I am thinking of purchasing an electric guitar i have not much knowledge on the subject so if somebody could help me this would be great.

I am currently thinking of buying Epiphone Les Paul or the SG 400.. can someone please help me out and let me know which would be the better choice. Thanks
What type of music do you play mostly?
The Epiphone Les Pauls will give you a ton of versatility, depending largely on what amp you're running?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well i guess i will be playing a variety of music mostly metal most likely. i am currently using a line 6 spider 15 watt amp
Oh boy...get ready for a flood of "get a new amp" comments.
Look i'm just going to tell you, the Epiphone Les Paul is certainly good for versatility and longetiviy of use. I mean it was made by a jazz player and now thrash metal players use them. Good hardware, grover machine heads, proper stop tail bridge system and a nice comfortable set neck construction.
But that's just me, some people find it uncomfortable and like the SG better. At the end of the day they use the same parts and pickups in both, so sound wise will be similar.
You might want to invest in a new amp, even if it's a small upgrade to something like a Peavey Vypyr or Fender Mustang I.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
No problem mate.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
The SG is lighter, I'd say it's more fun to play, but then again I'm bias as I own one XD

A new amp would be a good investment.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
If you're not too fussed about having the exact Les Paul shape, i know that a Vintage V100 is pretty much an Epiphone Les Paul, it has the same specs, same woods and pickups but its half the price.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Conformist
The SG is lighter, I'd say it's more fun to play, but then again I'm bias as I own one XD

A new amp would be a good investment.

Pretty much this.
They're both cool guitars, but they each have a very different feel. Like Eppicurt said, tone-wise they'll be about the same. I personally love the look of SGs, but I don't like playing them. If you've never picked one up, they're VERY headstock-heavy. The neck of the guitar will actually drift towards the ground if you let go of it. Some people say a leather strap helps, but for me it just used to twist my t-shirt around my body as the guitar swung down.

A Les Paul on the other hand will be much heavier, and you will feel it more when you play. But they're also one of the best balanced guitars out there (for me anyway). They just feel right.

You owe it to yourself to check these both out in person at a local store. They really do feel completely different. Quality and sound-wise they'll both be about the same. Go with whichever one feels/plays the best to you.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Thanks for the help i guess i will just have to try them out and pick which one I feel most comfortable with. Thanks a ton guys