Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for songs that are reminiscent of carnival songs. Darker/metal songs would be preferred. I'm trying to see how people have accomplished the sound.

An example of the kinda stuff I'm looking for: "They're Not Horses They're Unicorns" by Bayside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7M4U6F3t4

Anyone know any good "carnival-sounding" songs?

PS. Yes, I realize a lot of the songs you post will be actually carnival songs. Hahahilarious
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Inb4 Sweet Child O' Mine story.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sW0AqrnmQI

short little tune from The Who's Tommy, written and sung be Mr. Keith Moon himself
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Psyclon Nine - Parasitic

Sounds like an evil circus.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Harmonic minor on an organ. Any organ will do. Maybe a little bit of 3/4, BITCH.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
"****ing Americans... You think you're so cool"

I love that song.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
A lot of things from Man Man.

One part of Haven't You Heard by Jeff Buckley i always imagine that the final product would have sounded circus-ish.

Being for the benefit of mr kite from the beatles
Maybe Merry Go Round- Motley Crue. Always reminds me of Carousels at least.
Raffi M Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
The instrumental parts in Cemetery polka by Tom Waits remind me a bit of carnival music.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Check out Leon Russell's album Carney. He is an incredible piano player/song writer/singer, and the whole album sounds is so carney it's corney. (Yeah I went there)
Thank you good kind people for your suggestions. I'm mostly trying to see how people approached the sound in their song, whether the carnival music was the song, or just hidden in it, or based around it, or whatev.

Anymore, if you so will.
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by DrDeathjeans
Thank you good kind people for your suggestions. I'm mostly trying to see how people approached the sound in their song, whether the carnival music was the song, or just hidden in it, or based around it, or whatev.

Anymore, if you so will.

You Can't Kill Michael Malloy by The Spent Poets (which also appears on Primus' first album) comes to mind. Coattails of a Dead Man by Primus also has carnival themes, and is a waltz with the whole Im-V chord progression (not sure I wrote that write at all) which I think is a part of it. I've never really thought about what makes it "carnival".

Listen to the Rain Dogs album by Tom Waits, since that sort of theme comes up a bit, as it does in other Waits works, it's just that album comes to mind.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by rebel rocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sW0AqrnmQI

short little tune from The Who's Tommy, written and sung be Mr. Keith Moon himself

Good pick, but Pete wrote and sang on it. Keith only sang it in the movie and sometimes live.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by piratemetalhead
thats gay as fvck im not even joking

You've peaked my interest...what is "gay as fvck"?
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Alabama Song (whiskey bar) by the Doors
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
I love the proggy to reggae to carnival ending of Universal Minds by LTE.

linky.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I am disappointed no one has mentioned Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite yet. John read the lyrics off of a poster for a circus!
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Page 1 of 2