Hey guys, just joined up UG Forum tonight.

I just bought a BBE Maximizer (382i) tonight at Guitar Center after some research, and I think I know how to run it into my setup, but I thought I'd ask and find out for sure.

So I'm running my guitar into a Boss Noise Suppressor, straight into a Marshall JVM210, which is playing out of a 1960 lead cabinet.

I've read that I should hook the BBE up through my effects loop. So do I just run a 1/4" from the JVM's 'Send', into the BBE's "Channel A Input", and then run a 1/4" from the BBE Channel A "Output" into the JVM's 'Return'?

Seems like that's the most logical thing, but I'm always tentative when it comes to hooking up new things to my amp.

Thanks!
Sweet thanks! Yep I went with the rack version as I'm trying to get away from any pedals on the floor to get in the way. (Save for the NS-2, which I will never part with now. haha)
Out of curiosity, if only the guitar is in front of your amp, why put the NS-2 in front and not in the loop? Or do you do the X config where it ends up in both?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hmm I don't know, I've never actually used the effect loop on my amp. I figured I would get the most effect out of the NS-2 if it was between my guitar and the amp input. The music I play has very quick start/stop breakdowns at some points, so I need a very tight and fast attack and release.

Does the placement of the NS-2 make a difference?
If that's how you're using it, it may. I assume you're using the preamp of the JVM for your gain? With the NS-2 before the preamp, the only signal it touches is your guitars. Which isn't bad/wrong, it'll help cut down on extra noise from the pups and it will focus your attack pregain. In the loop, it does the same along with cutting pregain noise and focusing the attack of the signal after preamp gain. It makes a difference in how it sounds (to me, anyway) but it comes down to personal preference on what you prefer.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ohhhh, I think I finally understand the purpose of an effects loop now. haha thanks for the explanation, I'll put it in the loop next time and see how it sounds. I do have to play with some pretty high levels of gain for some parts, so maybe it will help completely silence any hiss. (As I've still got some coming through even with the NS-2 turned almost all the way to max.)

Thanks again!
No problem. And don't be afraid of running it in the X configuration (I can't find the diagram at the moment, but I'm sure you can if you want to try it) which lets you run it in both locations. That would give you tight focus control plus take care of your preamp gain hiss. Though, with no other effects out front, that may actually be overkill...yeah, nevermind.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have that same model
Bought it at a pawn shop for $30!
Worked wonders on my Vox AD30VT.
Ran it through the effects loop.
Didn't do shit for my Vox AC30.

An E cookie for spotting the oddity there
Quote by ohiomatt33
The music I play has very quick start/stop breakdowns at some points, so I need a very tight and fast attack and release.

Does the placement of the NS-2 make a difference?

Sounds like you need a good compressor, what amp are you using?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Don't listen to that snake oil comment - it's ignorant. Use it sparingly. You shouldn't have to set the knobs past noon - else it starts sounding digital.

A noise suppressor in front of your amp will quell feedback. A suppressor in the loop will take care of hiss. If you're having a problem with both, then the NS2 X pattern will work, but it will stomp on your tone. I would avoid the X pattern and put it where you're having the most problem with noise.
Quote by CodeMonk
I have that same model
Bought it at a pawn shop for $30!
Worked wonders on my Vox AD30VT.
Ran it through the effects loop.
Didn't do shit for my Vox AC30.

An E cookie for spotting the oddity there

One's hybrid, one's all tube.

In my experience the Sonic Maximizer does absolutely nothing on a good amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13

Well true...but thats not the oddity.
The AD30VT doesn't come stock with an effects loop.
But I added one
Quote by CodeMonk
Well true...but thats not the oddity.
The AD30VT doesn't come stock with an effects loop.
But I added one

I didn't even catch that.

I've never really played a VT series, though. Are they any good? I need a cheap practice/chilling with some friends amp that actually sounds good.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Mine has served me well since I got it (4 years ago?)
IMO, its a good practice amp as long as you don't have to worry about a drummer drowning you out. At least for the 30w version.
I don't know anything about the newer ones though.
Quote by stratman_13

Thats what I was going for, not sure what amp he had. BBE is great for shitty amps.. But does more damage than good on a nice amp from my experiences.
It all depends on the voicing of the amp....not the quality.
It DOES help 5150/6506/6262 style heads that are very mid-range heavy amps... not as usefull with amps that come with lots of low end from the factory. Many things the Sonic Maximizer can do, can be done with an EQ in the loop... just not quite all things.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Its definitely a huge impact on whatever you are using.

I first tried one with my 6505+, at first I was amazed. But after a while ehh.
Quote by 667

A noise suppressor in front of your amp will quell feedback. A suppressor in the loop will take care of hiss. If you're having a problem with both, then the NS2 X pattern will work, but it will stomp on your tone. I would avoid the X pattern and put it where you're having the most problem with noise.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out both ways and see what sounds the best.

And I've got the Marshall JVM210 head, so I hope it's a nice amp. haha sounds great to me, but I definitely do want a little more low end hit, so I thought the BBE would help out. I've got a couple friends who run them as well and they all recommended it.
I have owned two of them from my early days. I speak from experience. If you believe you need one, you likely have other issues in your setup.

I prefer to focus on EQ and compression, rather than a 'black box.'