Hello everyone,

For a while now I've been recording songs for my friend Jordan. I think I've gotten it down somewhat well, but the one thing that's bothering me is that the tracks just don't sound "alive." It's kinda hard to explain what I mean. If anyone can hear it too, and has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a bunch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cVvzoN6nk
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
No one hears it too? Anyone have any constructive criticism? On the actual recording techniques, not so much the song.
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

The problem is that you aren't adding energy when you go into the chorus. You're still basically using an acoustic guitar and one singer, with no bass and no drums. The harmonies are fairly loose and flimsy to begin with in the verse, but there's absolutely no real structure when the chorus rolls around. Have you ever thought of putting some "oohs" and "ahhs" behind him to fill things out? Perhaps add a bass and drums when you kick into the chorus? I'd also definitely go back and look at the harmonies he's doing and make sure he's not just doubling his voice an octave higher - that doesn't help things much. Thirds and fifths are your friends. As far as the recording quality goes, I'd say it's all quite good. You just need to add better harmonies and more instrumentation.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
The problem is that you aren't adding energy when you go into the chorus. You're still basically using an acoustic guitar and one singer, with no bass and no drums. The harmonies are fairly loose and flimsy to begin with in the verse, but there's absolutely no real structure when the chorus rolls around. Have you ever thought of putting some "oohs" and "ahhs" behind him to fill things out? Perhaps add a bass and drums when you kick into the chorus? I'd also definitely go back and look at the harmonies he's doing and make sure he's not just doubling his voice an octave higher - that doesn't help things much. Thirds and fifths are your friends. As far as the recording quality goes, I'd say it's all quite good. You just need to add better harmonies and more instrumentation.

I definitely agree with drums and bass. I think he intended on adding bass at some point, drums are a little more difficult. I do like the idea of more structured back-ups. Thanks a lot for the input!
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson