So here's my problem:

Right now I'm actually quite happy with my first bass (A Dean EVO-XM, Bass Guitar), but during our battle of the bands, one of the judges, a legend in the local scene, autographed my bass. I've asked a few people (from a quite credible music shop) how to keep the autograph there for quite a while. I asked about Lacquer, and even the crude way of using varnishing, but they say it'd fade one way or another and told me just to let it be, or buy a new bass. (Yeah it seems like they just want me to purchase a new bass, but I'm still scared and unsure). If I were to keep it, how do you think I could keep the autograph on my bass for a long time? And if I should get a new one could you suggest to me a nice bass guitar?

I mostly play Thrash Metal/Rock, and my band plays Pop Rock, and Pop stuff. So I'm looking for a nice versatile bass guitar which can support Metal to Pop. I've been looking around the forums and found that the Fender Jazz/Precision bass, but found that they're a little too expensive so I'm currently looking a Squirer by Fender. What should I get? Jazz or Precision? Affinity, Artist, Classic Vibe, Standard, or Vintage Modified? And what do you think are their price range?

If you guys can answer both questions, that'd be a really great help! Thanks in advance guys!

Edit: After 4 years of joining the UG community, I finally posted something in the forums!
Last edited by Kagenozuko at Apr 15, 2011,
Squier make good basses, althoguh the consensus is to avoid the Affinity series.
As for Precision or Jazz, see if you can try them and see which you prefer. oth have there advantages and disadvantages, althoguh I think Precision basses are more common in the metal scence (although there are some players who use Jazz basses).
The price range is usually about £200+ (from a quick search) although you may be able to find cheaper used, at different retailers.

As for keeping the autograph on the bass, no idea, sorry!
That's really cool about getting your bass autographed

If you're looking for Squiers, the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are the first ones I'd look at. I have a Classic Vibe Jazz and it's incredibly good, they're all really good quality.

Have you tried looking at other brands? Or are you definitely stuck on Squier? I have an almost biased soft-spot for Yamaha basses :P
So +1 for the Precision Bass and the vintage and classic.

@jamie, Mind giving me a suggestion? Like I said above, I need something that can play a lot of genres nicely

Thanks again guys
if you wanna spend the money, a fender p bass special runs about 650, thats what i use and i play everything from classic rock, to punk, to metal and hell even a couple rap beats for my cousin when he wants to freestyle. but if you wanna save on some money go for a squire, or an ibanez. my ibanez 5 string hasent failed me yet, i even used it in a battle of the bands with my last band, and the judges told us afterward that i was probably the best sounding part of the band. those are my suggestions, good luck finding one you like.
Ibanez Bass guitars have a notorious reputation for slapping. And I kinda like to slap on half if not more of my songs. And I don't think I can afford a fender right now. I'll stick to a Squirer.
Eh Lol
Quote by Kagenozuko
Ibanez Bass guitars have a notorious reputation for slapping. And I kinda like to slap on half if not more of my songs.

That's rubbish. Ibanez are just as good as any other brand for slapping. Especially the ATK line.
Quote by Kagenozuko
Ibanez Bass guitars have a notorious reputation for slapping. And I kinda like to slap on half if not more of my songs. And I don't think I can afford a fender right now. I'll stick to a Squirer.

Where is all this bullshit about Ibanez basses not being any good for slapping coming from lately? It. Is. Bullshit. That's all there is to it. You're playing on a Dean for Christ's sake.
And generally a used Standard MIM Fender will run you about as much as a new Squier VM or CV so a used P special isn't going to be much more.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Where is all this bullshit about Ibanez basses not being any good for slapping coming from lately?

I think its coming from people disliking the tighter string spacing on SR's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I loathe SRs, but I'm not stupid enough to say you can't slap on them. What about that Gerald Veasley sig? The string spacing on that is 14mm vs Ibanez' usual 16.5 and people slap on that fine.
I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying it's down to preference. 19mm 4 lyf brah.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'll take a look into a few ibanez basses then, any model I should be looking at?

Also, don't Fender MIMs cost a lot?
Eh Lol
^ They only go for around $300 used.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos

This is an Authentic Fender? Woah, That's incredibly cheap.
Eh Lol
MIM's aren't that exspensive used compared to their MIA models.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Kagenozuko
This is an Authentic Fender? Woah, That's incredibly cheap.

Seriously, some Squire classic vibes are built better than the MIM Fenders, and vice versa; play them before you buy. At least in the stores here in Texas, some of the Vibes are built better.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Use the searchbar or go to the GB&C forum.This kind of thing has come up before.No point buying a new bass if you don't need it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I do think that I need it, unless you have a solution for my autogrpahed bass problem.

@loinmute
So Classic Vibe Precision (some) are built better than some of the MIMs? Alright then, I'll try to check these out as well.
Eh Lol
This is the first relevent thread I found after searching,and there are many others.https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027749&highlight=autograph
If you want/need a new bass,that's an entrirely different matter
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Tostitos

Ive been hearing this since the day I joined this website and I have yet to see a MIM Fender below $500 ._.

I probably just have bad timing or just crappy luck.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Ive been hearing this since the day I joined this website and I have yet to see a MIM Fender below $500 ._.

I probably just have bad timing or just crappy luck.

You must just have bad luck, I rarely see a standard MIM selling for anything more then $350 or so. There's one on my CL right now for $100.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
You must just have bad luck, I rarely see a standard MIM selling for anything more then $350 or so. There's one on my CL right now for $100.

The only thing $300 and below I usually see are all Squiers and that's counting CL as well. I see better Ibanezes on sale for less!
pinga