Please dont abuse me if this is a stupid question i am a novice i seem to be having trouble with it. Basically when you have to mute a string like on the tab below.

do you rest a finger on the string you want to mute while holding the other notes down? i am finding this kinda tricky just wondering if this is the correct way to do this. Thanks

|-----------------------
|-----------------------
|-3333-----------------
|-xxxx-----------------
|-5555------------------
the way i'd do it is have 4th finger on the 5 and index on the 3, and use 4th finger to mute the middle string. don't know if that is the 'accepted' proper way of doing it though but it damn sure works.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Index on the 3, ring finger on the 5. But the ring finger mutes the A string. Just shift your finger angle a bit 'till it mutes.
I usually use the finger I use to fret the 5 to also lightly cover/touch the string to be muted. That works for me, and sounds good.
Gear:
Schecter Damien Elite FR CRED
Ibanez RG7321FM w/ DiMarzio Bridge pickup
Roland CUBE 40XL
Digitech RP355

Quote by zgr0826
Banned because Raep = Me Gusta

ಠ_ಠ
well, the way i do it is when im fretting on the third, I fret with my finger just lightly resting on the string i want muting.
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
I fret 3rd fret with my index finger and 5th with ring finder and lay the index finger so that I mute the A string (while still fretting 3rd fret, ofc).
Thanks guys just wanted to make sure i was doing it correctly. Thanks