So lately I've been thinking about building my own amp. Theres a local guy by me that makes really good cabs for cheap and i figured i could wire everything myself paint it etc. but what im wondering is how would it sound compared to high end amps like ampeg and other brands given i find the right place to get speakers? it will probably be a half or full stack. whataya think?
Left handed bass player

1998 Fender Mexico Jazz Bass

2006 Warwick 5-string Rockbass
that depends completely on how good you and the guy building your cab are.
no sir away a papaya war is on
well ive heard nothing but great things about the cab builder, and im decent at wiring but my buddy is a sound guy and is a wiz at electrical stuff hah
Left handed bass player

still, there is no way to know what any of this will sound like. you are the only person with access to his cabs to know how they will sound. you are also the only one who knows anything about the amp you are building.
True I was just seeing if anyone on here has made their own cabs and if its worth investing
Left handed bass player

Yes, people have made cabs here. You need to do a lot of research on dimensions and matching speakers, but it's by no means very difficult.

Amps on the other hand... A valve amp is dangerous and difficult to make. The schematics are long and if you're unused to reading them, confusing. Troubleshooting is very hard with a DIY amp. The current held in capacitors are at dangerous levels, easily enough to kill you.

Would it sound as good as an Ampeg or similar? Maybe. Probably not the first one you build though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
depends on how big the amp is. small tube amps are way less dangerous. anything that will put out gig worthy volumes will kill you htough.