was kind of quiet at Max volumes, I mean don't get me wrong it was loud but not it was not deafing like other amps.. Its 15 watt I was expecting 50+% volume of a 100 watter but this thing does not deliver that maybe 7% tops. Well I don't care about volume since I play on an apartment at night.

2) Played with the Mesa Boogie Express... Amazing sounding amp! however the volume required to begin to make the amp sound good (better than the MG) right about 1 in the volume scale 1-10 its WAY to loud for my appartment below that 1 volume the amp kind of loses it and its crap.

3) Tried the Fender Mustang II and it sounds good and its loud very loud.. However for some reason the 80's rock setting had flanger on it and I could not remove it, not even the guitar center guys.. maybe its a defective unit. Cleans are very nice.. It lacks a Stand alone reverb control. And I could tell it was a single speaker compared to the Mg. However I think overal its a better sounding amp than the MG. Downside its that its a single channel. It has a foot switch input but don't know what its for (need to research).

4) Vox VT 20+: Right away it was clear that the sound coming out of the Vox was way better than the Mustang, even with a smaller speaker. However powerchording ok UK 80's alone would make the speaker buzz and muddy even when the bass knob was all the way down. Very disappointing bass output. But the sound was way fuller... impressive what throwing a tube into the amp does.

5) Mustang V Head: I saw it but was afraid of playing it because of wanting it LOL! If the Mg15H 2 speakers make the amp sound better I wonder what a 4 speaker cab can do to my ears :P I wish I had a big house with a sound proof room :P

6) Bugera V22: at low volumes it was crap, worst than the MG, it sounded thin, at high volumes I don't know I left the amp there. Disappointing considering I liked the V5.

7) Marshal Haze: Did not like the tone coming out of it.

8) Blackstar Ht5: Not impressed, the vox sounded better.

9) Peavy Valve King: Too heavy and I did not like the tone coming out of it, I rather get the MG. I guess not all tube amps sound good.

10) JCM 800 used combo with 2 channels Well this amp was looking sad, heavy battered, expensive, heavy and quiet... No sound came out of it... Broken.

11) Vyper's: Saw them but forgot to play them.

12) Line-6's Saw them but I have played them before and I am not a big fan of what comes out of them.

13) Orange TT combo: Sounds awesome but its controls are very limited for a 900 dlls amp.

14) Marshall Class 5: N/A sold out

15) Bugera V5 + Pedal: V5 sold out.

So far so good, I need to pay a visit to another Guitar Center soon and see what they have to see if I can try the V5, Class5 and Mustang I and hopefully they will have another MG15 head because I tried disconnecting one speaker and sound goes down to the point of getting any other amp although I think this amp is done for me its a no buy.

Thanks
Luis

hot pocket?
Quote by gregs1020
hot pocket?

?

I mean hey if the micro stack sounded good, jump on it...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Gundamnitpete
I gotta reccomend the jet city Picovalve. It's a 5 watt amp, and sound pretty marshally to me, plus it's got a 2W switch so you can crank it and it won't be very loud. They go for about $250 but the markup is pretty good, I've read of people getting them for $190. I got mine for $235. It doesn't have enough gain to do super heavy death metal, but with a boost it can do metallica esque stuff. It's perfect for rock though.

Here's what mine sounds like:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/blink182-damnit.mp3?touch=s5e7CQ%3D%3D&w=ff834fa2

Sounds good Does it sound good not cranked?
Quote by JAHellraiser
I dont know why you need a 2 channel amp if you're not gigging..? anyway, the number of speakers/size of speakers are not going to affect tone that much, especially at the volumes you're playing at, so dont worry about that. also, why are you against getting pedals?

Well some songs go from clean to dirty but its not the norm... +I can't play dem yet :P at least not fully with a BT
Quote by gregs1020

I mean hey if the micro stack sounded good, jump on it...

LOL! but hearing other stuff makes me doubt myself :P I might go for the Mustang I until I out grow it or find something better
The mustangs cleans are decent, the gains are unimpressing generally. IMO...
Call me crazy, but if you're looking for something quiet, why don't you either a) get a modelling processor thing, like a POD, or B) get the amp with the tone you want and get some nice headphones?
Page 1 of 2